“Great hotel, right in the middle of town!”
Review of The Queens Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Queens Hotel
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We enjoyed this hotel so much that we extended our 2 night stay by another night. And even then we only left because we had run out of time. What more can I say?

Excellent location right in the thick of it. Probably not so good if you're coming by car (no parking), but great if you're not. We had just done a gruelling stretch of the South West Coast Path (Pendeen - St Ives), so catching our first glimpse of this place was truly a sigh for sore eyes.

The room was very clean and comfy (we were given one which faced out to the back, which apparently was much quieter), the pub was lively and friendly (it was open-mic night), the staff helpful and polite, but best of all was the food. This is a proper gastro-pub but without being poncey. We got top-notch grub at reasonable prices, and the atmosphere was relaxed and fun.

All in all, this is a great establishment, and I would very very happily stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My partner and I wanted a short break in St Ives this half term, and booked this hotel, 29th of october to the 1st of November 2012....I d recommend this like a shot, a fantastic hotel/pub...word of warning, no parking as mentioned elsewhere and due to width of street right outside, very very tricky to stop an unload, keep in mind, double yellow lines...the best car park we could find was at the leisure centre, but the steep path and steps down to the centre of town does make you feel like a mountain goat !....On arrival, we immediately loved the atmos, the decor, it was great..the check-in was at the bar, no problem at all....our room was top floor at the rear....absolutley first class...spotless clean, the bathroom, top notch...the bed seemed a little low but was fantastic, we had great sleeps....we could even see the rear area of ms hepworths house, for the art historians out there !!! even though a pub and signs saying an open mic evening we heard no noise.....my partner has told me that I must add that one morning, there was a water issue, the shower stopped....the water did return but was a good few minutes later...
The breakfasts were in my opinion, some of the best I ve ever had...the staff attentive and nothing too difficult, plenty of extra tea and coffee offered...the pub area a sheer delight with stripped wood tables and floors..
One criticism, we did have lunch one day and was a little disappointed with the size of the portions...however the quality was first class..
I did develop a taste of 'corev' lager and was happy with the array of beers on offer...the missus wasn t impressed with the pinot though....
This hotel will be used again by us and I would defintetly recommend to anyone....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just returned from a very enjoyable weekend stay in St Ives at the Queen's Hotel. Very good food, both in the evenings and for a traditional English breakfast. Great beer - particularly recommend the "Proper Job" from St Austell Brewery. Live music both evenings. Very nice atmosphere in the bar made you not want to go to bed. Good central location for exploring the town, and parking not too far away, at the railway station. Rooms simple, clean and bright. Free wi-fi an added bonus. We will return !!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Although not staying at the Queens Hotel, I would like to say that the several lunches and evening meals which I had during the summer were absolutely top quality. Even when merely
popping in whilst in the area, I have found it to be a very convenient and friendly place to go for a drink.
I also visited on Sat. 15th.September and enjoyed a wonderful evening being entertained by
virtuoso guitarist Terry Lees. It was amazing to be able to hear such a world class musician in
such lovely surroundings, and all for free!
I have found that the staff are always polite and friendly and, as a trained work study engineer,
I have to say that they are all extremely hard working. In particular, staff member Chris worked
particulary well under the pressure of a packed out evening and nothing was too much trouble for him and at other times he has always been extremely helpful with any information which I have needed.
A very convenient location, right in town.
Well done everyone!

Room Tip: I was visiting the hotel,not staying.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephanie H
Reviewed September 28, 2012

....the rooms were well equiped and perfectly clean, the bed, bathroom, linen, towels and toiletries were of suprisingly good quality, the fact the the linen and towels were changed without asking after two nights on a three night stay was a bonus. Being at the back of the hotel the room was very quiet, Staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast a little limited but very well done and served with a smile.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DrewEssex
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here in August but when we arrived our online booking for 2 adults and a child was only registered as 2 adults. I had all the documentation and - luckily - the family room was available for al but the first night. That first night in a really magical little room with double bed and camp bed was gratis and they couldn't do enough for us.

So I would advise confirming by telephone as the problem was clearly with the online booking process.

We had a splendid stay at the Queens Hotel. The food was lovely and the atmosphere was charming. Best breakfast I've had anywhere in quite a while. The venison we had for dinner on night 2 was really special. My 7 yr old had a great time and wants to go back.

We were there on open mike night and the noise could not be heard in the family room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you are looking for accommodation in the heart of St.Ives, then you cannot do better. However, do not expect anything other than the basics. I assume that an inventory of the room's contents contained in the guest information folder was meant to deter would be thieves but to list some of the furniture as "antique" and to include the folder itself in the list was mildly amusing. There was a very weak WiFi signal in the room which in practice rendered it useless. TV reception was also poor. At the price, I would expect a comfortable chair to sit on and a writing desk/table but neither was on offer. Despite the comments contained in some of the reviews, I found the staff friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good although choice was limited. Bar menu was imaginative with food locally sourced. Comments concerning noise from the bar in the evening, particularly in rooms on the front of the hotel are justified but, in reality, it is to be expected in a hotel of this type and is not a major issue.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter but remember that you are in the heart of a town which at...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo