“What a Find”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2013

For the last 4 years visiting St Ives we thought this place was just a fish and chip cafe. How wrong we were.
We reckon this place serves the best fish meals of any we have eaten in town and the prices are very reasonable.
A large board displays the days catch and diners can then choose how it is prepared,and cooked and what sauces etc you would like. I know other places in St Ives do similar things but The Beach does it BETTER.
The views from the restaurant are fantastic...the panorama of the whole harbour is right before you.
The staff are friendly and helpful even though the place is so busy. Well done Beach Restaurant for getting everything right

1  Thank Susan J

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were shown to our window seat overlooking the harbour which was very nice. We started with the muscles which I had not had before but my wife had. They were very nice and served with 2 large pieces of crusty bread. Unfortunately it went down hill from there. I ordered the lobster £18.95 which I had looked forward to all week. When it arrived my disappointment was obvious to my wife. It must have been the smallest lobster I have ever seen and was very bereft of meat, I got bigger when I paid $1 on a cruise in Cuba. The lobster was served by my choice of duck fat roasted potatoes which were overcooked and dry. I did however try some of my wife's mustard mash which was very tasty and accompanied her crab balls which she thought were tasteless and the chilli dip was like something you would get from Asda. The whole meal came to just over £40 including 1 glass of coke, (which we got free when I complained about the lobster) and a large glass of wine. I can't fault the service which was excellent but on the whole the evening was disappointing. I wish we has gone with our first instinct and sat and had fish and chips in the sun on the harbour.

4  Thank csopete
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Just across from the harbour in St Ives is a great take-away fish bar. What we didn't realise is that upstairs there is the very stylish and relaxed "Beach Restaurant". The great thing here is that you can choose from about 7 varieties of fresh fish from the local catch of the day and tell the staff exactly how you would like it cooked! We chose fresh whole Sea Bream and some local Scallops. Both were amazing and cooked to perfection as we had ordered. We drank some nice Sauvinon Blanc to accompany our food. The staff were helpful and friendly - and the view from this restaurant is to die for: a wide vista of the harbour, beach and nearby Carbis Bay.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

They managed to make a mess of the reservation for a birthday night out and didn't have a record of our booking, but to their credit the staff found us space - but unfortunately not by the window as originally requested. However, the seafood platter starter was very well cooked, and my John Dory was cooked to perfection, doing justice to the ultra-fresh ingredients. The staff were helpful and attentive, and nothing was too much trouble. And at the end of the night presented us with a bottle of bubbly to apologise for the reservation mix up. Overall, very good seafood.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We booked here after reading numerous reviews, it was a hard decision as it was for my 30th birthday and we needed to find somewhere that would suit 6 adults and 3 children under 4. We were not dissappointed, we had a long table by the window which over looked the harbour. Tgey had put happy birthday confetti on the table which was a lovely touch.

The menu had a great choice of food and it was so hard to decide! We all had starters, the mussels were delicious, and the homemade soup was beautiful. For mains we had a variety of dishes which were all beautiful, I had lamb shank which was so tender the meat just fell off the bone, so delicious, my husband had the lemon sole fillets and you got two big portions of fish and chips, the fish was the nicest fish we have ever eaten! Other dishes we had was sirloin steak, and duck, all divine! Childrens meals were big portions and again great quality.

Staff were very friendly and attentive. So glad we booked here as from the outside with it being above a chip shop it probably wouldnt of appealed to us, but we were so pleased.

At the end of the meal, the staff played happy birthday and brought a cake over which my husband had organised and the whole restaurant clapped! Lovely touch. Would highly recommend here, for couples and families.