“Last minute treat turned bad.”

LongCross Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 29 Restaurants in Port Isaac
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
South West England, United Kingdom
“Last minute treat turned bad.”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I like long cross, i live locally and go there for a treat.
Last night I took my wife out as we have had a busy couple of weeks but I came away wishing I had not bothered.
We were ignored on arrival. When we did stand up to be seated a drinks order for a large table took priority to us being seated.
We were seated by the door and the views were stunning but the draught from the door were more so. The door was in constant use and when the party from outside held the door open for their slow moving precession to go through followed by the foreign waiter we had had enough.
We were all set to leave but ended up sitting at another table, but the whole room was cold.
I was not asked if the meal was ok.
My wife sat for most of the meal without a drink only when the food came out could I get the attention of a waiter to ask.
All in all I wished I had stayed at home and considering the cost of the food and drink it should not be like that.
The food was ok we both had steak but no better than I would have got in any one of my local pubs and the plate was loaded up with lose leaf salad like the £1 bags from Asda except the Asda salads are not gritty.
I am struggling to say how disappointed we both were.
The views are still lovely pity about everything else.

1 Thank andy5038

North Cornwall
“Lovely food, stunning location”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Like a previous commentator I can't believe some of the reviews for Longcross Hotel, my wife and I have eaten here on at least 3 occasions in the last 3-4 Months and twice last year, we live in Cornwall but travel at least 30 minutes to do so, but the view alone makes it worthwhile. However, it's equally the food that makes the trip worthwhile and we have never been disappointed, so while I respect others opinions our experience suggests that some criticism here is harsh, the menu has been varied, even on the Sunday lunch menu and thankfully they keep the delicious roast beef on, the staff have always been polite, the service is good and in our opinion the prices reflect what we have always been happy to pay and tip.

1 Thank BodminPhil
“Superb Sunday lunch”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I can't believe some of the previous reviews noted, it doesn't appear to be the same place that we've ate at on two consecutive Sundays.....we had an amazing Sunday lunch at the Longcross Restaurant, meat melted in your mouth, great selection of freshly cooked vegetables and great yorkshires and roast potatoes. Very tasty starter and presentation was of a high standard. Wonderful views and very attentive waiting staff, nothing was too much trouble....looking forward to our next visit

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Review of restaurant”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We ate here and were the only people in the restaurant which was a bad sign. The food was terrible. Two of us had the fish pie which was tasteless and full of grease. Both were returned after one mouthful. Instead of an apology the waiter told us that is was supposed to be that way. None of us enjoyed our food. We asked for a bill and waited so long to pay that eventually I had to go to the bar to pay- this was despite the fact that the whole place was still empty. When I paid there was still no apology. If two people return the same dish then there is something wrong with the food- not the diner! If you value your customers apologize for bad service and bad food- in this case they should have apologized for both.

3 Thank Martin M
Truro, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Have been to this restaurant many times and as local often bring visiting friends because food always good & setting beautiful. Oh dear what has happened! Visited for Sunday lunch and although the starter and sweet were up to the usual standard the main course was poor. Apparently there were no Yorkshire puddings with the roast beef as the chef had burnt them! Roast potatoes and parsnips were unroasted and greasy (reminded me of school dinners!). Two green veg chucked on top of inedible, overcooked chunks of chewy beef that was so tough my friend who has arthritic hands could not cut it and had to get her husband to cut it up for her! The meal was also cold. Yes I should have returned it but as the friends did not want to make a fuss I left it. (As did a lot of diners appear to be doing with the meal -I gave up the unequal struggle with the meat!). So sorry Longcross I do not know what has gone wrong but I for one will not be returning anytime soon and will not be recommending you! I have had better food at a motorway services! (For a lot less money).

1 Thank Eglos_13