“Perfect Pub”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This pub was amazing. We stopped here for lunch after a long drive and had possibly the best ham egg and chips! We came back again during the week for a few drinks and stayed right till close.

The best part about this pub was the staff, as we were the last people in the bar and had a long walk back to our hotel the bar tender kindly gave us a lift back. We didn't catch his name but what a hero!

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Port Isaac for a week in April with our 2 cocker spaniels so this pub was perfect for us!
Warm welcome from staff on arrival, we sat downstairs (dogs can't go upstairs), was lovely atmosphere, fire lit, few people eating few at the bar etc. Nice choice on menu. We both went for the potted crab for starter which was delicious! Then I had fish and chips = lovely (massive) & my partner had sausage and mash. We both throughout enjoyed our food & bottle of wine. Cost us around £60 for 2 courses and wine...just under £60 if I remember correctly. This is about average for the area.
During the daytime there is a lovely terrace you can sit on in the sunshine overlooking the harbour!
Lovely traditional pub, good food and most importantly DOG FRIENDLY! Worth a visit.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Having visited Port Isaac twice, I have to recommend the Golden Lion for the most amazing fish and chips. I enjoyed it three times and, without doubt, it is the best I have ever had. We tried other fish and chip places in Port Isaac, but there was no comparison. The take away was served in a box with home made tartare sauce and a pot of mashed minted peas. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. The staff were friendly and the landlord, Dan, runs the place well. It is an old pub with somewhat dated decor downstairs, but with a great verandah looking out over the bay. However, upstairs there is a nicely decorated restaurant and the steak meal we had there was also excellent. Well worth a visit... or two...or three!

1  Thank jonah5000
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The best we have ever tasted and so was the Cornish sausages & mash followed by a scummy crumble to finish - great welcome by the owner with a smile - good food home cooked

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We had some drinks here, bartender could not recommend a beer for me but luckily a guest came to aid quickly:) heard rumours that hey have nice food, we did not eat here. Sat outside and enjoyed the view.