“Good food - good position”
Review of The Golden Lion

The Golden Lion
Ranked #6 of 30 Restaurants in Port Isaac
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Lovely ambiance in the pub - good food - good service - fun night - not far to walk from Sipway Hotel which is where we stayed

There are newer reviews for The Golden Lion

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We chose to have lunch here on a recent holiday, but were not impressed at all. We ordered the' local freshly caught mussels ' advertised on a board outside but were then told these were unavailable so we had to choose alternatives. My fishburger was overcooked and the mushy pea puree it sat on just tasted unpleasant. I also found a long hair caught in my side salad, Yuk !!. My husband's burger was overcooked and the children's meals looked unappealing, the waitress was sullen and unfriendly. We loved Port Isaac but this pub is awful !!.

2  Thank Karen M
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Been here many times fantastic atmosphere, friendly locals without a shadow of doubt my favourite place. Service was good, food just as such staff excellent 1 stood out inparticular, Sam. (the irish one) with the glowing personality and welcoming presence most our many visits wothwhile.

1  Thank charles10111
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Not a great place to go, had to put up with a drunk local who was abusing all tourists and when he wasn't doing that he was turning up the music volume full blast. I can understand that things like this can happen and I would not hold it against the owners but every one behind the bar was watching and didn't do anything about it. We had to leave in the end because my children even started to notice. I get the real feeling that the locals really don't wont tourists in there town even though I don't think they could survive without us

7  Thank lisdoogan
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This magnificently positioned pub could have a contented crowd queuing up Fore Street, but it has sold itself to the "Take the money and run" business model. Service is offhand (with the notable exception of the young Irish lady behind the bar) and the Guinness is sour and indicative of poor line cleaning. We didn't eat there, but the food coming out of the kitchen did nevertheless look appetising. Given that a restaurant 300 yards' walk at the top of the hill was offering half a lobster with salad for £15, the Golden Lion's blackboard offering the same for £45 (oh I forgot, that included a glass of wine) or £80 for a whole lobster was frankly criminal, and reinforces the impression that tourists are there to be relieved of their money at any cost and that repeat trade is of no concern. I used to drink in this pub 35 years ago. J and M Spry will be turning in their graves.

3  Thank Sailor232