“although it was rainy we had a pleasant visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Smiling Sardine - CLOSED

Smiling Sardine
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: informal, family friendly dining, home cooked food, breakfast lunches evening meals
melbourne
“although it was rainy we had a pleasant visit”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

we arrived in port Isaac hungry. I was a bit disappointed in regards to the town. ncant put my finger on it. but being a pilgrim of doc martin show the town looks better on tv. maybe because docmartin is always filmed in the sun. how do they do the sunny bit. anyway after walking down to the village we settled on the Smiling Sardineback at the top of the village for lunch. I guess it was because down the village there were all sorts of "do not sit on my property " signs that detracted from the cuteness of town. again we love off season travel and I can believe this place I the summer would be a nightmare hence the signs

I am glad we settled on the smiling sardine. food was great. service delightful and again being out of season the owner and chef had time to talk to us about the village. ( I love that more than the food). although the food was great. the experience made the rainy day abut more pleasant

cheers
from down under
des

3 Thank MelbourneDes

London, United Kingdom
“Homely Atmosphere & Good Food in Port Isaac”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had our evening meal at the Smiling Sardine three times during our stay at Port Isaac. Being Half-Term we were not sure if it would be difficult getting a table but, possibly as we opted to eat early, we had no trouble getting a table here or at "The Edge" further down the road. The service was always very friendly & informal. My wife and I rated the food excellent (A special mention for Exe Estuary mussels and lamb shank). All in all good value and the bill ended up about 2/3 - 3/4 the cost at "The Edge"
I believe there is a "takeaway option" available but I am not sure whether this is just the fish & chips. Well worth a visit!

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Bernie W
London
“Best restaurant in Port Isaac”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great food in friendly little restaurant. Don't bother going down the hill....this is the best place and close to the car park. Sardines and mussels were yummy.

1 Thank Cafelito
Bury st Edmunds
“best fish & chips”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

better late than never with our review! On a very wet week in September we found the smiling Sardine, the meal & service really cheered us up. We ate some of the best fish & chips we have ever tasted. Thank you!

• Visited September 2012
Bristol
“Little Gem”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just bought a holiday home in the area and finding all the places to eat. We came across the smiling sardine and decided to eat there on a Sunday evening in October. Well it was great. The owner was lovely and took the time to talk to you. Had a young guy there learning the ropes and he was very pleasant. The menu had some interesting dishes and they had a few specials. The food was very good and will defo return.
Well recommended if your in the area.