Old School Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Slipway B & B(Port Isaac)
  • Breakfast included
Port Gaverne Hotel(Port Gaverne)
The Cornish Arms(Pendoggett)
St. Moritz Hotel(Wadebridge)
Daymer House(Trebetherick)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsenglish roomart roomdoc martinmusic roomcar parkquirky hotelhouse hotelfish piean evening mealfishing villagefresh seafoodtv showlarge roomfantastic locationoverlooking the harbourboth nightsfamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a week. The staff was great. We enjoyed the breakfast every morning. We felt at home. We had two different rooms while we were there and we enjoyed both of them. It was a special week!

Room Tip: We had the English room to start and it was great to be able to look at the center of town from the room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

For Doc Martin watchers or for anyone who just wants to soak up the quaintness of a Cornish fishing village, this is the best place to stay in Port Isaac. Don’t expect pristine modernity because that not what an old fishing village is about but if it is the experience and the pursuit of something different and special this is for you.

Room Tip: We had the English room which is essentially a suite and has the most commanding view of the harbour both from the arched windows and the quaint floor level windows. If you stay at the Old School, you really need to go the whole hog and stay in this room.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

my husband and i have just had three nights at the old school hotel,from the time we booked in to the time we left we could not fault anything.the staff were young but very nice and polite,especially SAM,she could not do enough for us.the 2nd evening we came back from a day out and could not park,sam sorted it so we could get parked.the breakfast were very good,not greasy at all. we ate there one evening which was very good.the room was adequate(FRENCH). the location was brilliant,everyone was really friendly.would stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank shelley c
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is not a 5 star hotel.The room was clean ....The bed was comfortable...The food was superb...The staff were pleasant,polite and friendly...The view from our room was spectacular.I nearly decided not to stay here because of previous reviews and i am glad i chose to see for myself.If your looking for slippers and fluffy bathrobes then no ,this is not for you, but we loved it!

2  Thank pjt666
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My partner and I at the Old School Hotel for a week on our annual holiday.

First impressions were great- you can't fail to be impressed by the building! Parking is also a massive plus.

Unfortunately, that's about where the good ends... Upon being shown to our room (which absolutely reeked of cheap cleaning products), we started noticing little bits and pieces..

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely not the worst place I've stayed and I know that a fishing village in Cornwall is not going to be the Ritz....but for the price we were paying I believe you're entitled to a certain standard- not grubby walls, stained sheets and pillow cases that were apparently "rusty"?!?? For us to think that going back to our house would be nice because it is clean is saying something!

Off duty cleaners smoking where you're trying to enjoying food purchased at the hotel... No tact!

And finally, a cooked breakfast that ranks among the greasiest I've ever eaten... And no beans?!?? A travesty!

I hope this review doesn't sound like I'm whining about nothing.... This is the kind of place that makes me think I could be a hotelier. Think the owners need some time away and then come back and see it from a 3rd person perspective as for the money they're charging.. This place comes up woefully short and is clearly trading on (a fading) reputation and its doc Martin credentials.

• Stayed: July 2013