“Wonderful Location + Service”
Review of Old School Hotel

Old School Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Port Isaac
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during August 2012, with my 2 grand-daughters, and we absolutely loved it. I was so happy that the hotel found a room for us during their peak season, as I only decided to travel down to Cornwall from London a couple of days earlier.

The breakfasts in the restaurant were great! Staff very polite and helpful too.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: In choosing a room, I would request a room overlook the harbour.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MyButtons

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I used to go down to the seas again.. smuggling bottles of whisky into Cornwell. Actually I gave them to our customers hence the unseasonal time of year.I booked in here because the Hotel in St Agnes where I was thinking of staying let it slip that I would be the only guest and could choose my own music to be played in the Bar.No way was my secret about the Worzels going to come out.So I booked in here and discovered on arrival that I was their only guest ! Nevermind it was very reasonable the food was very good and the staff were ,well the staff were there which is always a relief when you are the only guest on a dark and stormy night .Which it certainly was and that made it a really Cornish Christmassy experience and unusually for Port Isaac its got a Car park ! yes I would go back..

Room Tip: ask for the biggest they have !
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Richard D
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Great views over the harbour but needs a lick of paint - could be so much better with a little investment. Did not try the restaurant and it looked empty. Only one nice looking restaurant in the village (The Middle) which was fully booked. Lots of visitors due to Doc Martin but Port Isaac needs a boost to take advantage of them.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night. Room small but adequate. Bath not designed for someone 6ft2. Staff friendly. Breakfast good, as was evening meal. Would happily stay again, although largely because of location. Views special, good feel to village.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed in June, in the Art room, nice and quiet at the back of the hotel. Location of hotel is perfect, perched over the Port Isaac harbour. Staff were local and friendly, we had breakfast each day and one dinner in the restaurant, and all meals were wonderful. The hotel is old, but that adds to its charm. We hired a car from Blackbird car hire, car was waiting at Bodmin Parkway railway station (we travelled from London) and collected from the railway when he left - would highly recommend Blackbird. A small car is recommended, the streets are very narrow, particularly so in Port Isaac. Local food is fantastic, especially if you're fond of strawberries, clotted cream, fresh seafood and pasties!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in August , our rooms werent ready when we arrived , not sure why but was quickly attended to. The place could do with a bit of renovating , the rooms we had were tidy but felt a bit damp , no double glazing on the windows so a bit noisy too. Breakfast was great and plenty to eat we also had dinner here and couldnt fault it .

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lesp49
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The food was ok, but the service slow and unfriendly and it was impossible to negotiate the pushchair to a table in the empty restaurant. When we asked if they had anywhere to change a nappy, I was treated with complete distaste by the bar tender. His horror at my request was shocking and left us in no doubt that familes were not welcome. Even with it being a hotel, They had nowhere to offer so we had to change our toddler and a baby in the middle of the restaurant. We left with the distinct impression they wanted to serve only cream teas to an older generation. It was a shame as we were clearly the only party eating lunch and not cream teas! One to avoid if you have a family with toddlers or babies, or like us both!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge
The St Enodoc Hotel

Been to Old School Hotel? Share your experiences!