“TIRED, RUN DOWN, AVOID!”

Killigarth Manor Holiday Park
Oxford, United Kingdom
“TIRED, RUN DOWN, AVOID!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Took a Mon-Fri holiday here and really did not like it. Site tired, rundown, and really in need of a bit of time, effort and money throwing at it. Pool = dirty and in need of repair, child's play area unsafe and in need of repair and update...nearly broke my neck on the step down to the Park and the slab used on the step was all broken up. Stayed in a platinum van....complete waste of money...nothing special at all....have stayed in better bronze grade vans else where! Kids club rubbish, evening entertainment ditto. Staff wanted out of there as much as we did! Whole club house area disgusting. Dirty tired RUN DOWN and smelt horrendous of damp and mold. Needs shutting down, revamp and updating desperately!

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank hev24uk2001
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Killigarth Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
It is rare to get a poor review on this holiday park, almost unheard of to get a poor review on our new caravans and extremely co-incidental that two very similar reviews are wiritten by people from the same city - Oxford. I think it is only fair that I respond to both reviews in a similar manner.

Killigarth Manor Holiday Park has been awarded the prestigious Award of Excellence by Tripadvisor and this is the result of all the good feedback from our customers. If you read the other reviews you will see that the majority of people had a totally different holiday experience.

However, I realise that we can all have different opinions on the same subject and respect that fact. I am sorry that this park was not to your taste, but perhaps we will be able to welcome you to one of our other parks in the future.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
oxford
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Well I've stayed at a few of these in the past,but this is the worst one!we stayed Mon to Fri in a 3 bed static caravan,upgraded to there top of the range platinum model.the brochure made it look quite classy,but trust me,its not!I'm not a snob,but I expected better than I got!the only 3 things I could say were better than the standard van were an LCD tv/dvd,a nice fake fireplace,and a fancy sink in one of the two bathrooms!why two?waste of valuable space really.but it was clean and tidy.but the facilities are what let this place down.the kids play park has steps going down to it,and several of the slabs were loose ( my missis very nearly fell down one flight after it tipped up on her).one of the parks slides was badly broken at its bottom edge,with sharp plastic.the pools paint was faded,and just looked in need of a refit.but the club house was the worst!it smelt musty and damp,And the decor was mid 80's at best and just looked and felt warn out.they had a kids "foxy" club in the evening,but it was only about 20 mins long,dispite there being about a dozen kids there.they were all disappointed,as we're the parents.the staff just seemed to want to go home asap,and to be honest,so did I!!so for the rest of our stay,we used it as a base,a place to sleep only,wearing out kid out at other tourist attractions in the county.never again will I stay at this site,but other John Fowler sites are better.avoid!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank bigdaveOxford
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Killigarth Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, October 15, 2013

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at The Manor House Suite from 21 September 2013 to 5 October 2013 and found the house to be warm and spacious. We have 3-children under 5 and given the weather wasn't on our side, we wasn't falling over each other given we had to spend some time in the house.

The beds wasn't the bed – they were hard and uncomfortable and my partner and I both had back aches from it – we quilted out the mattress as best we could. Good size kitchen and bathroom, though the exterior of the building could do with a lick of paint in addition to having the bird pooh cleaned off the windows. With broken catches on some of the windows too it may pose a security issue to some but didn't particularly bother us.

We had an issue regards to a washing machine which we were told was in the house and, on arrival, didn't find one. This matter was resolved to our satisfaction and we was given a choice by John Fowler as to how we wanted to go forward with this.

The park itself is ideally located for either Looe or Polperro – we are not new to John Fowler Holidays (stayed at Trelawne previously which is literally just up the road) and it suit our requirements for access to what we wanted to do.

The swimming pool is basic and, at the time we stayed, didn't appear to have what we would call a vigilant life guard though was always attended. There appears to be red-tape surrounding the principles of basic pool safety etc which you would expect to find but banning ball games and complaining about children enjoying themselves did actually overstep the mark for me a little – I kinda got the impression that my family and I were inconvenient to the required quietness and actually put me off from going again – the pool manager is certainly no spring chicken and it showed, quite frequently. This was escalated to Duncan (General Manager) who, in his own words, did 'buy into' the comments I had but we left before we could see if any change had been made.

We felt the receptionist found everything a tired effort and if you're looking for a 'please' or 'thankyou', 'goodbye' or 'have a safe journey' response, forget it – you're gonna be disappointed. This basic lack of customer care I believe matters so much to many people and it will I believe cost John Fowler money in regards to return custom who will always remember the lack of it.. a pity really..

Well done to entertainments – for the time we spent there we enjoyed ourselves – it wasn't overly busy (I have autism so busy periods and I don't mix) but my children enjoyed the fun..

It's not my first time as I say with John Fowler – I would return as a company though would think twice about booking Killigarth (through John Fowler) – we got the impression there was too many chiefs and not enough Indians regards to what staff should be doing or saying within their pay-rank which actually annoyed us a little – overall though 3/5 - if Customer Services was different – would have been a 4...

Hope this is useful to you

5 Thank Shelagh J
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park. Your review certainly hi-lights the fact that there can be different opinions on the same subject - just a few days before your review, a family had a "SUPERB TIME" in the Manor House and left us a glowing 5 star review.

I am not sure how the mis-understanding over a washing machine came about because we do not mention one in our brochure or on our website.

However, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our entertainment and also to hear that you will return to John Fowler Holidays - perhaps to one of our other parks.
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Spent 2 weeks in the Manor Suite from 14th Sept to 28th Sept with my wife and mum and 9 year old son with autism. The Suite was excellent and well cleaned. All staff were very friendly from the time we arrived to the time we left. Lucy & Georgia the entertainers were very good and we had a good laugh with them..we will be back for 2 weeks next September

3 Thank Midlandsman56
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Killigarth Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback; it’s always a pleasure receiving such positive comments.

We do take great pride in cleaning all grades of accommodation to a very high standard and it’s brilliant that this isn’t going unnoticed. All comments will be passed on to our Housekeeper and the cleaning team.

Once again our entertainments team have been singled out for extra praise and there is no doubt that they deserve it. They are all doing a brilliant job this year and work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a great holiday.

Our returning customers are so important to us and regularly make up 50% of our visitors

Once again let me thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our park very soon.
sheffield
Reviewed October 1, 2013

On arrival staff very happy,pleasant nice reception area,would have liked to be able to park car nearer to the lodge with 3 disabled people found rather awkward but very happy with the Royal Gold Lodge,clean modern light and comfortable *home from home* feeling.everything there.
my complaint about the site: is why no restaurant on site? only take-away---had too drive into Looe for a proper meal.The location of this site is ideal for visiting the area and touring around.
would definately stay there again if retaurant available.
just one more notice brought to the miserable member of staff when checking out was the loud noise coming from the water system everytime you pulled the flush--she didnt seem bothered--just took the key---no smile or "thankyou or Have a safe Journey"got the impression not enjoying her job --looked fed-up.
this is the second John Fowler holiday and much prefer Park Dean.although this lodge was booked thru Hoseasons whom are very efficient.
we did have a nice enjoyable holiday and only one bad day with the weather!!

Room Tip: try and ask for a lodge on the south field...better view
1 Thank turkey30
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Killigarth Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, October 2, 2013

I have been able to trace your booking and it appears that we put you in a lodge that was very close to the car park, so to improve on that would have been difficult. With regard to the restaurant, the park does not have one and neither do we advertise one in our brochure and on the website. I wonder how you got the impression that there was one - perhaps the Hoseasons information is inaccurate.

I am pleased to hear that neither of these two items marred your stay with us and once again let me thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to our park very soon.
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed in August (poppy bronze). Clean, adequate accommodation. On site shop well stocked, Kids enjoyed the entertainment. Good swimming pool. Very friendly and lots of space. Superb base to explore cornwall - Polperro 10 minutes, Port Isaac 50 minutes. If you want an all action, lots to do, spotless, noisy place to stay for your holiday, then I think Killigarth would not be for you, but if you want a nice time - maybe it is. Guess that's why we decided to buy a holiday home there. (special thanks to Ian and Linda)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank markandjenny056
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Killigarth Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how helpful and friendly the staff were.

We are very lucky with the location of our park in such a beautiful part of Cornwall and we are delighted that you wiil be able to share that experience on a regular basis.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Having stayed at the site several times over the past few years, we have been happy with the overall position and condition of killigarth. This year however, they have made several changes, for the worst. There is now no on site restaurant, no sky sports subscription (for the football fan), bins are left too long between emptying. Now have to walk around complex to go to swimming baths and sauna (not much fun in the cold wind). Other than the niggles mentioned, killigarth is perfectly situated for surrounding attractions. Overall we are still happy, and would probably still return. But a re-think for the changes would be for the good.

• Stayed September 2013
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Killigarth Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park. We certainly do not ignore any constructive criticism and perhaps there are some areas that could be improved in the interest of future guests.

Our returning guests are so important to us and are the reason that we have been so successful for the past 60 years.

Your comments have been passed on to all departments and we really hope that you will visit us again in the near future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Polperro
Talland Bay Hotel
The Snooty Fox
The Snooty Fox
#1 of 1 in Morval
Trelawne Manor Holiday Park

Been to Killigarth Manor Holiday Park? Share your experiences!