“Red and gold and brass and a French feel”
Review of Nelsons Restaurant

Nelsons Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 25 Restaurants in Polperro
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Austin, Texas
“Red and gold and brass and a French feel”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Could have been the lovely service from the hostess, who was wonderful. The food was a bit old school (lots of dairy), but good and fresh. Wines and chanpagnes well priced and lots of interesting items of decor.

Visited June 2013

“Excellent food but old and tired”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've been coming here for 15 years and most recently after a 5 year gap. The food is generally very good, their steaks are some of the best I've ever eaten! But the menu hasn't changed in all that time! Neither has the decor which looks old and tired. Very pricey too and in my opinion not value for money, dinner for 2 with starters and a shared pudding with some wine came out at £65!

• Visited July 2013
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Charming restaurant with good food.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I ate here July 2013 and it was an excellent meal in a really nice restaurant.
There decor feints the name of the place with a strong Nelson / maritime theme.
The staff were very friendly and we were seated without delay and being offered the choice of either of the three "tables for two" that we're available.
We given ample time to choose from the menu and ordered our drinks which arrived promptly.
The food was very good, the starter and main were hot and we weren't rushed at all and spent almost three hours in the restaurant for our three course meal.
We both had the spinach & ricotta crepes to start which were very good with plenty of filling and sauce. For the main course my wife had the chicken which she enjoyed a lot and I had the haddock which was excellent. Both cam with potatoes and vegetable of which there were plenty and they we perfectly cooked. We ate from the two course al la carte menu and added desserts on.
Desserts we had were the cheesecake with fruit compote - looked very good, and I had the crime brûlée which was also very good. We really liked Nelsons and thoroughly enjoyed our evening there and would definitely go back. Note that there are two menus and two dining areas - the more formal, but still casual, is upstairs where we ate, the other area is downstairs which we didn't try but we did read the menu displayed outside and it looked good too.
My only point I would mention is the use of terry towels in the men's room - a real no-no in my book, but that's just me and is the only thing I would change.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank James A
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Food, go and experience it for yourself.”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have been here twice for a meal and least to say it never dissapoints. The service is fantastic and the restaurant is clean has a lovely feel. I love the decor. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. I can't wait to go and sample the lovely food again and it is reasonably priced. A right little GEM. I hope this place lasts a life time. PLEASE IGNORE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS, THEY REALLY AREN'T TRUE! Go and see for your self.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank thetongies
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Meal”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Ok food, but very expensive.
Service slow and £6.99 bottle of wine was £19.95
Don't think I would go back, just not value for money

Visited July 2013