“Delicious dinner on our first night in Cornwall”

The Bakehouse Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 181 Restaurants in Penzance
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Set on two floors and in an idyllic palm tree and twinkly light filled courtyard, the Bakehouse has been a part of the local community for the past 15 years. New owners Kim Letchford and Gary Francis took over on the 14th February 2017. Kim started working here over 8 years ago, when she did her work experience for school. She went on to study catering at the local college for 3 years and worked at the Bakehouse for most of that time as a chef, taking time out to work abroad. Gary for the past 6 years has been the sous chef at The very well known gastro pub The Victoria Inn, in Perranuthnoe. They are both very enthusiastic and innovative creating new and exciting dishes for their guests. They look forward to welcoming you to their restaurant to enjoy good food in a friendly modern restaurant.
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious dinner on our first night in Cornwall”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We followed some locals down a small cul-de-sac next to our hotel, walked into the Bakehouse and enjoyed a delicious meal: I had an excellent cod fillet with a light cream sauce over a sweet potato mash, while my husband thought his roasted vegetable and haloumi dish was the best vegetarian meal he has had in a long time. The waitresses were very friendly but very busy and we had a long wait for the meal, but they brought extra bread which was excellent. Overall we would recommend it highly.

• Visited April 2014

Penzance, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

As locals we decided to visit The Bakehouse for a birthday celebration. It was a very wise choice as the food was excellent and the service second to none.
The ribeye steak was tender and cooked to perfection by the owner Andy and the herb butter rub that accompanied it was absolutely delicious. Vegetables and potatoes were all beautifully and freshly cooked.
The waitresses that night were very helpful and knowledgeable about the menu and made us feel very welcome indeed.
It was reasonably priced and I would thoroughly recommend it - do try it you will not be disappointed.

• Visited March 2014
Prestatyn
“Overpriced”
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Shocked and disappointed. However, I would like to say the waitresses were very welcoming and friendly and could not fault them at all. Sadly, I was dismayed by the price of the fillet steak. 8oz at £19.95. I asked what came with the steak and the reply was nothing. All accompaniments were extra. Sauce £2.50, seasonal veg £3.25 and potato/chips £3.50. Total £29.20!!!! If we hadn't already ordered the wine, we would have walked out. My husband had the Cod fillet which did come with sweet potato and he shared my veg. He was however disappointed, saying the fish dish had an overload of flavours and would not have that again. I will say however, my steak was cooked beautifully. But I have had equally cooked beautiful steak elsewhere far cheaper with veg included. I can honestly say, we will not be visiting this restaurant again as we feel it is dreadfully overpriced.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Santessa P
London, United Kingdom
“Topped the holiday off”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Myself and a couple of friends found this place on Trip advisor whilst having a long weekend in Hayle. We can honestly say it was the best meal we have ever had in a restaurant. The service was second to none and the staff very friendly and accomodating. I would never usually write a review on trip advisor but this place deserves this review at the least.

If we are in cornwall again, there is no doubt that we will be visiting The Bakehouse for another fantastic meal.

• Visited April 2014
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Sunny Hideaway”
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have always intended to try the Bakehouse on our numerous visits to Penzance. We're now wishing we hadn't waited so long. On a gorgeous sunny day we had lunch there last week. It's located off Chapel Street in a small but lovely courtyard, which the top floor of the restaurant looks out over. We were too late for a window seat or one of the two small tables on the balcony, but we were happy inside as the space is light and airy. I had a delicious Newlyn crab sandwich and my husband had a falafel wrap which was also very tasty. We had a side of chips which alone I would go back to the Bakehouse for, they were the best chips I've had for ages. The service was very friendly and welcoming completing a great experience which we'll be repeating next time we're in Penzance.