“The worst hotel ever”

Ranked #44 of 81 Penzance B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“The worst hotel ever”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

If you like a morose host, who could not care less about his guests or you prefer a grubby room in a weird anglo/thai design and a soviet style breakfast of cold hard boiled eggs, processed ham and cheese and happy shopper juice then this the place for you.

Room Tip: My best tip is, if you have just checked in get out while there is still time.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Richard B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Overall I would say our stay in the Estoril was good, the continental breakfast was lovely, although it would have been nice to have been offered a cooked breakfast as an option.

The bed was comfortable although we had a winter duvet which was too hot in summer on a very humid weekend.

Its on a fairly busy road and the walls were quite thin- we heard the couple upstairs talking till about 1am when trying to sleep.

The owners were friendly and the room was cleaned to a good standard everyday although I would say the bathroom and toilet & general decor could have been better.

Overall whilst it was good and certainly better than many b&b's I have stayed in, in terms of cost and value for money I was disappointed that it wasn't a higher standard considering that we paid £99 a night and that was discounted from £120 for the luxury room! That is by far the most expensive place we've stayed in, yet we've stayed in much better places for less, like £80 a night. I would say the standard of this place in comparison was more like a £70 a night room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Gorgeous fluffy towels which were actually big and useable!
Room clean but tiny and very dreary.
Bathroom clean but shower very poor.
Bed (small double) very uncomfortable.
Breakfast did not include the usual 'full english' option but consisted of cold ham, cold sliced boiled eggs, cold sliced tomatoes and the option of cereals, warm croissant or toast tea & coffee on a help yourself basis - quite disappointing.
The owners were friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank HazeyM

Travelers are raving about these Penzance hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stayed at Estoril last year shortly after the new owners took over the place. The continued improvements since last year were very plain to see and it's even more lovely! We really love the location and the type of property, all the things to do and see in the area. The hosts were very welcoming and good local knowledge of places to do and advice etc. The breakfast offering has changed since last year and we found the new format to be fine, fresh and well presented as was our room. We had a great time again this year and are certain to return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suemcghie
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I felt that my stay at The Estoril was a wonderful experience to say the least.
Eddie and Nong were both warm and welcoming and two lovely people,the Guesthouse itself was beautiful and had a relaxed feel to the place and very well mantained with stunning decor.
My room was great and very cosy and comfortable.
Breakfast was most enjoyable too.
I would not hesitate in recommending the Estoril to others as its was such a wonderful place to stay with a great location too.
I do hope that I can go back there sometime soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Kate M
Bristol
Reviewed April 14, 2012

What can I say. Nothing in the discription matches the National Service Depot accomodation standards of these premises. Upon arrival I was greeted by the staff busily praying on a prayer mat in the middle of the lounge. I rang the bell several times before attention was forthcoming Pressing onto the bedroom I thought Id found the wardrobe - that was the en-suite shower.

Next morning I proceeded down for breakfast. Bread rolls and fruit and ham were available. 'Extensive breakfast selection' I protested - thats what it says on their website. Next night I spotted in the guide that I should advise the night before if a hot breakfast is required. I did so and was told 'we dont do that any more'

The shower was late victorian circa 1898 and was luke warm.

Guests are strongly advised to stay somewhere else and check accomodation carefully before travelling.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else (anywhere) platform 2 at Penzance station offers better accomodation.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank M880ATC
UK
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We booked through Laterooms and stayed for 1 night. Bearing in mind this was Penzance (which appears to be a relatively expensive place to stay) and the August Bank Holiday Monday evening, we weren't anticipating anything of great value in the area anyway.

The hotel is a pleasant period place, easy to find, well situated, with parking (not many spaces but we managed to find one when returning late at night from the Minack Theatre, which is a superb experience by the way), with a friendly welcome, decent cooked breakfast.

Our room was on the very top floor, up a number of quite steep steps so maybe wouldn't suit all but didn't bother us. It was a 'superior' room although a very dated suite, including small shower, in a small bathroom, was the main drawback for us. Advertising it as 'Sea view' was stretching it a bit we thought although you could see it in the distance over the roofs.

Overall, it was the most we paid for a room in Cornwall over the 4-night weekend, and it was probably the least memorable but it 'did the job' for us and will probably do so for you too.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple