“Not a bad place for a short visit”

Whiteways Guest House
Ranked #81 of 82 Penzance B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The location of this B&B could not be better as it's less than 5 minutes away from the train station. The room I had on the whole was comfortable, and looked like some effort had been made to update it. Breakfast was excellent and I could not eat all of it, my eyes where bigger than my belly. The lady who greeted me was friendly enough. Some areas still need attention and I'm sure this will be done in time. I would stay again as on the whole it was not a bad visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Given the generally terrible reviews, it is only fair I start with some positives from my two-day stay at Whiteways.

1) The location was ideal as I was catching an early train on departure. Literally less than a 30-second walk to the train and coach station, the docks are a further 30 seconds, and the town centre 30 seconds the other way. Can't fault the location at all.

2) The welcome. Had read lots of bad reviews about the staff, but they were very welcoming and helpful to me so I've no complaints at all.

3) The cooked breakfast. Very nice indeed, and considering I was paying £35 or so for the room I thought the breakfast was very decent value.

Right, some inevitable negatives.

I took the single room and, oh my God, it is strange to say the least. Hardly room to swing a cat, the shower cubicle is inches away from the pillow end of the bed. Just a bizarre set-up.

No desk at all, so basically put my back out when I had to work on the laptop for a couple of hours with the computer resting precariously on the edge of the bed.

The shower cubicle is tiny, so battered into the edges every time I flinched a millimetre.

The decor is extremely shabby and dated.

The hot water tap in the sink only had cold water (had to boil the kettle to have a shave).

The cream in the room for the tea was off.

The roof leaked all night (had to position bin underneath the leak which meant a noisy pitter-patter all night)

Just the whole place was shabby, horrendously in need of a revamp and lacking any comfort at all.

I much prefer staying in independent small places than chains, but not when they are as bad as this. I really wanted to love it, but in the end it was an awful experience (bar the location and good breakfasts).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank markismith50
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Smelly. Dirty. Stuffy. Suffocating. Noisy. Don't go there under any circumstances! The proprietors weren't there when we arrived (I would bet my head this is a technique they have developed over the years, so horrified people cannot complain straight away), as soon as we were left alone by a hurried lady in charge only to give us the key, we realized we couldn't even spend one hour there, let alone three nights, so we set off looking for a proper place, which we promptly found on the quay, for just £ 5 more per night. The next day we returned to explain our reasons and the proprietors had the guts to ask what we did not like. When I tried to do so, they got very offended. They are an offence to Penzance and all the other nice people we have met here. This place should be closed down, I don't know how the tourist board have let them keep open so far,
This place is a nightmarish hovel, please don't be lured by the fact that it is so close to the station.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tiziana C
Reviewed August 3, 2012

It is right by the train station and about a 10 minute walk from the harbour - so great for the odd overnight stay. I would not like to stay longer as it was rather claustraphobic (rooms small) and noisy (right on the main road and as it was a hot night we had to have the window open). Rather a shabby appearance, but everything worked. Tea and coffee facilities in the room and good breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Olita95
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The over-riding impression I had of this guest house is that it is badly in need of some attention in terms of both time and money. We stayed for one night at each end of a trip to the Scillies and if arriving by train as we did, the location is excellent - literally metres away from the entrance to the railway station. It is also approx a 15 minute walk to the quay for the Scillonian ferry. We stayed in different rooms on each of the two nights and both occasions the bed was warm and comfortable. However, the general cleanliness and attention to detail leave much to be desired. On our second morning we could not get the shower to work so had to wash in the basin - in my case in luke warm water as the water took so long to heat up. We commented on this and were told that the button on the shower needs to be pushed hard. All that's needed (apart from getting it fixed obviously) is to let guests know - maybe by putting a note in the room....My feeling is that while it might not be the 'doss house' that some have described it as, it definitely requires some TLC. However, I suspect that the owners consider that updating is unnecessary as the location will pull it through.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Had I been writing this review in the 1970s, I would have rated it as good. However, what was good in the 1970s is only fair to average nowadays. This guest house is in desperate need of updating and renovation. The bed was comfortable, but the whole place was dusty with dreary decor and the bathrooms need improving to modern standards. In its favour, the owner was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This B and B is all about location - close to the bus station, the train, and at the end of the main street. The owner was helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was great. However, the accommodation could be better. My single room had a dodgy heater, and sad old fittings, with the shower in the corner of the bedroom, and things just didn't seem very clean.

Room Tip: I am not sure if there are any.