“FABULOUS!!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Penzance
Hampshire
“FABULOUS!!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I spent 3 nights over Xmas (Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and Boxing Day) at Hotel Penzance and enjoyed a wonderful stay. Peter, (Guest Relations) and Tony (Restaurant Manager) could not have been more helpful, or make my stay more relaxing. I booked a single room, and was greeted on arrival with dates, chocolate and fruit, and a teddy bear on my bed wearing a Xmas Hat, a lovely start... I ate on Xmas Eve in the restaurant, the food was delicious, and very filling. Knowing I would not be able to eat a full Xmas dinner the next day, I requested room service, and on return from my windswept walk on the beach, a bowl of hot tasty soup, and a plate of sanwiches was waiting in my room, exactly what I needed. The hotel was beautifully decorated for Xmas, with roaring fires and xmas trees, very atmospheric. What's more, at £85.00 per night, an absolute bargin, especially compared to some of the hotels I've stayed in. Thank you to the hotel team, I had a lovely time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have just returned from two days on business in Penzance. The hotel had wonderful views of the bay/sea and I was fortunate to be able to see Penzance when the weather was being kind in December. The 4 star accommodation was complimented by Peter who takes your bag up to your room and ensures you are settled into your room. Room was well appointed with everything I needed for my short stay - very comfortable bed and pillows. The dining experience in the Bay Restaurant at the Hotel was simply breath taking with views over the bay, wonderful choice from the menu that matched my expectations - Tony and the team in the restaurant showed a consistent high level of service in the evening and at breakfast time.

Breakfast was the best time to take advantage of the views with the shorter daylight hours into the evening from the restaurant in December. Although with the external Christmas lights and the lights around the bay certainly had its impact when dining in the evening.

On my trip I also used couple of their meeting rooms for running group training with a client and these were well appointed, catering was excellent, again you could have breaks looking out over the bay (with seating - ideal for breakouts) and the venue simply added to the experience to those who attended. I can see the rooms would also be ideal for private parties/dining experiences.

I look forward to going back to the Hotel again in 2013.

Room Tip: Seaview is a must and, of course, dining in the Bay Restaurant
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My Husband and I treated ourselves to a one night break this weekend. It was a last minute booking which proved very easy to arrange. I dealt with Olga on reception who was very kind and patient and organised for us a superior room at very favourable rates (even better than those displayed on their website) and they have some good deals on over winter.

We were received by Peter on reception at arrival and he quickly checked us in and escorted us to our room. He showed us the highlights of the room and then promptly left to organise a taxi. We have both previously eaten at the hotel restaurant (The Bay) before - my husband last visited only three weeks ago with friends - and it is very good. However, we had promised ourselves Thai food and there is a very good Thai restaurant in Penzance.

We returned to the Bay restaurant for after dinner coffee and puddings - rich affairs of chocolate tart and prune creme brulee. We enjoyed sitting in the lounge next to the roaring fire accompanied by their resident cat. There were lots of books to read; I enjoyed the quiet of the fire, the peace of the surroundings and the comfort of the sofa- a very enjoyable end to the day and a lovely place to snuggle on a winters evening.

The superior room was very spacious, modern and contemporary in decor, having only been redecorated in the last year. There was a lovely view both across the town and to St Michaels Mount. My favourite part of the room being the comfy armchair and stool in the bay window where you can sit and watch the gigs crossing the bay.

After a good nights sleep we were a little late to breakfast but this was no problem. Our newspaper was waiting for us and we were able to order a la carte from the menu. Breakfast was very nice and we watched the dinghies racing in the bay.

Thank you all for a very enjoyable stay. We would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to our next stay.

Rachel and Bill

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
cornwall
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Just thought i would write an update on my previous review of this hotel.
We do try and stay every time we visit Penzance, and it is really nice to report that they have not dropped their standards, in fact I think some of the rooms have had an re-vamp.
This certainly must be favourite for the best hotel in Penzance, and in fact it can hold it's own with any of the top hotels in Cornwall.
Staff are always friendly and Peter always greats my wife and I as long lost friends and always gives us the impression he is pleased to see us, as we are him.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We traveled to England in October. There are very few places as beautiful as Cornwall, and the Hotel Penzance more than exceeded our expectations. The only complaint I can dream up is that we should have stayed longer! We drove up the hill to the hotel and were immediately enchanted by this lovely place. Rebecca and Peter, who welcomed us, were warm and helpful. We were upgraded to the honeymoon suite as we were celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. Our room was lovely with wonderful views of the sea and the town. It was beautifully decorated and the king bed was so comfortable. The small and elegant touches like hot chocolate and cookies were so welcome. The living room off the main reception is beautiful, and the bar and restaurant were top notch. Every meal was delicious, the martinis well made and the service was impeccable, and very friendly. Luckly for us the weather was superb so we could have coffee outside on the deck. The gardens are beautiful with palm trees and evening a visiting peakcock! A lovely touch was high tea, free to guests. We were late returning one day from touring and missed it, but the staff provided tea for us in the living room. We were very sorry to leave. We highly recommend this hotel.

Katie Moyer and Jack Rugg
Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite was lovely!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

After reading review of this hotel we stayed there for 3 nights. Wow, this hotel is great. We arrived at night after a long journey from London. Check-in was quick and easy. We got a cosy room at roof top, which is spacious and nicely decorated. We looked out of the window and saw an awesome view of a quiet and idyllic small town with the harbour. Wow! At breakfast the room has a spectacular sea view. The breakfast itself was great, e.g. with freshly prepared and delicious fish or homemade marmalade and yogurt. The hotel itself is quite different to other chain hotels and has quite a homey feel, for example the nicely decorated living room or the beautiful architecture. The hotel is located on a hill in a quiet residential area. Walking to the station is about 15 minutes and to the town centre 20mins. The service is excellent, too. We simply fell in love with this place!

• Stayed October 2012
Channel islands
Reviewed November 17, 2012

What a great find! We decided very last minute to visit our son in Penzance and booed this hotel. Wow, we were exceptionally pleased with our choice. Peter on Reception is wam and helpful, so thank you to him (and also for sending on my spare car keys I left in the room).

We ate in the restaurant which was exceptional. We had read in some reviews that,the portions were small, but we can't agree as we were very full. Good service, great menu and delicious food.

We can't fault this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penzance
The Queens Hotel
Carbis Bay Hotel & Estate
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro

Been to Hotel Penzance? Share your experiences!