“Return visit”
Review of Hotel Penzance

Hotel Penzance
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Penzance
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were so impressed last year that when we wanted somewhere to celebrate our anniversary we returned to this hotel. The staff were excellent, welcoming and took trouble to ensure the visit was enjoyable. The room was beautifully furnished and very clean with a view over the coast towards St Michael's Mount. Afternoon tea gave us a good choice of teas and cakes - a real treat.
We were really pleased to see that the excellent standard has continued and expect to return again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Lovely hotel, clean and tidy. All staff were friendly and helpful. The Duty Manager Peter(?) especially was so customer focussed and really went out of his way to be helpful. We had a superior room with dual aspect, commanding lovely views across Mounts Bay and towards St Michaels Mount. The room and bathroom were spotless and bathrobes and facecloths were supplied as well as quality shower gel, shampoo, liquid handsoap and lotion. A lovely tea and coffee tray, that included bottled water and fresh coffee as well as Cornish Fairing biscuits. Breakfast was excellent, all be it that I would like more than half a field mushroom (a minor point really), considering the selection and everything else on offer. The only real problem (at times) was parking. Car park is small for the size of the hotel and considering they open the restaurant to non- residents. That said, some hotels have no parking. All in all an excellent choice and we will be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were made welcome and felt right at home the the start, the staff went out of there way to make sure we had the best stay they could. The food was superb and as we had an evening meal with some relatives the staff made it very special for us. We would recommend this hotel to anyone. Well be back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room over looking the sea and Mounts Bay.
1  Thank wooddust
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend break with my husband to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Welcomed from the outset - staff very friendly and knowledgable. We arrived really early and the manager showed us to an alternative room for a small upgrade, room 17 - it had the most amazing dual aspect views - to St Michael's Mount and the harbour - we took it! We were given complimentary coffee whilst they made up the room and within the hour it was ready for us. Great service.

The rooms are very well equipped - large comfortable bed (not too hard, not too soft), and a lovely big bathroom with bath and shower.

There is a heated pool on site in the grounds - unfortunately it was raining whilst we were there so didn't get to try it. The lay on complimentary tea and cake every day at 3pm for guests, which was a lovely way to meet your fellow guests and sit and read the papers. Their restaurant, The Bay, is one of the best in Penzance, and we'd booked in for dinner. Food was lovely but service lacked a little as they were fairly busy and didn't seem to have enough staff to cope. Breakfast was better, good selection of home cooked food and the usual buffet cereal options.

The building is beautifully presented inside and out. All the public spaces beckon you to take a comfy seat and stay a while. Felt thoroughly relaxed throughout our stay. Wish it could have been longer. Would recommend to anyone wanting to visit Lands End and it's surrounds.

1  Thank thelittle1
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights while touring Cornwall and it proved to be a great find.

The room was excellent and comfortable although it woukd have been nice to have had a bath and not just a shower. Still, that's a small point.

The staff are very helpful and friendly and the restaurant was really good.

I'd happily return for another stay

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Spent a most enjoyable couple of nights here with our two dogs. All staff were very friendly and indeed efficient . Our room was spot on - spacious and clean with a jolly good "wet room". The hotel is charming and lovely . We ate on the splendid terrace on both evenings so our small dogs could be with us and thoroughly enjoyed it - lovely Lobster on night one and Scallops etc the next. Good wine list (not over the top with too many - but well chosen). Food was absolutely excellent - nearing superb. Slept well and had lovely breakfasts - though being a "coffee freak" I am not a fan of "pour & serve " coffee - though no problem had lovely grand cremes from the espresso machine - nothing was too much trouble.

Yes it is not cheap but like everything else in life - you get what you pay for - you wouldn't catch me going to Wetherspoons when there was a great lobbie and a bottle of picpoul to be had!!

Well done keep it up!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Bottle of Picpoul here with your name on it, whenever you and your lovely French bulldogs come by this way again.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I came here on business and it was booked last minute, I was dissapointed with the area and I am glad I had not visited for Leisure.

I had a single room (room 14) - when I booked I understood that it would be a single room & it gave me the impression that it was not a big room and this was the case. It was well appointed. I made the comment on my customer survey form with the Hotel that an Alarm Clock radio would be a good addition.

I did not eat in the restaurant as it was beyond my budget, plus it was Al A Carte and as I was dining on my room this did not appeal to me. So I had to walk into Town on my own which can be a little daunting at night, there is no choice to eat really so I headed for a Wetherspoons, not great when you have been driving for 7 hours.

I was woken at 3 am with the sound of very loud water running through pipes, it lasted over and minute and when the water stopped the pipes banged. Then the same thing happened 20 minutes later. I also experienced the same thing again at 7 am but the noise was more prominent from the bathroom and it may have come from the kitchen area (my bedroom window overlooked a flat roof and to the left of there, there seemed to be a gate and behind that the kitchen) as I heard people stacking plates etc and I could see steam coming out of a vent) the noise of the water in the morning seemed to come from this direction.

I was on business and I don’t normally pay this much for a room but I booked last minute so I had no choice. I feel it is over priced for what you get which is basically one room for a night.

The car park is a challenge as it is on a slope and you park at an angle - to get out, I had to reverse down the car park hill and into the road.

Breakfast was great, cooked to order, the views from the restaurant look over the bay and are amazing.

Just one small thing to add, the lack of signs to the rooms from reception and to the restaurant can be daunting. Upon leaving the restaurant there was no Exit sign and I went through the wrong door into a smaller room and had to be guided out.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank julespmk
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

I'm so sorry you didn't have a good night's sleep. I'll look at what may have disturbed you and see if I can change the kitchen routines so as not to cause disturbance in future.
As we are a very small hotel, converted from 2 Edwardian houses, it seems a bit unnecessary to have way signs everywhere. There are room numbers indicated on all the corridor fire doors with arrows showing clear direction, perhaps you overlooked them? On checking in, our usual procedure involves an escorted introduction to the building and a courtesy check that everything is satisfactory. Reception would have been pleased to either direct you to one of the excellent pubs or restaurants in the town, or you could have eaten from the Brasserie Menu or taken room service , there should never have been a need for you to feel lost. It is unusual for us to host business people at the peak of the holiday season, I'm sorry that you inevitably received the last available room which had modest proportions and may not otherwise have suited you.
Everyone is asked on check in if they would like an alarm call, and there is radio on the TV's. We discarded radio alarm clocks when most people began using their mobile phones for alarm setting (and the previous guest's alarm settings proved irksome to the incoming guests)
If your business brings you down to Penzance again, be sure to call us, I'm sure we can make your stay more restful next time

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penzance
The Queens Hotel
#10 of 21 in St Ives
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro

Been to Hotel Penzance? Share your experiences!