“Absolutely Splendid in All Respects”
Review of Hotel Penzance

Hotel Penzance
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Penzance
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Spent a most enjoyable couple of nights here with our two dogs. All staff were very friendly and indeed efficient . Our room was spot on - spacious and clean with a jolly good "wet room". The hotel is charming and lovely . We ate on the splendid terrace on both evenings so our small dogs could be with us and thoroughly enjoyed it - lovely Lobster on night one and Scallops etc the next. Good wine list (not over the top with too many - but well chosen). Food was absolutely excellent - nearing superb. Slept well and had lovely breakfasts - though being a "coffee freak" I am not a fan of "pour & serve " coffee - though no problem had lovely grand cremes from the espresso machine - nothing was too much trouble.

Yes it is not cheap but like everything else in life - you get what you pay for - you wouldn't catch me going to Wetherspoons when there was a great lobbie and a bottle of picpoul to be had!!

Well done keep it up!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Bottle of Picpoul here with your name on it, whenever you and your lovely French bulldogs come by this way again.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I came here on business and it was booked last minute, I was dissapointed with the area and I am glad I had not visited for Leisure.

I had a single room (room 14) - when I booked I understood that it would be a single room & it gave me the impression that it was not a big room and this was the case. It was well appointed. I made the comment on my customer survey form with the Hotel that an Alarm Clock radio would be a good addition.

I did not eat in the restaurant as it was beyond my budget, plus it was Al A Carte and as I was dining on my room this did not appeal to me. So I had to walk into Town on my own which can be a little daunting at night, there is no choice to eat really so I headed for a Wetherspoons, not great when you have been driving for 7 hours.

I was woken at 3 am with the sound of very loud water running through pipes, it lasted over and minute and when the water stopped the pipes banged. Then the same thing happened 20 minutes later. I also experienced the same thing again at 7 am but the noise was more prominent from the bathroom and it may have come from the kitchen area (my bedroom window overlooked a flat roof and to the left of there, there seemed to be a gate and behind that the kitchen) as I heard people stacking plates etc and I could see steam coming out of a vent) the noise of the water in the morning seemed to come from this direction.

I was on business and I don’t normally pay this much for a room but I booked last minute so I had no choice. I feel it is over priced for what you get which is basically one room for a night.

The car park is a challenge as it is on a slope and you park at an angle - to get out, I had to reverse down the car park hill and into the road.

Breakfast was great, cooked to order, the views from the restaurant look over the bay and are amazing.

Just one small thing to add, the lack of signs to the rooms from reception and to the restaurant can be daunting. Upon leaving the restaurant there was no Exit sign and I went through the wrong door into a smaller room and had to be guided out.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank julespmk
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

I'm so sorry you didn't have a good night's sleep. I'll look at what may have disturbed you and see if I can change the kitchen routines so as not to cause disturbance in future.
As we are a very small hotel, converted from 2 Edwardian houses, it seems a bit unnecessary to have way signs everywhere. There are room numbers indicated on all the corridor fire doors with arrows showing clear direction, perhaps you overlooked them? On checking in, our usual procedure involves an escorted introduction to the building and a courtesy check that everything is satisfactory. Reception would have been pleased to either direct you to one of the excellent pubs or restaurants in the town, or you could have eaten from the Brasserie Menu or taken room service , there should never have been a need for you to feel lost. It is unusual for us to host business people at the peak of the holiday season, I'm sorry that you inevitably received the last available room which had modest proportions and may not otherwise have suited you.
Everyone is asked on check in if they would like an alarm call, and there is radio on the TV's. We discarded radio alarm clocks when most people began using their mobile phones for alarm setting (and the previous guest's alarm settings proved irksome to the incoming guests)
If your business brings you down to Penzance again, be sure to call us, I'm sure we can make your stay more restful next time

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Having stayed at the Hotel Penzance for 2 weeks holiday this summer I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to antone contemplating a visit to Penzance.
The staff were always friendly and helpful, the restaurant is very good, excellent meals and fine views across the harbour, the town and Mounts Bay.
With 2 comfortable lounges and well maintained gardens there was always somewhere to sit when I wanted a quiet hour with a book and a heated outdoor pool when I wanted to swim. A real bonus for me was the close proximity of the hotel to the town centre. This gave me the opportunity to leave my car in the hotel car park and walk the 2 or 3 minutes to the train or bus stations and let someone else do the driving.
I had a comfortable, spacious room and the next time that I visit Penzance I will certainly stay at the Hotel Penzance.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the town will have a magnificent view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Given the limited choice in the area this looked like the best of the bunch. I would say this is somewhere between average and very good on the tripadvisor scale. The pillows were cheap and thin, the bed too soft for my liking and I'm not a fan of a teddy on the bed. They were very welcoming upon arrival and the room itself was ok an spotlessly clean. Decent choice of breakfast items including fresh fruit, cereal etc as well as an a la carte menu. Ordered the haddock with poached eggs one morning and the eggs were a mess and completely overcooked. The service was ok but one of the waitresses seemed particularly grumpy each morning and like it was too much effort, although she was the only one. We've stayed in much nicer hotels for less money and think this is overpriced for its offering and location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DNB571

I wish I could have had these comments on our guest comments letter when I requested them, then I could have identified the room to check the pillows, and taken your complaint about the poached eggs to the head chef for rectification. As it is I've asked the head housekeeper to double check all the room pillows as they all ought to be fine as they were new coiled microfiber hyper allergenic ones, and certainly not cheap. It is possible that one of our older spare one has got accidentally substituted when someone asked for additional ones, but we'll just have to look. The eggs should not ever have been sent out less than perfect, anything not acceptable, please return to the kitchen for an immediate replacement

Reviewed August 27, 2012

The first thing to say is that the staff immediately become your friends...even Jerry the 12 year old cat who appears all over the place... ( except the restaurant). The hotel is clean, well situated, nice views, helpful people... beautiful gardens
The downside is that there are no elevators ( but there is usually a strong male around)
and my personal complaint is that I never use common use shampoo , soaps etc. and was happy I brought my own. I understand why hotels use them ...but they are not for me.
other than that..had a lovely time and would go again in a hot minute :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2012

beautiful restuarant excellant service with staff that that were willing to go above and beyond service to accomodate. stunning setting with simplistic amazing food. we did not stay at the hotel only dined at the bay restuarant but am keen to stay at this gem.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We arrived to a wonderful welcome by Peter and the recptionist along with the lovely Jerry (Birman cat) having driven a fair distance to get there after flying in from Australia it was like arriving at an old friends place. Peter showed us around the hotel and helped take our very heavy bags up to our room as there is no lift. The rooms were a good size with lovely views of the bay and St Michaels Mount. The rooms were decorated nicely and the bed was super comfy.

The restaurant food was a great standard, however we made the mistake of listening to another reviewer who said the Dolphin Tavern was just as good only cheaper so we tried that on our second night - big mistake! There was simply no comparison so we ended up back at the Bay the next night.

The only disappointment was the weather but the hotel couldn't do anything about that. Like some of the other reviewers we agree that the car park was a challenge especially with a big car, and people that can't park properly!

All in all a great hotel and if we were to go back to Penzance we would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penzance
The Queens Hotel
#10 of 21 in St Ives
St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Carbis Bay Hotel & Estate
Mount Haven Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Hotel Penzance? Share your experiences!