“First class accomodation, lacking soul” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Praa Sands Holiday Park

and 1 more site!
Praa Sands Holiday Park
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“First class accomodation, lacking soul”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Returned to Praa-Sands for the second time, different caravan same immaculate standards of cleanliness in grounds immaculately maintained.

The kids playground has been extended which is nice and the location is outstanding.

The clubhouse however still felt like it was there for the benefit of someone else - kids not allowed in the spa bath, now banned from an area near the bar. I accept that the site does not market itself to families but, for all its grandeur, its still a caravan park and it needs to accept that there are going to be kids there. The lack of patronage of the lounge area on our two visits may bear testament to the issue.

Again, as before, we were made to feel like interlopers by a group of lady golfers who, presumably members and presumably regulars, seemed offended by our presence at lunch. I accept that it must be challenging to balance the needs of separate interests in this environment but I personally didn't feel welcome.

Will I return to Praa Sands? - most definitely its a fantastic place. Will I be enjoying a drink or meal at the bar? probably not.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
flingell, Customer Services at Praa Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review of Praa Sands and we are glad you enjoyed your lodge and its surroundings. We value all feedback as without it we cannot improve our service to you.

With reference to your visit to our bar I am very sorry that your visit fell short of your expectations and please be assured that we are continually striving to improve all aspects of the complex whilst trying to balance the needs and wants of our holiday guests, residents, local guests and golf clubs.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you once again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

On Easter Sunday I visited Praa Sands for their Easter Eggstravaganza to look around the site with the intention to find out more about the site, as I am looking to purchase a caravan/lodge for my family to use for their leisure time/holidays. The advert we had seen promised an Easter Egg Hunt around available caravans and lodges, as well as music, and surf board simulator. On arrival we were given literature and the children were given the Easter Egg Hunt paperwork with the promise of a easter egg on completion. The Easter Egg Hunt took you around available units, the children as told searched the units for and collected chicks and eggs and noted two things they liked about each one, this allowed time for adults to look around undisturbed. We returned to the reception with our list of sales questions and the children clutching their Easter Egg Hunt paperwork, chickens and eggs only to find a deserted table with literature blowing in the wind. On further investigation we were told that the sales staff had all gone to have there lunch (together) and the final disapointment was for the children when they were told they had run out of easter eggs, which might seem very trivial to us but means a lot to children who had worked hard on writing about each unit. I found the whole experiance a complete shambles and half hearted, the staff were unhelpful, and there was a distinct lack of organisation and effort due to this experience and despite the fantastic grounds, sea views and caravans and lodges available I will not be purchasing anything at this site!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Maisy987
Cass W, Customer Relations Manager at Praa Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Praa Sands. We really appreciate your comments and are genuinely sorry that you were unhappy with your visit to the site over the Easter weekend.
Your review has been discussed with the park staff and the General Manager all of whom ask their apologies for any disappointment is passed on. They are however quite concerned and confused with some of the comments. We are unable to ascertain who you spoke with who told you the sales team had all gone to lunch together and that there were no easter eggs left. We only have two sales staff at Praa Sands and I have been assured that they only left the desk to deal with customer queries. They also had 11 easter eggs still left 2 days after the event.
I have sent you a private message with my direct contact details and would appreciate if you could contact me and provide me with more details on who you spoke to so I can investigate further and we can try and restore your faith in us.
Thank you again for your comments.
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been staying at this holiday park since I was little... and it is still the best holiday park I have ever been to. The beach is a 2 minute walk from the park... and it is such a lovely beach!

The restaurant on site is very relaxed and serves excellent food.

I would recommend this caravan site to anyone that loves beautiful beaches, lovely caravans & an overall excellent time on holiday!

I will be returning for sure this year

Room Tip: Go for a platinum caravan.. worth the money !!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fsmithy02
Cass W, Customer Relations Manager at Praa Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Praa Sands. We are really pleased that you have enjoyed your stays with us so far and hope that you will continue to do so in the future.
Slough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband, 2 year old son and I stayed for four nights at the Praa Sands Holiday park during the first week in September. I myself have never stayed in a caravan on holiday before so was slightly apprehensive about doing so. But I needn't have worried as the whole experience was rather lovely. Like having your own apartment but more condensed! So I will definitely be booking another caravan holiday for next time. Praa Sands Holiday Park was also very nice. Clean, quiet and generally speaking the caravan was in very good order. Not as clean as I would keep it, perhaps? There was a couple of cobwebs in the corners and some stains on the carpet as I'm sure there would be from the amount of 'foot flow' these caravans endure. One thing I will mention is the mattress in our room, it has to be the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on, the springs were sticking out everywhere so lucky we were only there for four nights and not seven. But on the whole a very lovely holiday, we were also very lucky with the weather. Praa Sands itself has a gorgeous beach and ideally suited for families as it is very large and sandy with rock pools, so great for investigating with inquisitive young minds! Like the previous reviewer mentioned, it's best to drive down if you have plenty of gubbins with you otherwise it's a steep set of steps to contend with, but luckily there are three car parks to chose from and with parking at £3 per day you can't complain.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Vicki_Bacon
Cass W, Customer Relations Manager at Praa Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Praa Sands. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay but sorry that the bed was uncomfortable and the cleanliness was not to the standard you expected. This points will be discussed with the housekeepers and extra checks done to ensure the caravans and lodges are up to standard.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your custom again in the near future.
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at praa sands for the past 7 years and we have certainly seen some changes. Some for the better and some not so much better.

First of all we were always excited to go on our holidays to cornwall. Once a year a break from normality. In the most recent year we nightly went to the club on site to enjoy a drink. (As we were away on holiday) to be thrown out at 10.00pm and be back at the caravan for 10.05pm. I certainly dont go on holiday for an early night. I have to say there was the chosen few members who stayed open a little longer i think maybe they thought oh theyve paid all this money so let them have an holiday. (All in all there was 10of us altogether)

Its situated in a great spot the lodges are exceptional although now are the prices.

Unfortunately after spending all those years there and we have many a fond memory we just wouldnt go back.
The pools were lovely and the food was good but taking everything into consideration i would rather pay that little bit extra to guarantee the weather and be able to enjoy our once a year holiday by not being tucked up in bed at 10.30pm so we are now going to go abroad.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Janine L
Cass W, Customer Relations Manager at Praa Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your recent trip to Praa Sands. We really appreciate all comments as without this we cannot improve our service.
Our bar and restaurant premises are licenced until 11pm, however due to previous feedback, we advertise our hours during the week as closing at 10pm. Having checked with the Bar Supervisor, he has assured me that if there are people drinking in the bar gone 10pm then they would not be asked to leave until the official closing time, therefore he is confused that you state you have been asked to. We sincerely apologise if this has happened.
We consider the our holidays are good value for money and the park is well kept and offers quality accommodation. Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the weather and we are sorry that for these reasons you wont be returning.
Thank you again for your feedback.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

If a peaceful holiday is what you want this is the place. Had a wonderful 5 days and first holiday as a family. We have a 12 week old baby and this was just perfect. The site was quiet although quite aware there were many people staying. The caravan was immaculate and provided everything we needed.

Ate twice in the bar and the food was beautiful. The atmosphere in the bar however was a little flat. Although it was the first week in Sept. there were never more than 6 people in!! But hey didn't have to wait long for food or drinks.

Lovely beaches very close by we chose to go in the car as there are no paths and we have a prem but you could easily walk.

We would most certainly book to stay again!! Had a fantastic holiday and have made many memories we will treasure forever.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Itsme2807
Cass W, Customer Relations Manager at Praa Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Praa Sands. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your comments. We hope to have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have stayed at other Haulfryn sites in the past and so went with high expectations. The "caravan" met everything and then some. Immaculately clean, and with the feeling of being brand new. These things are privately owned so precise specification will vary in terms of kit (have had a dishwasher in the past, this time we got a freezer).

The grounds too were immaculately presented and very clean and the staff friendly and helpful.

We, as a family, enjoy bodyboarding and the site is a short stroll to one of the best beaches in the country for that purpose.

The cautionary note relates to your expectation of the holiday itself in terms of families, there was plenty of open space for the kids to run around in but not much else, a pirate ship climbing frame outside of the bar and a token pool next to the swimming pool (closed for pretty well the whole week) were the only facilities offered other than a broken Nintendo Wii in a corner of the bar. Didn't detract from our holiday BUT compare the site with Finlake and it falls a long way short. The local golf clubs use the bar as their clubhouse, a couple of times we went to the bar during club meetings - plenty of room for everyone but I did feel that we were in some way an intruder.

Otherwise, fantastic.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jimbo37_11
, Customer Relations Manager at Praa Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Praa Sands. We really appreciate all comments as without this we cannot improve our service in the future.
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your comments regarding the park and its facilities. We advertise ourselves through Hoseasons as a Relax & Explore park and in both our brochure and Hoseasons we do not mention any children's facilities. Our call centre agents are fully trained on the facilities available and the type of clientele that Praa Sands suits and should a customer state that they are looking for a park with plenty of facilities we would advise that Praa Sands may not be suitable for them. I have forwarded your comments concerning the wii and the childrens' pool to the Park Manager to investigate.
Thank you again for your comments and I hope we will have the pleasure of your custom on one of our parks again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penzance
Hotel Penzance
Beachfield Hotel
#2 of 4 in Penzance
Mount Haven Hotel & Restaurant
Wheal Rodney Holiday Park

Been to Praa Sands Holiday Park? Share your experiences!