“Usual great meal”
Review of Renaissance - CLOSED

Renaissance
Cuisines: International, British
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a family run establishment, offering a warm welcome, exceptional food and fantastic service.Our menus offer a variety of dishes starting with breakfast through to light snacks, pizza, burgers and steaks, theirs something for every one.We have a childs menu offering dishes such as sausage and mash to fish and chips.
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Usual great meal”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Sixth visit to the Renaissance in past seven years and we have never been disappointed. Great views and friendly service. The chicken breast on pesto linguine was delicious, so were the chocolate torte and chocolate brownie. Also great to have chips cooked in beef dripping not vegetable oil. Will be back.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

on the Sunday we only wanted a snack as we were eating out in the evening. We noticed they did salads so opted for one. I am so glad that we did, they were excellent. I had the belly pork with sticky balsamic vinegar and sesame seed sauce and my husband had ham hock with mozzarella cheese. he did say that there was more meat on this salad than on a normal sunday lunch at somer places. There were not too much salad leaves either. We had a glass of wine each. wine prices were very good. The owners have only been there since last October but I think they are doing an excellent job. We were able to sit at the window over looking the carpark towards St Michael's Mount. There is also seating outside.

1 Thank Kim A
Luton, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lunch”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Shared a lovely lunch here with my husband today. We had seats by the window overlooking Mount's Bay and the Beautiful St. Michael's Mount. My husband had a BLT to remember and I had the Dahl soup which was very tasty. We had a leisurely lunch and enjoyed the ambience and views. Clean restaurant, and attentive staff. Thank you.

Penzance, United Kingdom
“Good food, excellent view”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

while we are local to Penzance Renaissance is worth visiting for its excellent view over Mounts Bay and its very good food. Visiting in August we both has salads and warm granary bread, the portions were good, the service excellent and the price, while a little high, was well worth it.

1 Thank Gymmonster
“Amazing food and slightly over zealous staff!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We eat reasonably regularly at Renaissance as it is fairly local to us and the food is always good. Today, the food exceeded our expectations and was just perfect in every way! Even my six year old daughter commented on the 'yumminess' of her child's meal and both my children ate everything!
The service from the staff was polite and friendly, although seemed a little disorganised. We hadn't even sat down properly by the time the first waitress had come over and asked about drinks. We asked for a couple of minutes, and my husband took our daughter for a toilet trip, when another girl came over and asked again if we were ready to order. Again, I asked for a couple of minutes and she left with a smile. My husband got back and almost immediately, the first girl was back again, so feeling a little rude by this point we just ordered something and asked for more time on the food. Within a minute, a waiter came over and asked if we were ready to order, so again we had to ask for more time.
On ordering food and it arriving, we had a call back to the table before I'd even managed a mouthful of my food (sorting the children out with theirs first) and another call back followed from another member of staff after I had taken one bite.
My youngest is a slow eater, so my eldest wanted the loo by this point. Again, while two of the party were absent, staff came and cleared the table, leaving my youngest eating as the only one with a plate in front of her. She was a little self-conscious to say the least - "mummy, I'm eating as quickly as I can".
Although the service was far more attentive than previously received, I did feel that we were being rushed through our meal, despite it being reasonably quiet in the restaurant as we had arrived after the lunch rush.
I think the restaurant has done a good job in making the staff more customer focused, rather than having a natter with their friends as we have seen previously, but at the same time, more training is probably needed on timings and number of staff assisting a table at any one time, or at least talking to each other before they do. (And definitely not clearing a table until everyone has finished, unless asked to do so!)
All in all, a lovely meal. Friendly staff who need to give families a little extra time to get things sorted! I'd definitely go back and loved how smart the restaurant and staff looked now.