“Excellent experience for spur of the moment decision”
Review of Alverne restaurant

Alverne restaurant
Ranked #11 of 203 Restaurants in Penzance
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Alverne Restaurant is a family run business in the heart of Penzance offering the best in modern European cuisine and locally sourced produce.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was travelling on my own and had made no dinner reservation. I was unable to get a table at another Penzance restaurant so headed to this one - but found a large group of people entering together, so nearly walked away. But to save more trudging around, I followed the group in and asked if there was a table - to be surprised at the welcoming affirmative response. I was quickly seated, my order taken quite promptly - although with no feeling of being rushed - and my two courses plus wine were delivered cleverly in advance of or around the, by now, two large parties on nearby tables. The 'daily special' hake was delicious - one of my favourite restaurant meals in recent years. I was impressed at the service as well as the food. So often being on one's own can lead to being a bit ignored especially if the restaurant is busy, but that was absolutely not the case here. I felt very lucky to have chanced by this one without really even glancing at the menu beforehand.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (261)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After driving down from Surrey and having our car driven into when parked outside our Guest House and discovering rain and headwinds were forecast for the following days Lands End 100 Cycle Event we really needed a no hassle good meal! This Restaurant was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! We rang to book and were warned they had a big party coming in unlike a recent dinner in Cobham when we sat at our table for an hour before our order was taken and it was 2 hours before my wife's meal arrived! So we were happy to arrive at 7.00pm and we felt we were treated like royalty but this is how Sandra and her team treat all their customers! Mouthwatering and varied menu; decisions made and choices still "on" and we were off! The service is so good - friendly, observant, unobtrusive and interesting people too and Chef was on form ( a touch of French Flair I suspect) with the presentation of our main dishes which deserved a place of honour in one of the local Art Galleries and so delicious too. The large party (30 or so) were happy diners, well organised and added to the occasion! The Olives (a real surprise!) starter and Pinot Grigio were spot on and the special Megrim Sole was well heaven! We kept a little room for Creme Brulee, which my wife wife normally shares but not this time, and a lovely rarity a Spanish Cheese Selection (thank you Laura, from Madrid, for your comments!) and, of course, the almost obligatory glass of Rioja recommended! We saw many dishes on their way through and all looked "eat me!" and other guests near our table commentated so happily on their dinner too. So when will we go back? We wanted to go back the following night ... the whole evening had been such a wonderful and memorable occasion that we wanted to keep it thus but next year YES INDEED! Thank you Sandra, Tom, Laura, Chef, et al and guests celebrating the 30th Birthday whose enjoyment added to ours.

1  Thank Francis P
Reviewed September 2, 2019 via mobile

The Alverne is always friendly and well run, it's beautifully clean and an excellent place to meet pals ☕ ☕

Reviewed August 17, 2019 via mobile

We had a wonderful meal here. We were very impressed with the food, ambience and the lovely staff. The menu is creative. The Vegan menu impressive. The attention of the staff held the right balance of care without being overbearing. We will definitely be back.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 17, 2019

We came here the evening we arrived in penzance after a long train journey from nottingham. We each had a risotto (salmon or crab) for starter and then the duck for our main. It was the best risotto I have ever had. The duck was also fantastic and both were presented very nicely. The staff were all very polite and helpful and the decor in the restaurant made for a fabulous overall experience. I would highly recommend

Date of visit: August 2019