“What a shame”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We used to eat here often but having been turned away on a Bank holiday weekend in August because they were closing ~ 2pm ~ we won't bother again. How can they justify that in a busy tourist area especially as it was actually 8 minutes before 2pm. I wonder if the boss knew they turned custom away in this day and age.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've come here a few times, I haven't enjoyed it quite so much in recent times, and I have noticed that if the restaurant is full they struggle serving you in an anyway decent time. However the food is good, they do a lot of locally sourced food (but that's not unusual in Pz), and it's very pleasant. It can get noisy when full.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

This morning I went to Penzance for the first time for some time. My Son and I wanted refreshment so we were walking up the street and saw this place advertised. The ambience was good when we went in. There was soft music playing and conversation was at a very acceptable level. We ordered tea and toast. This was delivered quite quickly and was very well presented. With the tea we had a small brioche and the toast was small crusty bread slices with jam. This was different and we really enjoyed it. The staff were friendly but not overpowering. It was a great find and we shall use it again. Try it. NB There is an early dining option between 5 and 6.30 pm which seemed good value. (£15.50 pp for three courses)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

consistently great food served with a smile. lovely atmosphere whether it's coffee, lunch or dinner. Favourite is prawns - battered or garlic - amazing. always worth a visit & just on the edge of town so a great place to recover from shopping

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Alverne has a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. The service and staff friendly and prompt. The food was very tasty, fresh and well proportioned although the set menu could have more choices. Worth a visit.

1  Thank 129caroline