“Very Comfortable B&B”

Ranked #35 of 87 Penzance B&B and Inns
Saratoga, Ca
“Very Comfortable B&B”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The building is very pretty and extremely well maintained. It is in a great location, easy to walk along the sea front, go into town, or even venture farther along the coast. It is set back from the road, so there is no road noise and there is plenty of parking (a great thing in a coastal city!)

We had a family room with tall windows that looked out over the sea. Although there is no road noise, the seagulls are incredibly noisy, especially at 5am, so I would not recommend sleeping with the windows open. The room had a extremely comfortable queen bed and two twin beds for my two teenagers, it was a perfect set up and we had room to move around. There was also a little lounge room just down the hall if you wanted to sit and read.

Special note: this was the cleanest bathroom I have ever seen! I am a stickler on cleanliness and this was perfect in every way. However, the shower water pressure was minimal, which is often the case when older buildings are retrofitted, but disapppointing as you rinse off one arm, then the other, etc.

Rita cooked the best breakfasts of our entire time in the UK! A great selection of cooked and cold breakfasts, served in a pretty room. I would definitely stay here again. Also note: lots of stairs, so not good for people with limited mobility.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank stclarapet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Nothing negative to say about our stay here. Tom and Rita were perfect hosts. Our room was beautiful and very clean. Wonderfull choice at breakfast time and I would recommend the Lombard highly.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Irene085
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Rita and Tom provided me with a friendly comfortable experience, exceptional value in every way, from the cozy perfectly appointed room, the excellent and satisfying breakfast through to a fund of local knowledge freely provided. (this last is of particular relevance as the Tourist Information Centres in Penzance and St Ives have been closed as a result of Government cuts). With respect to location, Regent Terrace is part of a very attractive enclave close by the sea and the rest of Penzance.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank whymeSydney
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 26, 2011

As the title says, this is a perfectly executed B&B. Location, food, service, cleanliness are all top notch. Tom and Rita are the owners of the establishment and are both helpful and interesting to talk to; they also prepare a delicious breakfast.

Overall, I would say that Lombard is much more luxurious than the average B&B that you'll find in the country. If you can get a reservation here while in Penzance, I would highly suggest taking it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jacktsu
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Unfortunately Penzance is a long way from London and so I will not be able to return that easily. Arriving in a new location is always a bit of a lottery so the relief was great when we stepped into our room (number 3) in Lombard House. Parking was easy, they have a lot of space. Easy to find as it is just a few yards from the main road along the harbour. Not far from the fantastic sea pool (wish the weather will be warm for the summer!). Rooms at the front have a very nice sea view. Our room had a very nice bathroom with all the bits that ladies like to have. Beds very comfortable and cozy bed linen. Breakfast served by Tom and cooked by Rita was AAA, and a very nice room it is, with doors opening to the front garden. Dinner found us twice at the Admiral Benbow, a huge burger is worth a try, but their food and friendly staff is very nice.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank helg58
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I cannot say anything negative about this hotel. The proprietors who run this bed and breakfast do an excellent job and and provide a warm welcome . They do not skimp . I generally stay in large North American chain hotels and this being a bed and breakfast facility I did not know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. Everything exceeded my expectations. it was extremely clean and it was obvious the proprietors pay attention to detail. The house is charming and there were fresh flowers in various parts. I chose this hotel because of the proximity to the ferry for the Isles of Scilly. It is about a 3 minute walk. The hotel is also relatively close to the train station and the bus terminal. ( about 8-10 min walk along the waterfront.. Since we did not have a car this was a real plus.
There are a couple of pubs close by and the food was very good.There is also a promenade which is great for an evening stroll ( However, the weather did not cooperate when I was there).
Should I return I shall certainly stay again at the Lombard. I found it good value for the quality of the accommodation. The breakfast was far more than what I needed./expected. Great variety ,good quality and as I mentioned the owners do not skimp.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank bobbi96
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I stayed at this bed and breakfast last summer with my boyfriend for a four-day tour of Cornwall. The room was fantastic with great views of the bay. Due to a last-minute change, we were placed in a larger room than we had originally booked, which we didn't mind at all. The couple who runs the B&B are very helpful and generally friendly, though perhaps there was a bit of a culture gap between them and two American 20-somethings. The complimentary Internet is a boon, and though their WiFi was iffy during our stay, they let us borrow an ethernet cord (as we hadn't thought to pack one) to use the wired connection. The breakfast is quite good, and the B&B is located within an easy 5-10 minute walk along the bay-shore to the train and bus stations, which made a convenient and picturesque walk every morning and evening. It is also quite close to the commercial district of Penzance, maybe 5 minutes away at the most. They also let us store our luggage after checkout on the day of departure, which was convenient as our train didn't leave until the afternoon. Overall, it was a pleasant and nearly ideal place to stay. If I ever go back to Cornwall, which I hope I will, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple