Ways to Experience Minack Theatre
More Info
from $1,248.50
More Info
4,623 results
All reviews rowena cade evening performance porthcurno beach the cliff lower terrace warm clothing unique experience stunning location bucket list overlooking the sea awe inspiring car park magical place sunny day visiting cornwall views are amazing steep steps
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This amazing place is something of a folly. What looks like a Roman amphitheatre was actually down to the vision of one woman in the 1930's. We saw an excellent performance of the Marriage of Figaro and the setting of the unique staging, and the backdrop over the sea and cliffs was stunning.

The only downside for me was the seating. I had been warned to take a cushion as most of the seats are stone so was prepared for that but you can hire cusions anyway. What I was not prepared for was having a tiny amount of leg room. There seem to be a variety of seats and some look a lot better than others but I barely had room for my feet in front of me and as I have a problem with painful knees anyway, by the end of a 3 hour production my discomfort was proving a serious distraction to my enjoyment. The "Friends" seating looks better so if I was going to go again I would try to find a "Friend" to buy tickets through or I would queue early enough to get first choice on seating. We arrived at 6.30pm for a production that started at 8.00pm but some people had been queueing since 4!! We had booked our tickets beforehand online but you can only choose from upper or lower terrace seating, not choose your specific seat.

I would certainly not choose a 3 hour production again which was just too much even with an interval in the middle.

1  Thank EnglandMum50
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I booked for The Marriage of Figaro last week. A great performance,the most amazing place to see a great opera. A lovey warm evening. Sold out and no wonder. If you get a chance to go you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

we went to the Minack on a beautiful sunny day and walked up the cliff path from the beach . had a very interesting time looking round the theatre. but the views from the theatre are breathtaking , looking down on the turquoise sea around Porthcurno beach makes you realise that Cornwall's beaches and coastline are up there with the best in the world ,don't forget your camera , you won't be disappointed

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Even though we visited for the sake of seeing the place, I would certainly be going back to see a performance, and would consider going again, just to sit and view the ocean.

You can easily feel that you are in an ancient greek theatre, and the sea view makes a truely inspiring backdrop. I Would recommend visiting and seeing a play at the same time, I can currently only imagine that the theatrics are phenomenal.

A cardiac exercise, amazing vista and calming presence all in one place! Very very reasonable prices also! Even the gift shop was reasonable ... who knew they existed :)

Definately worth a visit.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We went to the Minack on a beautiful still evening. The sea looked lovely and the setting was good. I highly recommend hiring a Minack chair at £1 to save your back and you might still need one even if you bring your own cushion as the grass seats get a little stiff on the bum.
Some people also brought blankets though the weather was great and we were lucky enough not to need them, but I imagine that with a little breeze you definitely would.
Queues for the cafe were a little long and there wasn't much variety on offer other than pasties. If you bring a picnic take a small bag.
Well organised staffing and car park.
Highly recommend buying your tickets in advance as nearly all the performances were sold out in advance whenever we passed by on our trip

You can also have a look round without seeing a show as long as there are no shows scheduled. Beware of the cliff walk down to Porthcurno beach - only for the sure footed