“A magical theatre in the most amazing setting”
Review of Minack Theatre

and up
Best of England and Wales 9 day (Small Group) tour from London
Ranked #1 of 68 things to do in Penzance
More attraction details
Owner description: This open-air theatre is dramatically situated on the cliffs at Porthcumo, near Land's End, and hosts a season of plays and musicals from May to September.
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Firstly, I have to say that I have not had the privilege of attending a production at the Minack; however, on a previous visit, I was fortunate to see the cast rehearsing for "HMS Pinafore" and it was a memorable occasion, particularly on such a clear, blue sky day with the waves crashing onto the rocks far below.

My most recent visit this summer was every bit as good although there were no rehearsals going on. For me, the Minack is as much about it's location, how it was hewn out of the rocks by Rowena Cade to fulfil her vision, and the staggering views down across Porthcurno beach. Regardless of the fact that this is a working theatre, it must have some of the best panoramic views anywhere in Cornwall.

The flower beds and gardens that surround the theatre are full with sub-tropical plants as well as more traditional Cornish flora. The steps between the levels are steep but the hand rails are more than adequate. The entire place always makes me think of a three-dimensional maze, and that is a positive criticism! I can almost imagine that the Minack wouldn't look out of place should it suddenly find itself moved to Portmeirion in Wales, for it seems so very similar in many respects, it is quirky, unique and a delight to see and wander around.

Whatever you do, don't miss the chance to see the wondrous view to the side of the theatre across Porthcurno beach, which has water as clear as anywhere in Greece and bright, yellow sand to match. The only reason for giving the Minack a 4 star rating is because it is obviously a theatre, and as yet, I haven't seen a production. But as and when I do, my next review will almost certainly be a 5 star one.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,069)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

It was a glorious sunny and warm September afternoon when we saw Mac Beth at the minnack, absolutely stunning backdrop to the amphitheatre. The play was a little tedious as we are not really into Shakespeare but it was such a gorgeous afternoon and with such a fantastic location it didn't really matter and we had a super time there. It is a must do if you are in West Cornwall but do get there early to get the best seats and would recommend taking a bit of a picnic with you as refreshments bought at the venue are expensive

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have visited many times over the years and always enjoy our visit. For just £4 each it is good value too. The views are amazing, and in my opinion you cant get better sea views anywhere.

We took our daughter in a Macpac (rucksack type child seat carrier) and she loved it. We felt she was quite safe despite The Minack being on quite steep levels. Each level is very flat and easy to walk around.

The stage was open to walk on (its sometimes closed if performances are showing that night).

You cant spend very long there really, unless you take a packed lunch. We spent about 30 mins there which is enough really as its not that big. We didnt go into the cafe as it seemed a bit expensive, but then again you do get the best restuarant view ever so most people probably agree its worth paying for that alone.

Well worth a visit. You could be in the south of France or Italy on a hot day!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We went to one of the family shows in the day. Buy your tickets in advance as they tend to sell out. Brilliant show - very funny for kids and adults alike.
Stunning setting. Always wanted to visit & so glad I got to.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Interesting and with wonderful views over Porthcurno and the bay. Nice gardens to walk in and good tea room too.