“Overrated & Disappointing”
Review of The Abbey

The Abbey
Ranked #44 of 82 Penzance B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We also had been impressed with reviews and awards given to the Abbey, so booked this hotel as a special treat. We stayed in the 'The Suite" at £250 per night. This is separate to the main hotel. Rates included full english, afternoon tea & news papers. That was sounded perfect, I didn't expect to have to ask for anything! There were so many silly little things that singularly would not usually have been an issue, however together with the attitude of the manger became a huge let down & disappointment. So, here we go....The scones on arrival were warm but guessing heated thro with microwave as hard & 'crunchy'. The manager suggested I was lying as they were made fresh everyday! Not offered on second day, when queried the manager said it's on arrival only even tho my confirmation clearly says "rates include full english & afternoon tea", (it does not say only on arrival only). The rooms were a disappointment and had not been made up as requested, advertised or paid for. Advertised on their web site as... "Two double bedrooms (which can be arranged as one double and one twin upon request). We expected two double rooms as had not requested a twin, however upon arrival we had a double and a twin. The manager is somehow trying to suggest its our fault for not clarify this in writing even tho I know it's what I requested when I spoke to him on the phone. However, we though we didn't have to clarify in writing as the doubles were the default setting on the web site not the twin. One bed very poor, feet higher then your head, mattress worn out! Again the manager has suggested we didn't have a bad nights sleep and must be lying as mattress expensive. Staff dismissive and slightly rude, breakfast poor, warm milk for cereal as jug left on side, toast burnt & cold, eggs over cooked etc...I queried my point of view with the manager, he is trying to suggest I was not telling the truth again! Seeing the review beneath this one, they also had the same experience! Maybe we are both telling untruths! To top it all car parking challenging, very little parking (only really four spaces) and off a very narrow road, you either get blocked in or you block someone else in which leads to interruptions to move when necessary. When I pointed out my disappointment to the manager he said they are happy to move the cars if you leave your car keys at the reception. This was not offered to us, we just had a 'BANG BANG' at our door (maybe by the manager) asking us to move, no offer of help. I think they say one thing but do things to suit themselves and not their paying customers. I think this hotel has let its good reviews go to its head and feel they no longer need to try, they can't see any reason why anyone would not be happy but are not prepared to listen if you're not anyway.. No attention to detail, no passion and overrated.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank A H
Abbey_Hotel_Penzance, Manager at The Abbey, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

We spoke via email where I went through the faults you mentioned in full. I think it is unfair to say that I 'suggested you were lying or not telling the truth' as I never implied that simply that I didn't always agree with your some of your points of view.

My overall point was that many of the issues raised could've been fixed at the time but you never mentioned them. Instead they were listed in an email afterwards.

I'm more than happy to replace burnt toast, give additional toiletries, make afternoon tea on request. We try our best to make sure everyone has a nice time and so I'm sorry you had such an awful time. I'll address the items mentioned and will make sure they don't happen again.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We'd been impressed by the reviews but were very disappointed. This is really more a b and b with pretensions. What the hotel information doesn't say is that the stairs to some of the rooms are very steep and narrow so difficult for elderly visitors and our room at least was nothing special. The staff were very offhand (breakfast one day took 45 minutes to arrive). On the plus side, the location is good, in the middle of Penzance, but parking and access aren't easy.

Room Tip: Check whether you need to go up into the attic section.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Waringro

I can see that you experienced a bad time with us and I'm very sorry. I feel that the staff here are lovely, but it was obviously a bad morning service. We do recommend that the second floor isn't great for elderly people but as we are a listed building we are unable to fit lifts of rails.

I can't change the parking situation but will try to make sure that all staff inform guests of these potential problem areas.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

For many years i have hankered after staying here , but could never afford and/or justify the cost. Then my friends wanted somewhere nice to stay when we visited Penzance plus its my special birthday year!!!!! It was so relaxing and friendly , no airs and graces , homely and comfy beds especially the linen and down pillows!!!! Breakfast was delicious and such a choice too. The garden was a haven of peace and tranquility . The views amazing , I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue K
Reviewed August 22, 2013

If you're looking for the uniformity of a Marriott or Hilton, this isn't it thank goodness, if you're looking for a beautiful hotel full of antiques and paintings run like a stay at a country house weekend, this is your place. For more than twenty years Jean Shrimpton and Michael (Cox) and now their son Thadeus have had this exquisite hotel which is a complete delight to stay in, totally recommended as is their restaurant The Slipway next door. For more detail see the review of Boo033 below or here:

Room Tip: They're all good, but the first floor is best I think.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris W
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Back again! This time for our wedding night and night after.

After a crazy wonderful day is was a delight to sink into the oh so comfortable bed... Where we spent most of the next day drinking champagne and watching the Wimbledon final!

As always a great personal feel to the service, divine breakfast and even better than I remember it.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed twice on the way to and from the Scillies and it turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. A gorgeous hotel, lovely garden, superb rooms (we stayed in 1 and 6), excellent breakfast and attentive staff. We ate at the Slipway for dinner and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Where to start - The Abbey itself is peaceful, beautiful, tasteful, relaxing, comfortable. Every detail has been thought of and executed. The staff, without fail, were perfect. Nothing was too much trouble and they were always cheerful and helpful even late in the evening when they must have been tired. Breakfast was amazing. Afternoon tea in the lovely garden whilst quietly reading - perfect. Gorgeous, comfortable room. Spotlessly clean everywhere. I will definitely stay again quite soon I hope. Almost want to keep this hotel to myself. Restaurant next door was fabulous too. Lovely staff and great food. Thank you, Abbey, for such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo