“The Treasure In Penzance”
Review of The Abbey

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penzance
The Abbey
Ranked #48 of 82 Penzance B&B and Inns
Santa Clarita, California
“The Treasure In Penzance”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Abbey is so wonderful! I found this hotel on the internet -- its sweet, shabby chic appearance and historic interest appealed to me. My husband wasn't too thrilled, so I only booked one night. But it was such a wonderful place that once we realized what a treasure it was (as my husband agreed), we inquired about staying one more night. Naturally they were all booked. Anyway, we were very well received on a pretty summer afternoon. We were invited to come straight back into the lovely Drawing Room for some nice tea and delicious tea cakes after setting our luggage in our rooms. I loved Room Seven which my husband and I stayed in, with a pretty little view of the bay (and the bathroom across the corridor), and my teenagers enjoyed their twin Room Eight down the hall. Quirky, quaint, and cute! The hotel had an unusual kind of "Eclectic English" feel which in my opinion was just fun. The Breakfast Room was very nicely done -- we really enjoyed the setting and the menu/food was very good. We experienced excellent service and very friendly, helpful hosts. I wish I could say we plan to return to The Abbey, but we came from California for a once-in-a-lifetime family trip to the UK for the 2012 Olympics. Thanks to The Abbey for the memory of an overnight stay in what turned out to be our little treasure in Penzance.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Room Seven with a pretty little view of the bay. I felt like I was sleeping with the ang...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GabrielaT2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dartmouth
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I don't really want to tell you how lovely this hotel is because it will get too busy. The hotel is absolutely charming, the rooms delightful, the view splendid, the staff enthusiastic and helpful. Where else do you have a breakfast room with a roaring open fire and a breakfast cooked to order? Convenient for the town and its many restaurants. Wonderful views of St Michael's Mount.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jojo S
Farnborough Hants
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have been visiting Penzance for 35 years as my wife comes from nearby Newlyn. Because we have stayed in her parents house the Abbey Hotel has been a place we have never actually used. On our latest visit to Cornwall we decided to give the Hotel a try. Expectation invariably exceeds the reality but not in the case of the Abbey. It was a real pleasure for the entirety of our stay. The rooms are really atmospheric and it is genuinely like staying in a rather grand house. Great artwork on display with quality furnishings. Friendly staff and a superb breakfast. For someone who spends a lot of time in bland modern hotels on business this was a real treat.Our thanks to all the staff

Ernest & Zena Craske

1 Thank Ernestc C
Chester
Reviewed October 30, 2012

A beautiful very well appointed hotel with extremely friendly & helpful staff. Worth a visit to Penzance if only to stay here!! Breakfast was substantial with an unusual variety of choices. The Newlyn kippers are very good. The bedroom was well appointed with very comfortable beds and overlooking a secluded garden. other rooms have sea views but haven't actually seen one so cannot comment on these. We were asked our preference of daily paper and this was complimentary. Also the postcards of the hotel were all free and STAMPED ready for use. This is far and above the call of duty to my mind. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel along with the Bakehouse Restaurant just a short walk away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had a 'long weekend' stay here to visit my family after our recent wedding. I wanted to stay in Penzance as this was a very central location as far as visiting friends and family is concerned. It also meant we could visit all the places I wanted to show my husband without having to drive very far (Cape Cornwall, Land's End, Porthcurno, The Minack Theatre, Sennen, etc).

From the very start the staff were welcoming, helpful and friendly. Our room was absolutely gorgeous (we had the pink one), with cute views of the harbour and Mounts Bay, lovely quirky/vintage decor, a comfy bed, decent TV, large wardrobe, mini bookshelf - the photos for this particular room on the hotel's website do not do it justice, it is lots bigger than it looks... particularly the bathroom! The sun absolutely streams through the windows in the morning, I didn't wake up by alarm once.

Breakfast was very nice - a few quirky, and very 'Cornish' options, e.g. local fish, but also your standard English breakfast (the least greasy I've tasted), each ingredient tasted high quality. And the staff also brought out croissants whilst we waited for our 'ordered' breakfast, which was a nice touch.

There's a car park around the back but it's not very big - but somehow they make it work!

The Abbey itself was very, very quiet - I couldn't hear any outside noise from our room... and when we came in around 11pm one night we felt teenage again (like when you sneak in tipsy after a night out and try not to wake your parents) :D

As a final thought - the ONLY thing I would suggest to the owner is to provide hairdryers in each room - because of the price, I had no doubt that one would be provided but unfortunately it was not, which meant I had to wait for my hair to dry naturally before we could go out.

Regardless, we're hoping to return next summer - I would definitely recommend it :)

1 Thank Hass1337
Hyde, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

A fantastic hotel excellent in every way and a real home from home.A lovely position with great views and a very peaceful lovely garden to sit in and reflect on life.Fabulous friendly informative staff where nothing is too much trouble. Lovely rooms great comfortable bed. Spotlessly clean. Great breakfasts we could not ask for anything more and will definitely return ASAP.Very good value for the money and we have no hesitation what-so-ever in recommending this hotel and we have stayed in many over the years.
While in the area we highly recommend Tolcarne Inn Newlyn and Heather's Coffee Shop Pendeen.
Thank you to everyone at The Abbey Hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 3 which was great with lovely views over the harbour and over to St Michael's...
Bermuda
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have always wanted to stay at the Abbey on our visits to Penzance and had never quite got around to it! This time we did. Our room was on the top floor and comprised two bedrooms and a spacious well appointed bathroom with an excellent shower and plenty of hot water. We only needed the one bedroom so used the second room as a dressing room and to store our suitcases. The bed was ultra comfortable and the room very attractively decorated. We loved the book shelves with the 'faux' books!

Breakfast was plentiful and there were several choices including kippers, smoked haddock with eggs or The Abbey Breakfast which included eggs, bacon, sausage (which was absolutely delicious and we understand made in St. Ives), mushrooms and black pudding. Coffee and toast rounded off the meal. Service was efficient and pleasant.

The staff were most helpful and allowed us to put some wine and cheese we had been given as a gift in their refrigerator and although they do not have a laundry service and as we had been traveling prior to arriving at The Abbey they did a wash for us. When we told them we wished to have the wine and cheese in the sitting room before going out one evening they lit the fire and even provided us with a bowl of olives. Incidentally we found out afterwards that, although they do not serve dinner, there is wine for purchase at the hotel, we did not know this at the time and it was not mentioned nor did they charge corkage when we provided our own wine - a nice touch as I'm sure other hotels would have charged us corkage or not allowed us to drink our own wine on the premises.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Abbey and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends