“A Little Treasure”

The Barbican Coffee Shop
Ranked #2 of 9 Coffee & Tea in Penzance
Cuisines: British
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We found this place by accident, but we were delighted with the service and the quality of the food - by far the best toasted sandwich I have ever had! I had to ask what the cheese was only to find its their own combi of other cheeses. The coffee was real coffee freshly made,and the cakes....... hmmm I am now very hungry.
We went twice so its wasn't a fluke, yummy, will be back

1  Thank lisachester

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We visited The Barbican tea rooms on our recent holiday to Cornwall. We were very impressed by the decor, hosts and superb home made food. We tried The cornishmans lunch, jacket potatoes and the bacon cheese and mushroom roll. All were beautifully presented and suitable for healthy appetites.There were many personal touches that we liked such as piles of up to date magazines, cushions and toys for small children to play with.We would definitely reccomend.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We visited the Barbican on Mazey day as we felt it might provide a sanctuary/haven from the crowds. Sure enough, it was peaceful with a couple of customers and the whole feel of the place is oldy worldy and welcoming but unfortunately this did not extend to the hosts. We ordered two coffees, one with fresh cream (this was 20p extra) and a little while later the host appeared with two coffees, one with a pot of UHT cream. Her manner was dismissive on serving and when I pointed out that I had asked for fresh cream she seemed to be affronted by this and responded that she had not really heard the order. She returned a moment later with some fresh cream.

While we were drinking our coffee a customer came to the door to enquire whether she could bring a pushchair in: she was informed by one of the hosts that they did not have the room. At this point there were only three of us in there and there was certainly plenty of room!

A short while later the host who had served us came over to us and without saying a word reached over to get our glasses. She realised that I was still drinking my coffee and returned to the kitchen. Within moments the other female host came over to us and reached over for my glass. I said that I had not finished to which she responded that they needed the space! We left very soon after feeling neither welcomed nor valued as customers.

As residents of Penzance we were very disappointed to find such a lovely building with such ungracious hosts. Based on this experience we would not return to the Barbican, nor can we recommend it to others.

1  Thank Sherrol
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Tucked away behind the Dock Inn, this is a lovely place to go for a coffee or a light meal. The owners are really friendly and the food is well presented, plenty of it and very fresh. It is a really old building and one feels steeped in old Cornwall

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Stopped here after spending a chilly morning traipsing around St Michael's Mount. Really wanted tea and a biscuit and decided to order the cream tea. I was not disappointed - good quantity of tea, huge scones and great cream and jam. Lovely interior and I had the place to myself the entire time I was there (even the hostess disappeared after serving my tea), which made for a lovely, unhurried time. The cucumber and cheese sandwich I ordered wasn't quite as good - served on limp white bread and having shredded cheese in a sandwich makes for a messy experience - but I ended up taking it away for a snack later, as the cream tea was more than sufficient. Would definitely come here again.