“Cheerless experience”

The Barbican Coffee Shop
Ranked #2 of 9 Coffee & Tea in Penzance
Cuisines: British
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We visited the Barbican on Mazey day as we felt it might provide a sanctuary/haven from the crowds. Sure enough, it was peaceful with a couple of customers and the whole feel of the place is oldy worldy and welcoming but unfortunately this did not extend to the hosts. We ordered two coffees, one with fresh cream (this was 20p extra) and a little while later the host appeared with two coffees, one with a pot of UHT cream. Her manner was dismissive on serving and when I pointed out that I had asked for fresh cream she seemed to be affronted by this and responded that she had not really heard the order. She returned a moment later with some fresh cream.

While we were drinking our coffee a customer came to the door to enquire whether she could bring a pushchair in: she was informed by one of the hosts that they did not have the room. At this point there were only three of us in there and there was certainly plenty of room!

A short while later the host who had served us came over to us and without saying a word reached over to get our glasses. She realised that I was still drinking my coffee and returned to the kitchen. Within moments the other female host came over to us and reached over for my glass. I said that I had not finished to which she responded that they needed the space! We left very soon after feeling neither welcomed nor valued as customers.

As residents of Penzance we were very disappointed to find such a lovely building with such ungracious hosts. Based on this experience we would not return to the Barbican, nor can we recommend it to others.

1  Thank Sherrol

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Tucked away behind the Dock Inn, this is a lovely place to go for a coffee or a light meal. The owners are really friendly and the food is well presented, plenty of it and very fresh. It is a really old building and one feels steeped in old Cornwall

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Stopped here after spending a chilly morning traipsing around St Michael's Mount. Really wanted tea and a biscuit and decided to order the cream tea. I was not disappointed - good quantity of tea, huge scones and great cream and jam. Lovely interior and I had the place to myself the entire time I was there (even the hostess disappeared after serving my tea), which made for a lovely, unhurried time. The cucumber and cheese sandwich I ordered wasn't quite as good - served on limp white bread and having shredded cheese in a sandwich makes for a messy experience - but I ended up taking it away for a snack later, as the cream tea was more than sufficient. Would definitely come here again.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

I had a simple meal of baked potato with cheese and salad. Obviously the potato had been microwaved - the salad was odd because I kept finding bits of tinned pineapple in it. Earlier in the week I had coffee and cake which was more successful.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

We had lunch twice at this coffee shop which we found by accident. The food is excellent and the staff very friendly. I had a Cornish cream tea and it was excellent value with two huge scones and lots of jam and cream. There is a very high step into the cafe, but handles on the wall are a great help. Would recommend this to everyone.

1  Thank Portley11