“Ordinary, expensive and not a warm welcome”
Review of Penmorvah

Penmorvah
Penmorvah
Ranked #32 of 82 Penzance B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Ordinary, expensive and not a warm welcome”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

JUDGING by the reviews that have gone before it would appear service and friendliness are paramount at Penmorvah which made it even more unfortunate that the level of service we received was disappointing and unwelcome.

We were using the B&B as a one-night stopover either side of a trip to the Isles of Scilly. Its location cannot be faulted sitting as it does on a street which is taken over by nothing but B&Bs. Free on-street parking is available directly outside, a benefit given our intention to leave the car in Penzance during our onward travel.

We arrived late in the evening, doing our utmost to keep Nigel informed of our arrival time in spite of patchy phone reception and, latterly, the demise of the phone's battery. Upon arrival we were made immediately to feel as though we had inconvenienced Nigel, a poor display for any hotelier. A remark was made about how little sleep he would get because of needing to get up to prepare our breakfast for us. We were spending £75 for little over 6 hours in his guest house and he was well aware of our timings well in advance. It was disappointing not to be made to feel more welcome.

The rooms are fine. Ours was quite pokey and the bathroom was outdated. The sliding door between the bedroom and bathroom was a little light on privacy. There was nothing particularly noteworthy either positive or negative about the rooms.

In the morning we spoke briefly with Nigel about the Isles of Scilly and he was pleasant however we had found his attitude the previous night sufficiently unwelcome to not warm to him particularly when the morning came.

The purpose of our stay at Penmorvah was a restful night's sleep which was achieved. Aside from that nothing was offered. It was very disappointing to come away with negative thoughts of a guest house which was well-reviewed and where we had anticipated in such a short amount of time that nothing could give rise to any concerns. However at £75 per night it is far from cheap and the service did nothing to improve my feelings to a considerably middle-of-the-road establishment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Excellent help on arrival,no problems with accomodating our request for an early breakfast the next morning, answered random questions that we had and very comfy beds. A great place to stay. A very pleasant warm temperature, help with our luggage. A convenient location very close to the town centre yet extremely quiet and very pretty. Thank you to Nigel. I would definitely recommend this place.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Suzanne W
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in September. Although the accommodation was presentable I felt it was rather overpriced - at £50 a night - for what it was. My room was at the back of the house and overlooked a back yard. I was woken early by banging from the plumbing from the upstairs bathrooms. Breakfast had a limited time slot of only 45 minutes, although it was beautifully cooked. My ensuite was more than adequate but it was marred by the mould in the corners of the shower and very small towels. Luckily I bought my own towel so was able to wrap myself in that - not possible in the towels provided. I would not stay here again as it was too expensive for what it provided.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was made to feel very welcome indeed. Such a pleasant experience. Clean and tidy with excellent (and modern) en suite facilities. Great local knowledge imparted at breakfast time. I highly recommend the Full English. Unfortunately, due to very early departure after my second night I couldn't take breakfast so without a seconds thought they made me up a lovely takeaway breakfast bag with all sorts of goodies in it such as croissants, orange juice, jam, banana etc. They even remembered to pack a little knife and napkin bless 'em.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Andrew P
Northern Ireland
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I was going to a concert at the Minack Theatre and was looking for somewhere reasonably priced. Penmorvah fitted the bill exactly. It was comfortable, inexpensive and located within walking distance of the town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just stayed here for 2 nights, having booked only a few weeks ago. I booked a family room (double and 1 single bed) and was given a lovely room facing the back of the hotel. All rooms are named after lighthouses, and ours was called Bishops Rock. I would guess it has been refurbished recently, the ensuite was fantastic, a lovely big walk in shower and plenty of room. Beds were very comfy and we slept very well. Breakfast was great, plenty of choice and the cooked breakfast was fanastic. Michelle and Nigel are very friendly and welcoming hosts, nothing was too much trouble for them. I would not hesitate in recommending Penmorvah to anyone, and will definately come back and stay again, in fact I can't wait. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kreuzlingen, Switzerland
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We spent two nights at the Penmorvah Guest House. We received a very warm welcome and Bobby my dog and me were very well treated. Nigel is very helpful with any information on the aerea you need. The Guest House is within easy reach of the town city, restaurants and harbour. Breaktfast is luxurious in the morning and they make it earlier for you if you want to get the boat to the Scilly iles. My room was spacious and spotless with a new refurbished bathroom. But most of all: no fuss about the dog (all the restrictions you usually get at other places) and he was there for free!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo