“Been endless times and it is heaven”
Review of Waterside Meadery

Waterside Meadery
Ranked #1 of 11 Nightlife in Penzance
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I have been here since I was a kid prior to going over to Scillies. Every year we stay overnight in a B & B in Penzance prior to our trip and every year we eat at Penzance Meadery. All I can say is it's dark, rustic, lovely, atmospheric, friendly and great value with fanastic service. You can eat quickly or spend all night. The meadery is situated right on the harbour and donned out with ship wreck paraphernalia with large rusic wooden tables and benches - it's lovely and very relaxed. The food menu is simple and has never changed and it doesn't need to - scampi and chips or chicken in the rough are amazing. Yes it is fried but the batter/breadcrumbs and the freshness of the food make it absolutely scrummy. The chips are divine but if you want salad instead you can have a huge salad as a healthy option. The portions are out of this world! Once upon a time food was served on wooden platters and we ate with our fingers but this has changed a little now - I guess due to hygiene although I liked it before! The final word is - you have to have a carafe of the honey mead wine (or liquor is even better and stronger) - it is simply delicious and served in lovely minute sherry glasses. It goes very nicely with the food and is also an aphrodisiac hence why they name it the honeymooners drink! Not sure if this is true but it does make you warm and fuzzy! Don't get me started on the desserts! But the peach melba with clotted cream is to die for!!! You have to go! There are also other meadery restaurants dotted around Cornwall.

4  Thank KatrinWells_Somerset
There are newer reviews for Waterside Meadery

Reviewed May 9, 2011

If you don't like fried food - dont bother - everything is deep fried and all sauces come in saches! It's like McDonalds only the food is not even as good and its restaurant prices at a greasy spoon!
More importantly, we had to sit next to a table full of yobs who, despite complaining to the management, managed to sour the atmosphere with their language and yobbishness! Never again!

4  Thank missdemeenorDorset
Reviewed May 2, 2011

My wife and I went in on a fairly quiet night for drinks and puddings but no one seemed to care. Interesting but very sweet array of meads and other drinks, moody atmosphere and staff in costumes. Had to go to the bar repeatedly as the (many) staff did not come to us. This place could be really good but I won't be going back to see if it ever will.

1  Thank Congoblues
Reviewed January 3, 2010

when we went 2 the meadry we loved it!! the food is lovely,the staff are nice,We enjyed our selves

3  Thank gawgus
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Having paid four times as much as the food was worth the cherry on the cake was paying single malt wiskey prices for elderberry mead that tasted like vimto. Never again.

5  Thank Baconbutty68