“Lands End to John O'Goats cyclist”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penzance
Cornerways Guest House
Ranked #11 of 82 Penzance B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed at this B+B at the end of May 2013. I found the host to be one of the most accommodating individuals I have ever had the pleasure of paying! I thought I had had a couple of slightly odd requests......I needed to store my bike in a safe location and I needed to leave early the next morning. This was not a problem at all. It was too early for breakfast but the owner left me a first class packed lunch - beautifully packed and delicious. It helped me greatly on the first day of my quest to cycle the length of the country and got me to Exeter well fuelled - it was pretty much the perfect packed lunch for a cyclist - lots of flavour and carbs. The room was clean, tidy, well presented (stylish even) and first class value. Matt you are a star. The reviewer who gave this place a low score must have caught Matt on a bad day in my humble opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for a packed lunch - you wont regret it!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lejogmay2013
Matt M, Owner at Cornerways Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

A big thank you for your most lovely comment. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope you had an enjoyable tour to John O'Groats without any problems. I would love to welcome you back to Cornerways one day.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had a really lovely stay at the Cornerways guesthouse. There was more than everything you need for a succeed Cornwall trip. The room was very clean, daily tidied up. I was able to choose every moring a different breakfast. Every single morging it was absolutly delicious and fresh cooked. From the cornerways it is only a 3 minute walk to the train and main busstation. Also the towncentre of Penzance is just a few minute walk away. And the pub is just across the road. There isn't any better location for a Guesthouse. The owner and very lovely host had some very good recommendations about the "places to be" in cornwall. The atmosphere was absolutely hearty. I felt very well and I ve enjoyed the time so much. I would love to come back to this wonderful place. Thumbs up for the Cornerways and Penzance. You re doing a great job! Thank you again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your encouraging and lovely comment. My staff and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you to Cornerways Guest House again. Best wishes from West Cornwall!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

A really clean B &B, very professionally run in a pleasant and courteous manner by both owner and staff.
The rooms may not be large, but it is a B&B, not a luxury hotel, and the rooms are fully equipped and well laid out, with all the usual provisions, and a comfortable bed.
Breakfast was cooked to a high standard, the food is mostly local and was very fresh.
Location really close to Penzance rail station is really convenient, yet the rooms are peaceful.
The owner was a pleasure to talk with, but never intruded.
Chocolates in reception...
What more could you ask?
Oh yes - great prices too!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank S D
Matt M, Owner at Cornerways Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your encouraging review. I have passed your comment on to my staff who were delighted, too. My staff and I would like to point out that it was a great pleasure to accommodate you. I was very happy when you were talking about coming back and so let me say that we at Cornerways do look forward to welcoming you back one day. All the best to you.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Cornerways in early April. Mr Martens made us feel very much at home just as he had done when I stayed there with two friends a year ago when we were at the end of a John O'Groats to Land's End cycle ride. On that occasion we found that he had taken over the guest house in the previous week and we could honestly say that it was the best stay that we had experienced in our whole journey down the length of the UK! Nothing had changed in the ensuing year; if anything it was even better. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the "full Cornish breakfast" was really good. Mr Martens was as friendly as ever and was very helpful in recommending places to visit in the day and places at which to eat out in the evenings. Car parking was easy in the long stay car park by the bus station which is less than a five minute walk away. We will certainly return!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anthony S
Matt M, Owner at Cornerways Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you so very much indeed for your highly appreciated and encouraging review. I am more than glad that you did enjoy your stays with us. I am delighted that you are thinking of coming back to Cornerways and my staff and I are looking forward to make you feel most welcome again. Our aim is to guarantee you a home away from home atmosphere. All the best to you and your wife. It was a great pleasure to have you here.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great location - Less than 5 minutes walk from the station, harbour, main bus station
Friendly service - Matt's hospitality throughout the stay was top class (Travel tips, restaurant tips and even Easter Eggs)
Value for Money - 35 pounds per night including breakfast - it cannot get better than that
Fantastic Rooms - clean, spacious, well-stocked with complimentary toiletries and eatables, and with functional appliances
Superb Breakfast - timely, vegetarian options, variety and most importantly, tastes great

If I go to Penzance again, I would not bother searching for other places to stay...Cornerways would be a first choice without a doubt. It sets extremely high standards for a guest house.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SameerS545
Matt M, Owner at Cornerways Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you so very much indeed for your lovely comment. I am more than glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Be assured that it was such a great pleasure to have you and your friends here as our guests. It would be our great pleasure to welcome you back to Cornerways one day. All the best to you and your friends.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

On a cold and bleak december evening, and just a minute or 2 away from Penzance rail station, Matt gave us a very warm welcome at a very cosy place. We've not stayed at a B& B for a while, but this place was very pleasant surprise. Its very clean and the breakfasts were great. Matt was a pleasure to talk with too. We would recommend it to anyone.

The only very small downside was that we assumed check out was at 12, but we were wrong. (apparently it was in the T's and C's and also on the back of the door on a sign that it was 10am...but the sign was covered when we put our coat on a hanger by the sign). So anyway, at 10 am the cleaner asked us to leave asap, although she did say we had time to shower and pack. It was just the manner it was said that seemed a bit unnecessary. We were also a bit surprised about Matt's seemingly unnecessary tone when, shortly after agreeing to pack asap, we asked for a simple replacement of an item in the bathroom. It was as if the combination of getting the leaving time wrong and the request made him feel we were somehow trying to take advantage. His tone completely changed. I wouldnt let this put you off, and would still recommend it...but just dont sway from the rules.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the room on the front of street as there was quite a bit of noise from folks coming bac...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Spudsnruf
Matt M, Owner at Cornerways Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you very much for your review and for recommending Cornerways Guest House. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay - and talking to you and your wife was my pleasure, too.
I am very sorry that there were some misunderstandings. Regarding our check-out time: In our booking confirmation we let you know that you were booked in until 'after breakfast' on the day of your departure. Our check-out time is 60 minutes after breakfast. You are absolutely right, our check-out time is also stated on a sign attached to the doors of our bedrooms. 12 o'clock as a regular check-out time without any prior arrangement is very rare in this country. About 15 minutes after check-out time our staff was surprised to realise that you had obviously gone back to bed. We would have been happy to arrange a late check-out in advance which we always do subject to availability. On arrival, we provide complimentary teas, a selection of herbal infusions, coffee etc. and biscuits which we happily replace on a daily basis. On arrival, we also provide complimentary soap, shower gel, body lotion, a grooming kit and a shoeshine kit. I am so sorry that you had the impression that I changed my tone trying to explain 35 minutes after check-out that the soap you asked for was usually provided on arrival but we would provide more soap anyway. You turned your back and left. My staff was a bit surprised to find more than half of the soap we had provided in your bathroom after your departure. Later I apologised for any inconvenience caused by the most regrettable misunderstanding regarding check-out time and offered you to leave your luggage until the departure of your train.
I hope that trying to explain the misunderstandings between us has helped a bit. I do remember you as friendly and lovely guests and we would be happy to accommodate you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Cornerways met and in fact far exceeded my expectations which had been generated by the description on its website. As a guest house it sets a very high standard. I spent three nights there at the end of September. Its location really was only a three minute walk from the coach and train station on a quiet side street. Absolutely ideal for me as I arrived by train from Paddington and departed again on the Sleeper Late Night Train. I did various excursions each day by both coach and train.

The unusual shaped room and en suite shower and toilet were spotless. Nothing was stinted with regard to amenities. Not simply tea or coffee but also hot chocolate and biscuits. The attention to detail regarding a guest’s comfort included useful additional wall hooks, ample drawer space, and a boot /shoe tray.

I was a first time visitor to Cornwall and really appreciated in the room the enormous selection of sightseeing brochures on famous attractions plus a local bus and rail timetable.
Breakfast was delicious. Actually far more than just a standard English cooked breakfast was available.
Matt who owns Cornerways combined a very professional standard of service with a friendliness and a genuine personal interest in making sure this overseas visitor enjoyed her stay not only in Penzance, but gave suggestions on day excursions and how to see more of Cornwall in the three days.
Cornerways was perfect for my needs, I wish I had been able to stay longer..

G. Pilkington

Room Tip: There are only four rooms - and judging from conversation with other guests at breakfast - all rooms...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Gillian P

Thank you so very much for your review. We at Cornerways are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to be part of your holidays in Cornwall. We would be more than delighted to welcome you to Cornerways again. All the best to you.