“lovely place, perfect location, super nice staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Longboat Hotel

The Longboat Hotel
Ranked #54 of 87 Penzance B&B and Inns
Nuremberg, Germany
“lovely place, perfect location, super nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed there one night at the end of August 2012 during a long weekend in Cornwall. I arrived at Penzance at 8am and couldn't check in my room as it was too early, but they kindly kept my luggage until I got back in the evening and even let me use the pub's bathroom (lovely and VERY clean) to freshen myself up after a long night trip by train. The room was very spacious, clean and had its own bathroom, also quite big for UK standards. Towels and toiletries are provided, including a hairdryer, and there's a tv in the room even if I did not use it. It is true that the plumbing system is noisy, I think it's like that for the upper floors only as you can clearly hear the system pumping the water, therefore it's noisy every time you flush or have a shower. But it doesn't last long and it's not so irritating in my opinion. The only problem I had was with the lights as they seem to be automatic (they turn off when they do not detect any noise)or maybe I had too much cider at the pub and I couldn't figure out how to turn them off, so every time I turned in my bed during the night there was a small flicker of light which woke me up and bothered me quite a lot. but I think it can be fixed, I was just too lazy to try... I had dinner at the inn's restaurant and the food and wine were lovely and the pub area is very nice too. There is a cinema room somewhere but I did not use it. Breakfast is very good too, there's a vegetarian option as well, and the super cute guy who was serving breakfasts came and refilled our coffee more than a few times, always with a smile. I think I want to marry him.
Location is perfect, just one minute from the train/bus station and very convenient for the many open top bus trips to Land's End and surrounding towns. I would definitely go back, and probably will one day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed one night on a whistle stop visit of Cornwall. Hard to fault the location since the railway station is immediately outside the front door and a short walk onwards and you will find yourself by the picturesque harbour side and main shopping streets. The room was very comfortable, even if it was slightly overpriced and featured the noisiest plumbing system I’ve ever heard. However, breakfast is included in the price (order the full Cornish breakfast - delicious) and apparently there is a cinema room in the building too. Tuesday night is quiz night, and after each round of questions a rather generous prize is awarded. Stay was better than expected.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

we have stayed there lots of times , ryan and all the staff are wonderful they can't do enough, the rooms are always clean tidy and bed comfortable the breakfast is very nice and we have eaten in the restuarant many times and nerver been disapointed l would recommend this hotel £85 for a double room with breakfast good deal

Room Tip: in the winter months they do winter warmer deals £120 two nights double room and breakfast
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Didn't stay but popped in for lunch, which turned out to be really good! The chips are fabulous. Was really pleasantly surprised. Lovely new toilets in the bar area too. Would definitely recommend for bar food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Wee stayed here for 4 nights arriving Mazey Day. The room was great, spacious with lots of tea coffee and biscuits provided. We overlooked the beer garden but no noise, it was poor weather tho.
The breakfasts were scrummy and the staff very friendly, the bar staff were also lovely, with a special mention to John, the second in command for whom nothing was too much trouble. He was lovely. The weekly quiz ia a must do, great fun, even tho we did come last!
Penance is a lovely town with loads going on and this pub is a couple of minutes walk to both train and bus stations for trips further afield. A great base to tour this part of Cornwall.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

We extended our stay in Penzance and our B&B was unable to extend our stay but found room at the Longboat hotel for us. It is a pub and is not the newest, but the decor was fine and our room was the biggest we had for our 3 month holiday in Europe. Room was clean and comfortable. Location of hotel was good, opposite corner of railway station where we parked our car, and at the end of the main shopping area of Penzance. Our room price included breakfast, but after having dinner there on our first night, we decided to have breakfast elsewhere. The food was very poor. The group of 4 at the table next to us, picked a bit at their's and then left. How could you destroy fish and chips?? Apart from the restaurant which I could not recommend, the room was great and I would be more than happy to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Penzance, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

we pop in from time to time , always made very welcome , the food is good value for money and the staff are always friendly , the pub is very clean !

Room Tip: this review is for the pub side of things
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family