“Staff and Service Shine”
Review of The Lugger Hotel

The Lugger Hotel
Ranked #66 of 81 Penzance B&B and Inns
Overland Park, Kansas
“Staff and Service Shine”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Lugger for a week, leaving the day after Boxing Day. Our room was large and clean and had an amazing view of the sea. The night of the highest waves -- Dec. 23. -- this view was spectacular as the surf reached all the way to our second floor window. The room also had comfortable beds and great thick towels and very good heat. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home and to make sure we were comfortable. Breakfast each morning was made to our individual likings. The Christmas Carvery was wonderful, as was the atmosphere that surrounded all the holiday events held in the restaurant at the Lugger. One suggestion would be to make part of the ground floor into a lounge/parlor so guests could have a place to sit and read and socialize outside of the restaurant/bar. Again, kudos to an amazing staff.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room facing the sea.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KSdoc2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We booked the Hotel as it was one of only three available for boxing day, also it was close to the Cornish Pirates rugby ground. We were greeted as we arrived at 2:30pm to be told the restaurant was closing at 5pm and bar at 6:30pm we were told this was because "it's our Christmas you know". We called the hotel on 2 separate occasions to make our booking and so did another person in our party but at no time were we told of this - everyone is entitled to time off but how can you expect guests to pay full price for only part service/facilities and at the very least they should tell people in advance so they can decide if they still wish to book? The rooms were very dated and in need of time and money spent on them to get them up to the standard you expect for the price they are charging. We would not stay here again. Bedding and towels were all clean. We had rooms next to each other and some how mixed up the keys but this didn't matter as both keys opened both doors?! Not very secure.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Penzance hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We arrived on a wet and stormy Sunday night, thankful to be off the dark, rain-soaked and unfamiliar roads. Easy to find on any night, it is the only hotel on the promenade (seafront walk or esplanade), with strings of coloured lights strung over the entrance. A friendly greeting at the large and well lit open foyer door, then up to our 2nd floor double room (it would be called a first floor room in the USA). It had two glorious, large bay windows looking directly across the promenade to the waves smashing against the sea wall. Our room was large and clean with a brass double bed one end, and a sofa the other. Also an LCD hi def tv, a hot water kettle (with coffee, tea and milk provided), on a small table beside it. There was also a table and chairs in one of the large bay windows, just perfect for storm or people watching. An armoire, chest of drawers, dressing table, and pair of bedside tables provided plenty of storage space. The ensuite bathroom was modern and very clean with a glass-fronted shower. Note: This is not the Ritz, nor is it a B&B. It is, however, a very friendly and well run hotel, that includes a good restaurant, a fine bar, and an efficient and friendly staff. It is also situated in the very heart of the promenade of Penzance. Location! Location! Location! (they also serve an unforgettable cappacino!). We are definitely going back to the Lugger hotel. TK & Marie. (PS. When you go, pls give Leslie (owner), and Steve, our very best.

Room Tip: We had a second floor double with two bay windows with seaview. PERFECT!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank photogman2013
Helston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at the Lugger Hotel this weekend for a friends wedding which was amazing. The hotel was the location for the main meal and the evening reception. The food was of the highest standard, I have had some Carvery's in my time but my god that food was amazing - that much so we went all the way back there today for some more!

Our room had the most perfect view of the rolling storm entering the Esplanade and it was one of those views you just couldn't take your eyes away from it, with St Michaels Mount in the distance, breath-taking is all I can say!

If you want to stay somewhere with wonderful and friendly staff, excellent customer service and food which is fit for kings stay here! I would most definitely stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had previously read of some reviews of the Lugger Hotel in Penzance. I though, Oh my what have I let my self in for. I was going for my God daughters wedding. Well, all I can say is all of the bad press and comments are unjustified. What a brilliant team they have there. They are friendly, polite and can't do enough for you. The food was second to none and tthe buffet was also amazing. My room was huge and warm with tea and coffee in the room. It is right on the sea front over looking almost St Michaels Mount. I have been in some major hotel chains in and around the UK that dont go anywhere near the reception I had at the Lugger Hotel. What a lovely town too. I will go back sometime, and I do look forward to it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John G
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time staying here the food was fantastic. We had a buffet that was supplied by the hotel and all the different items were delicious. Great location right on the front with a short walk to the centre. The sea was very rough on arrival and you could hear the waves crashing on the front which was great to listen to.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Discostu25
Newlyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Beautiful lunch at the Lugger Hotel penzance however several critIsisms, whoever has told the staff to keep circling the tables like sharks has made a mistake. I put my knife and fork down and in a flash there she was saying have you finished now? No I hadn't I was having a rest. We were told twice to go up and get our carvery when we were having a pre lunch drink. Coffee wasn't a pleasant affair as we turned our backs on the sharks as to not catch their eyes before we had finished. We didn't have a pudding as our table was obviously booked for another diner. A beautiful meal ruined by over zealous staff. As a long time customer of this hotel I will not be having lunch here again. We were in served and out in under an hour and I dont find this acceptable. The front of house person was sour faced and only seemed interested in what was obviously her friends/family as the kids were allowed to run around climbing all over the bench seat which we were sitting. Not a pleasant experience by any means.Come on Lugger sort it out or you will be empty come the winter months.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends