“No matter how desperate you are, the car is a better option!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Lugger Hotel
Ranked #67 of 87 Penzance B&B and Inns
Worcester Park
“No matter how desperate you are, the car is a better option!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I need add no more really but feel I must. The curtains were hanging off the rail, there was no hot water, the smell of dope in the hallway was overwhelming as was the music coming from the room next door. We had on checking in, paid extra for the breakfast and when the milk arrived to go with the tea there were bits of black just floating on the surface, not sure what they were and tried not to think about it too much as we were starving having had a 6 hour drive the day before and missing dinner (which I am now grateful for). Not a place I would recommend to anyone. How does it keep going, surely there must be hygiene checks from some authority?

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 570SarahB570

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Myself and my partner had booked this a few months ago as part of a mini tour of cornwall.
We arrived early and our room was ready, however we were greeted with " I see you have booked a budget room" we were taken to room no 7, a dingy room that smelt musky, that looked unclean and very outdated, The window was broken it was freezing cold, and the shower was situated in the corner of the room in a cupboard that also was unclean.
The view was awful which I can only describe as overlooking a shanty town.
The tea and coffee were a cheap brand which is ok, however when I came to make a coffee the next morning, the milk had gone all bitty, leaving white clumps, totally undrinkable.
Extremely overpriced down to the burger and chips which we were charged 10.95 for, staff shirty and unhelpful.

The worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in a few.

Awful place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wills123795

Travelers are raving about these Penzance hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Booked in advance a double room. On arrival got told it was a budget room that was a twin room. No breakfast included which was disappointing. The room was so outdated I thought I was still in the 80's. The furniture and fittings were ancient and even the tea bags were budget! It felt as if the hotel wanted to squeeze as much money as they could out of you for the minimum return of overall quality! So, the room was abysmal and crying for a BASIC make over, Even the free WiFi never worked, The food in the the bar was so overpriced, One staff member was interested more in a phone call than me waiting at the bar! Seriously this place is falling to bits and they charge so much! This is the first hotel review I have written amd and im not usually that fussy but I would rather sleep in a tip than this place very very poor, outdated and astronomically priced! 1000% Stay away!!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Robspur1
Truro, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We booked a room at this hotel to avoid an early start as we were catching the Scillionian on Monday morning.

The room was basic, the staff were unhelpful, it was noisy with 'comings & goings' until 3am and expensive - £70 for room only!!

We arrived at around 7.30pm and booked in with a very abrupt young lady who came from behind the bar as no one was around at the office.. She handed us a key and then left us to find our own way to the room.

We went down and sat outside to enjoy a drink but then on retiring to our room at around 9.30pm, my husband was going to make a hot drink when it appeared that the kettle didn't work. A replacement was found after a trip down to the bar and a wait of around 20 minutes.

Not a hotel we would ever stay at again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Friend145
seeking only the best
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

This hotel needs money spent to bring it into this century. However, it was clean and a good location. Steve, and Ruth could not do enough to help us. It is a party hotel with lots going on which we really liked. Parking is a problem with limited space. For what we were charged we could not complain. We would recommend this hotel for just a couple of nights stay. The food is good also. The carvery is £10.50 each bit on the expensive side but, again good.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very expensive for a distinctly average room. Breakfast was extra too! Just don't bother booking here, there are better places to stay in Penzance. The only positive is that they allowed our dog to stay too.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank percyp1
surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

The room was awful, mostly due to a horrendous eggy sulphur smell every time the toilet was flushed, which lingered in the room for ages. It made me feel sick at night, couldn't sleep. When we told the hotel they didn't bat an eyelid. Got the impression they knew about it but just took the money off people anyway. Expensive room for such grossness. Also tv didn't work and there was hair in the plughole in the bath and sink. The bath was a nightmare as I didn't want to have a sit-down bath (the hair kinda made it seem unclean) but the shower attachment was a hand-held jobby and only came up to my chest which meant I had to squat. My hardcore travelling days are over man, and even if I did decide to live that roughing-it life again..... I wouldn't be spending 85 quid to do so. Absolute joke.

• Stayed August 2013