“Fantastic Anniversary meal”
Review of The Bay Restaurant

The Bay Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 189 Restaurants in Penzance
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Bay in Penzance is a relaxed, airy and modern restaurant with a cheery atmosphere. The evening menu is seasonally updated and the All Day Dining menu includes a daily changing Menu De Jour. The restaurant prides itself on locally sourced produce from locally caught fish to dairy and meats from local farms. They even have Cornish wine! In the summer months guests can eat on the outdoor deck with stunning views across Mount's Bay and over the rooftops to Penzance harbour.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had our 22nd Wedding Anniversary meal here last night. We had a warm welcome as soon as we entered the restaurant, the staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. The restaurant itself has great views overlooking the bay. The food was lovely a real taste sensation. Overall this was a very pleasant evening and i wouldn't hesitate to eat here again.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Lovely location with beautiful views over Penzance Harbour, stylish attractive restaurant. Very good food and nice selection we were given a voucher as a present, so would probably not have tried this restaurant otherwise, We had a very pleasant lunch with excellent service. We would recommend The Bay and are arranging to go back for another meal

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We ate here a few days ago to celebrate a birthday. The staff had remembered it was a special occasion from my booking and accordingly gave us a table with a lovely view over the harbour. The service was excellent throughout - friendly and proactive but discreet. We also loved the food - lots of interesting flavours. The chocolate fondant pudding was a big hit! I didn't try anything from it but they also have an excellent-looking vegan menu which is great to see and very rare in somewhere of this calibre.
The only reason I haven't given it 5 starts is that the decor is slightly charmless and hard - bit like an 80s wine bar with metal and leather stools at the bar etc and I didn't really like the muzak that was playing, though I realise it's very hard to get this right as you don't want it too be too quiet or too intrusive. These are minor points, however, and we'll definitely be back and would definitely recommend it to others.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

If there is one word to sum up the Bay, it would be 'awkward'. From the moment we stepped in, we were met with a slightly blank and lifeless look from the Restaurant Manager. Rather than lead us to our table, he pointed and we walked first. His welcome was only to explain the water gun on the table to scare away a seagul. It was a c30 minute wait before someone came back for orders. This was a constant theme, insofar as there was little attention when we needed it, and lots when we didn't. The restaurant probably suffers from waitresses not being allocated tables, and sharing staff with the hotel. That said, the view of Penzance bay was amazing, and we didn't mind spending time there. The food itself was good, even if the 'set menu' was more 'base price plus myriad of supplements'. The chef prioritised style over substance; on some dishes to the point of extremes. We left feeling a little bit awkward.

Kehribar, Owner at The Bay Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

I'm sorry you felt awkward by the lack of service standards provided by our temporary restaurant manager, that, coupled with what I imagine was a very busy service [our Hotel staff would not otherwise be deployed to assist]. Normally our management team have a good grip on service standards and temper the pace to that dictated by the guest. In regards to the current fixed price menu, the supplements relate to the popular prime items such as lobster etc as these we could not do without especially in the high season, but they don't lend themselves to being included in a £24 fixed price two course menu. I hope you enjoyed the evening despite the 'awkwardness'

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had booked a table for 12 of lady's to celebrate a 40th & 50th birthday party as a special treat. Unfortunately, we did not feel that we received a very warm welcome and the man that took our order was so miserable and unfriendly. Everything was too much trouble for him. When our order was finally delivered it was with many errors, including some people having their main meal when others were given their starters, chips served as a starter and crab cakes as the main meal, Chardonnay poured into glasses that had Pinot in, 2 of our group's food was forgotten and had to be cooked from scratch and to top it off they tried to charge us extra on our bill and blamed their till for it!! It was a shambles to say the least. My friend complained and they did give us some free wine in the end but nothing would have been volunteered as an apology. I do have to say that the food we did eat was lovely and couldn't be faulted but the rest of the experience just let it down. I just feel that it is such a shame as the venue is amazing, views are fantastic and it clearly has great potential. Another group of my friends recently attended a hen party lunch there and they were really disappointed too.

Dear Joanne P
I've tried a couple of times to contact you by phone to get further information from you as to what happened as I'm very concerned by your review, and to improve the situation. It would be helpful if you could find a moment at your convenience to call me back. The restaurant manager on duty at the time was a five week temporary placement who is no longer with us. I hope [trust] no one in future would have a disappointing experience. I look forward to hearing from you.