“Pricey, but very nice”
Review of The Bay Restaurant

The Bay Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 184 Restaurants in Penzance
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Bay in Penzance is a relaxed, airy and modern restaurant with a cheery atmosphere. The evening menu is seasonally updated and the All Day Dining menu includes a daily changing Menu De Jour. The restaurant prides itself on locally sourced produce from locally caught fish to dairy and meats from local farms. They even have Cornish wine! In the summer months guests can eat on the outdoor deck with stunning views across Mount's Bay and over the rooftops to Penzance harbour.
Munich, Germany
“Pricey, but very nice”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We went here a week ago for a birthday dinner and we didn't leave disappointed. Staff were exceedingly friendly and service was swift, efficient and courteous.

As for the food, my seared tuna starter with sesame was absolutely divine. Then we went for the beef to share as our main. Well...the quality of the meat was beyond reproach. Tender, juicy, tasty, it was close to perfect. It came with some nicely spiced black pudding, excellent bacon and lovely scallops too, and while all of the ingredients were very flavoursome, I would say that the scallops and the bacon were perhaps surplus to requirements. Also, I would rarely complain about this, but the quantity of meat was borderline absurd! My major gripe though is that the beef came with a hefty £16 surcharge on top of the set menu price.

That was our only criticism in the end. Dessert was great too: ice cream with three unusual flavours (star aniseed and cream cheese, I can't remember the third!), and I had a Bloody Mary that was simply spot-on. So, all in all a lovely place with a nice atmosphere, commendable staff and excellent-quality food.

• Visited November 2012
Kehribar, Owner at The Bay Restaurant, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for your positive review, and constructive comments. I apologise if our menu was a
little complex to understand. We produce a core 2 or 3 course menu with a fixed price in the evening, so diners can know exactly what to expect for their fixed budget, but at least 40% of our guests want to 'push the boat out' and enjoy more elaborate and premium dishes which are shown at a supplement, like our lobster menu and the double beef you enjoyed, and others enjoy a greater quantity of vegetables, so these are also additinally made available at a supplement This is shown clearly on the menu, and offers the greatest range of choices our kitchen can manage for those who want something special. There was a single beef fillet choice also, which was cheaper and less complex and might have suited you, on reflection, better. I'm pleased that you were so thoughtful about the elements of your experience, I'm sure review readers will appreciate your comments. I hope if you have time to visit Penzance in the future, that we have the pleasure of your company again.

Helston, United Kingdom
“Memorable and delicious”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

From the moment we walked in, we were greeted with courtesy and professionalism from smartly dressed and knowledgable staff. Nothing was too much trouble, and the choices were mouth watering.... as two ladies who love fine dining we found the portion sizes more than enough, in fact we shared a veg platter for our main courses and still didn't clear it! The starters were just that, a teaser for the following course, whets the appetite without spoiling it for the full sized main. Beautifully presented, flavoursome food, with an excellent choice of wine, including handy tips in each menu section for accompanying wines for certain dishes. The restaurant creates itimacy in a large space through the clever laying of modesty screens throughout the restaurant.....I can honestly say we felt like we were the most important people in that restaurant, and at the end of our meal we moved to a quiet lounge to sup on the remaining wine and settled our bill from there, rather than in the restaurant. We even received a selection of sweets (as in mini cupcakes/truffles) with our final hot drink, these were complimentary and a wonderful finish to the night. I recommend this restaurant fo couples and friends to enjoy being pampered and spoil your tastebuds.

Camborne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must!”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I took my best friend for her birthday - from the moment we arrived, we loved:
the attentiveness of the staff;
the complimentary appetisers;
the portions were just right - almost too much with side orders;
great wine list;
unexpected sweet selection with coffee.
Can't wait to go back!

London, United Kingdom
“Popped in for lunch - not disappointed”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Popped in for lunch and had the set menu - very good value and didn't leave hungry or dissappointed by the quality - nice venue with nice views

1 Thank ehc1965
Helston, United Kingdom
“The place to go if you are not very hungry & want to spend a lot of money!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is the place for you if you re not very hungry & want to spend a lot of money. I found the food to be very rich with a lot of strong flavours going on. The portions were tiny, especially the amount of meat in the main courses. The staff were very attentive, in my opinion overly so..
On the night we attended there was also a wedding party taking place in the same room as the diners but behind a screen partition. This did get pretty noisy as the evening went on. I feel that we should have been informed of this when booking, we were not.
To sum up if you enjoy over attentive staff & over priced pretentious food then you will probably enjoy an evening at The Bay.

• Visited November 2012
Kehribar, Owner at The Bay Restaurant, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
As your review suggests, what we are known for doing here does not seem to suit you. I'm so very sorry about that, though a bit mystified about why, as a local, you booked. Our service and menu style is not to everyone's taste, but is well known. For the majority of our guests, our fixed price three course dinner, styled to take your tastebuds from apetiser through to petits fours before you are replete, and not designed to fill you up with one course,suits them. They enjoy attentive service for a special occasion and the occasional weekend lively atmosphere.
On the evening in question we had a small wedding supper party of 26 dining at 5.30pm. Being sensitive to the possible conflict this might cause, the restaurant was screened and closed to other later bookings until 7pm and they departed as arranged by 7.30pm when later tables were being escorted to their tables. I'm not sure at what time you arrived, but I'm unaware of any other diners being inconvenienced by their presence.