“Lovely food and great atmosphere”
Review of The Boathouse

The Boathouse
Ranked #41 of 253 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A lovely restaurant right in the harbour. The food is really fresh and the children were fascinated to see the crabs being collected from the seawater pools outside to be cooked.

The staff were helpful when I checked the ingredients of the dish ordered as there are some shellfish I can not eat. The children's menu was limited to tomato pasta or fish and chips. This was a bit of a shame as I think it was a good opportunity to try something new. However, I didn't ask if they could have smaller versions of the main dishes as they both seemed happy so this may be worth asking on a future visit.

The style and atmosphere is very relaxed and suits the setting perfectly. The staff could have been more communicative, not everyone is a seafood expert and had they offered to talk me through the menu I may have been tempted to try something new. However, the crab/lobster pasta dish was delicious.

Cost £56 for two mains, two children's mains, sides of salad, chips and one bottle of house wine.

Worth noting the lifeboat station is next door and they were happy to show my daughter and me round whilst waiting for our foods which was an extra bonus.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

During the coldest Easter on record, I wasn't surprised that we didn't need to book the harbour-side Boathouse in Torquay. I'm glad we did though because I wouldn't have missed this relaxed, friendly gem of a seafood restaurant for the world. Where else could you order lobster thermidore, moules marinieres, top notch seafood pasta and a ludicrously tasty roast pork all washed down with a stunning bottle of Fleurie and still get change from £100.00? Whatever it wants to call itself, it's well worth a visit.

1  Thank Kadee_B
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Easter sunday and the place is full, glad we booked. Great bottle of fleurie, attentive, helpful staff, really lovely food and those great views. Don't get confused, you may see this referred to as Finns or the Old Harbour ...

Reviewed March 15, 2013

You cannot visit a harbour town without going to a fish restaurant and this one is superb!
We had harbour chowder that is enough to rival fishermans wharf of San Francisco and Cornish scallops full of flavour to start.
Main was a Fruits de la Mer platter to share between 2. What gorgeous flavours and absolute freshness. By far the best I've tasted - enough to rival any celebrity chef.
Overlooking the harbour itself provides a pleasant backdrop and the informal relaxed atmosphere is far better than those bistros who try too hard.
Perfect. Thank you to the team who run, cook & serve delicious food.

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant on the whole is good, food is of good quality and reasonable price. Ambience is good though it was a bit cold on the night we visited and some of the chairs were a big upright.

There's not much choice really if you do not like crab or lobster, could do with more choice of fish, but this may be a winter menu. The crab and lobster we had was good.

Drink choice was good.

Entrance from the road could do with a little bit of TLC.

Would return if in Newquay.