“The ultimate break”

Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on 29th and 30th Dec 2013. It was our 1st visit to this hotel.
We booked an inclusive deal which included a balcony sea view room, (room 315) a full body massage in the spa treatment area, 3 course a la carte evening meal and breakfast.
The staff at the check in desk set the standard for customer care and this exceptionally high standard was maintained by all staff in all areas of the hotel. Without a single exception, ALL staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble and always with a smile.

Room was modern, very well equipped and immaculately clean. ( with an amazing view of Fistral beach ) - Then we set off for our spa massage treatment where we were met by some of the spa team who were once again fabulously accommodating, they explained the procedure fully to us and led us to the relaxation area prior to our massage treatment - this once again was carried out by extremely friendly, caring and professional staff where my wife and I enjoyed a fantastically relaxing treatment.
Next up was our evening meal, where the friendly, helpful and attentive staff theme continued, food was top notch, all courses were cooked and / or presented to an exceptionally high standard and with the setting of the wonderful view of Fistral beach from all tables the experience was absolutely fabulous.

We then enjoyed a few drinks in the lounge bar area, once again "that view" dominated, and the staff as always were extremely friendly and accommodating.
Breakfast once again was faultless ( attentive and friendly staff) generous choice of continental breakfast foods, fruits, yoghurts, fruit juices etc and a very impressive cooked menu.
Words are hard to find that adequately describe our overall experience of our 1st visit to this hotel.
There was only one negative - that our break had to end !!!
Thank you Fistral Bay Hotel and staff for a truly memorable break -- we will return.

• Stayed: December 2013
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear Kevandjue

Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed staying with us so much. I hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future, just remember to let us know you have stayed before as you are now part of our loyalty scheme. This entitles you to lots of special offers and discounts.

Becky Higginson (General Manager) and The Team at Fistral Beach Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,040)

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I wanted to book my husband a special night for his 40th birthday and after LOTS of looking around at reviews of other local hotels I chose Fistral Beach Hotel & Spa. Even though I didn't know anyone who had been here, and therefore I was a little apprehensive, we weren't disappointed at all! The staff were very attentive and friendly from the first moment I contacted them - even before I had actually booked my spa package with them! They were lovely & very accommodating from start to finish! Once we arrived, we actually felt like we were welcomed guests in the hotel and not just strangers who happened to be staying there - all employee's smiled and said hello to us as they were passing, even if we weren't asking for their help. Attention given to us in the restaurant was impossible to fault and the food was amazing. Our lovely, spacious, up to date sea-view room came as part of our package (and a very good package it was too!) and the spa treatments we had (included in our deal) were relaxing & attentive as the rest of our stay.
I loved the hotel and can't fault any of it, but if I had a wish list, it would be for the hotel to build an underground car park so that the sea view is uninterrupted when you sit in the restaurant in the daytime. This is not a criticism at all, just a future wish if ever there was loads of money 'spare' one day. Thank you to all of the staff for helping us have such a lovely stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear sarahs0uthc0ast

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with others on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you choose to spend such a special occasion with us. I agree the idea of an underground car park would be amazing and perhaps we will consider it when we have some 'spare money'. I hope that you will re visit us soon even if it is not to stay you can come a visit the spa for the day.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Booked two economy rooms last minute at weekend, the rooms were excellent quality but obviously didn't have the sea views. However, the views from the bar are exceptional and this was a perfect place to watch the waves crashing onto the beach below. Bar staff were lovely and the food in the bar was great value Emily served us and was very friendly and chatty. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful particularly Hannah. I had an ESPA facial in the spa which was amazing such a lovely therapist and really relaxing. The pool and jacuzzi were great and we will be returning again...well done Fistral Beach

Room Tip: Economy rooms are great value but look out over the back of the hotel roof
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Pollytub

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your last minute get away. Emily is a valued member of our team and i will make sure your comments are passed onto her.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We spent 3 lovely days in this hotel, service was great and the facilities are second to none, try and get a sea view room you wont be disappointed they overlook the beach and the surfers.... Cracking Place

Room Tip: Sea View room a must
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear John S

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed yourselves so much, i will agree with you the sea view is a must! I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back i the near future.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic day from start to end!
Staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating.
The therapists we had for our treatments were fab and the treatments themselves were amazing- left us totally chilled.
A lovely afternoon then spent in the pool area, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi.
The only thing I could say was that the changing area was a bit small and got very hot which would have been more of a problem if more people were in there at the same time.
Overall a fantastic day, would definitely recommend this spa and we'll be back again in the future!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank CDUTT

Dear CDUTT

Thank you for taking the time to review our spa, It is lovely to read that you enjoyed your spa day so much and we cant wait to welcome you back for another day of relaxing and pampering.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

A lovely setting, great venue, helpful staff and the perfect locations for couples to get some space and enjoy the beautiful scenes of north Cornwall!!!

We will be going back next year to enjoy this all over again! :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Dear Mead81

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I feel a bit guilty, seeing as there are so many good reviews for this place. So I'll start off on a positive note. The location is excellent. You couldn't hope to find a hotel with better views of the coastlines (unless you stay in all the other hotels on the same road). The staff are really friendly too. I was impressed that they give you 10 minutes after getting into your room before they call you to find out whether the room is to your liking. Which it was. But I hadn't looked out of the window at that point. Nor had I tried to get to sleep on the rock hard pillows.

The bathroom was huge and they really have made it look good, but there was no air conditioning so I should have guessed what was to come when I noticed the window was open. In December?

The view from my room was of the car park, the room was hot all night and the bloody seagulls woke me up at the crack of dawn because of the windows being open. I went down for breakfast and at £12 you would expect a bit more. I didn't even get butter brought out for my toast.

So, with so few people staying in the hotel at the time, given it was a midweek in December, why couldn't they have kept me in sea view room? Surely it makes sense to keep your customers happy, especially as it was at no extra cost. I did mention to reception at check out that it was very warm in my room. The response I got was I should have called down for a fan. I didn't want a fan keeping me awake as well! And if they knew the rooms were warm (by leaving window open) why wasn't there a fan in the room anyway?

The beds were not particularly comfortable either, and I have had better nights sleep in a Premier Inn. And better breakfasts'. Don't get me wrong, the hotel looks great and the staff are great. Just the core things that you want from a hotel like a good nights sleep and a good breakfast was where they lacked. It's doubtful I will stay again if I am in town on business. I travel to a lot of places in the UK and across Europe and I can honestly say it was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in a hotel given it's setting, it's look and it's star rating. It's 2 stars I'm afraid. One for the views (from the bar) and one for the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Churmie
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Chirmie

Thank you for your review, firstly I would like to apologise for not living up to your expectations.

We do try to upgrade as many of our guests as possible, I am sorry that we were not able to do this for you on this occasions.

I am sorry that you were disappointed the quality of the breakfast. Our breakfast scores extremely highly based on the quality of the produce from the local supplies and the Varity of options that we have. I would be very interested in receiving more feedback regarding this in order to establish what areas you were not happy with.

All of the beds throughout the hotel are hypnos beds. Hypnos are renowned for there award winning beds and our bed of choice through out large chain hotels and luxury independent hotels across the world. All of our beds were replaced at the beginning of the year as part of the refurbishment. We appreciate however that everyone has different taste when it comes the firmness of the Mattress and we encourage our guests to let us know if it is not to their liking as we have extra thick Mattress toppers which we can provide on request.

I am pleased however to read that you were well looked after by the staff and that you appreciated the view from the public areas.

I would be interested in speaking with you in further detail regarding the points that you have raised, please contact me directly on manager@fistralbeachhotel.co.uk if you are happy to do so.

Becky Higginson (General Manager) and The Team at Fistral Beach Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Atlantic Hotel
#10 of 37 in Newquay
St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay

Been to Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!