“Service with a smile”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Service with a smile”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Excellent location on the south side of Fistral Beach, great views, easy walks around the headland, and a 20 mins stroll into town. Although Newquay it not really worth much of a visit, looking quite tired these days, and there are much better places to visit in Cornwall, Fistral Beach Hotel is worth a visit, and a good base to tour Cornwall from.
The Spa was pleasant, the quiet room in the Spa was particularly lovely for some R+R, and the restaurant food was very good quality and imaginative menu...much better than anything in the town... but not much choice for children.
The bedrooms were tastefully furnished, a good size, as was the bathroom, and the view (if you have a sea view room) is fantastic. Well worth the extra money, to sit on your balcony and watch the surfers below.
Staff deserve a particular mention, so many places you feel like just another customer, but here everyone is cheerful, wants to chat a little about your day, and service is always with a smile. Well done to all!
Parking can be an issue at times, through the week seems ok, plenty of space in the car park and on the road, but weekends would be difficult, so I would recommend reserving a space then.

1 Thank diz023
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Diz023

Thank you for your lovely review and your kind comments regarding the staff have been passed on to them all. Thank you for your feedback regarding a children's menu we will take your feedback on board and see if there are any improvements that we can make.

Becky Higginson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights 8/9 June. We stayed in Room 1. It had a fantastic view of Fistral Beach. We were on a DBB deal and all the meals were excellent. The room was nicely decorated. One small problem is that the blind is a few inches shorter than the window, which let light in early in the morning. We managed to block the gap with the scatter cushions provided. We were a bit concerned that the room is right next to the bar but it was not a problem at all. The swimming pool is of a good size for a hotel and it has a Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Robes and slippers are provided in the rooms. The hotel is in an ideal position for exploring Cornwall, we visited the Eden Project whilst we stayed there.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hurrayhols
Dear Hurryhols

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologise regarding the blinds I can assure you that this has now been address and is no longer the case. I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

UK
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a really lovely hotel with a fantastic spa attached to it. It's set away from Newquay itself and is in a quiet location, but with the beautiful Fistral beach on your door-step.

We stayed for the one night Refresh spa break, which included a 25 min treatment, 3 course dinner and breakfast the next day.

The Bay bar is really nicely decorated with amazing views out to sea, the same views can be seen from the restaurant.

The food was really good too and brilliant value for money.

We upgraded to a sea view room for an extra £10.00 which was a bargain and really worth it. It was so nice to look out to sea when in bed and wake up to a great view. We decided to have our breakfast in our room for an £8 charge and was nice to sit at the table looking out to sea and watching the surfers.

The room was large and furnished to a high standard. The bathroom had a large deep bath and there was a seperate rainbow shower which was big also.

The staff were very nice and friendly, always saying hello and asking how you are and if your having a nice stay.

Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing break.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank charliechunk
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Charliechunk,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views of The Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa with other travellers and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully you will return to us one day soon.

Henley on Thames
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed at the hotels n my own as I was visiting family in the area but wanted my own space. The hotel did not disappoint. The staff were extremely polite and friendly and always helpful and happy to go that extra mile. The room was lovely. I had a room on the 3rd floor with balcony and stunning 180 degree views of the sea and beach. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom to die for with free standing bath, 2 washbasins and a shower cubicle my whole family could have fitted into.
Apart from breakfast which was nicely cooked and the restaurant has good views of the coast, I did not experience the lunch or dinner menu so unable to comment, as I ate out with my family.
All in all a very pleasant stay and would definitely go back there and recommend it.

Room Tip: Best room are on the third floor with balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ruby2HenleyonThames
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Ruby2HenleyonThames, Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. If you are ever looking to return just remember your 10% loyalty discount.

Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here on 11 July for three nights on the basis that the hotel had fairly good reviews and the weather forecast was good. We paid extra for a sea-view room and were given a third floor room with a balcony. The view from our balcony over Fistral Beach was fantastic. Sometimes you would see a great expanse of sandy beach, another time you would see the high tide. On our first night we had dinner at the hotel. The food was excellent and good value for money. A slight criticism would be the waiting staff. They are pleasant some were a bit unprofessional, slow in taking your drinks and food orders and we had to ask for bread and they said we were lucky as there were only two rolls left! The same pattern happened at breakfast. Guests wait to be seated and then waiters/waitresses take an order for tea/coffee and a cooked breakfast. Cold continental style breakfast is served buffet style. There appeared to be no organisation between the staff as to who served who which resulted in quite a long wait for service. However when the food arrived it was excellent. I had fish and poached eggs. The staff were also slow to replenish the buffet. Again I had to ask for bread. Please don't be put off by this slight criticism as it is a lovely hotel and would appeal to clients of all ages.

2 Thank redsmudgy
Dear Redsmudgy

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us. All feedback is highly valued and I can assure you that we will be looking into your comments regarding the restaurant service and seeing if there is anything that we can do to improve upon it for the future. I am pleased that you still had a lovely time with us and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here during July heatwave for 2 nights. Paid a bit extra for sea view, and it was stunning - could have sat all day looking out to Fistral Beach. Neighbours without a view found their rooms stuffy, but ours was well aired and we are not fond of air con anyway.
Spa and pool were excellent (pool overheated but hey, it was extremely hot for England!)
Recently updated laid-back décor, helpful staff. Loved the outside terrace (if a bit small).
Limited parking, but can park on road, we had no problems.
Would definitely go again. We`re not surfers (silver surfers actually) but fun to watch those who do. Nice little snack shack at top of beach (hotel end).
Go on the parallel back road to Pentire Headland and admire the stunning views from there.

Room Tip: Sea view of course! This is Fistral, Cornwall!!!!
2 Thank Diggy-Dum
Dear Diggy-Dum

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had a lovely time with us and I will agree the view is stunning, even after many years the view does not get boring (I am not a surfer either) I hope that we will be able to welcome you back shortly and remember you are now part of our loyalty club so will receive 10% discount if you book directly with us.

norwich
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as a getaway for my boyfriends birthday via a deal from secret escapes. It was a fantastic stay, the hotel itself sits above the Fistral Beach & access to the beach is only 5 minute walk along the top & down some steps.
We had a sea view room which was worth extra money - the views of the beach were amazing. It was really hot when we went & our only criticism would have been that there was no air con nor a fridge. To be honest with the windows open & the sea breeze it was fine anyway but it would have been nice to have a fridge to keep our drinks cool.
The bathroom was lovely & clean and the shower really nice & powerful although we have to agree with some other reviewers that our shower also switched between hot & cool but it wasnt a big deal as it was quite nice to cool down in the evening!

The restaurant was amazing - the room itself is decorated in such a lovely way that it feels really bright & open yet cosy in the evening for dinner. We had a 3 course dinner included in our deal which we took advantage of on 2 of the 3 nights we were there, we dont usually eat in hotels as I am a vegetarian & often struggle to find things to have on al a carte menus, although there wasnt a vast veggie choice I didnt struggle too much to find something & it prompted me to try new things I wouldnt necessarily have had before & I'm glad I did as it was amazing food - the desserts were incredible!
Breakfast was also a brilliant choice of food & we loved the hot food was cooked to order which you rarely get nowadays.

The staff were brilliant & helpful all the time, we ate lunch in the bay bar one day & had drinks there in the evening & found the staff in the bar to be very helpful & friendly. There are board games to keep you entertained aswell which was a nice touch!

We had a massage in the spa on one of the days which was also fantastic - we didnt use the other spa facilites but they looked really nice.

We didnt have any issues with car parking & although it was the start of the summer holidays we found the parking to be no problem at all.

I'm really glad we chose this hotel - everything about it was lovely, the refurbished rooms are so clean & bright and the restaurant food brilliant. If we come back to Newquay we would definitely choose to stay here. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Definitely choose a sea view room - any extra cost is worth the view.
1 Thank devilrach
Dear Devilrach

Thank you for your lovely review. I am glad we could be a part of your partners Birthday celebrations and help to make it a special occasion. As you have mentioned the car parking is limited, we have 15 reserved bays which people can book out at £10 per day and then a further 25 bays which are on a first come first serve basis, there is however plenty of on road parking out the front of the hotel which is free of charge and there are no restrictions. Its lovely to read that you thought highly of our newly refurbished rooms, (we all love them as well). I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Becky Higginson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
#12 of 38 in Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!