“Ideal location, great view, good room”
Review of Carnmarth Hotel

Carnmarth Hotel
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed at the Carnmarth for 2 nights as part of a Stag do. We weren't your usual bunch of stag do idiots so were looking for a good standard of hotel which the Carnmarth really did prove to be.
Staff were friendly, organised and would happily share some banter with the group. The rooms, although small and fairly simple were bright, clean, comfortable and perfect for a weekend stay. At night the hotel was quiet and the porter was prompt at opening up and friendly enough to ask about the groups night out.
Breakfast was good and prompt and they didn't mind a few cheeky members of the group asking for a few extras on the full english, especially the Stag!
Overall the Carnmarth worked great for us and I would be more than happy to stay again whether as part of a group or with my wife.

Room Tip: If you want a good view ask for a room facing Fistral!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Carnmarth Hotel

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were strolling by from nearby Fistral Beach when we had our evening meal at the Carn Marth restaurant. The food was simply out of this world. Pork chops, crab linguine and curry, all wrapped up with the best brownie we ever had. Even our usually fussy kids over ate. Hope it would still be there for our visit next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The hotel has superb views from every room. We travelled with lots of family for a wedding at the hotel. Our room was beautifully decorated with a stunning feature wall, as did the other 3 rooms I looked in. The only downside is that the baths are quite small, so you can't have a relaxing soak after a day on the beach, however the showers are great. The rooms on the 2nd floor are in the roof line so watch your head.

All of the staff are very friendly and recommended family friendly places to eat in newquay. Breakfast has a good selection of fresh fruit and cereals and the cooked Cornish breakfast was very good.

Fistral beach is a short stroll from the hotel and the views from the hotel terrace over the golf course and beach are stunning. Its only a 10minute walk into the town centre and we were given a parking permit for the car park around the back of the hotel.

I would definately stay here again if we get chance to go back to newquay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, both sides have great views, but the front view of the gol...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Shortly after entering this hotel based restuarant establishment, I dropped by a friends house and was offered a spoonful of homemade Bolognese. This miniscule taster provided me with more pleasure than my entire dining experience at the Carnmath restuarant. Enough said. But, I will elaborate thusly:

Upon entering this well established environment, me and my family members were welcomed with a relaxed atmosphere and a friendly waitress. The menu boasted a variety of dishes (mainly seafood based). The menu seemed to embrace a great deal more variation than most run-of-the-mill Newquay based restuarants...this was indeed a fetching prospect! So - I went ahead and ordered the burger at the modist price of ten english pounds, which was about the right price for that sort of thing. However, no form of pessemistic - culinary anticipation could have prepared me and my present family members, for what was to be placed infront of my very person. Yeah ok - one shouldn't judge a book by its cover....but should one judge a burger by its greasy, cheese encased bap?? Not to mention the undercooked chips. And as for the burger, it was a similar experience to ingesting a sand castle that had been left to dry in baking hot sun for upwards of an hour, before being lathered in salty sea water. It definitely wasn't beef. Perhaps it was milled Pygmyshrew?

Food aside the staff seemed lovely....all apart from 'Stefan' - The waiter who scowled at us throughout the entire dining experience, made us feel uncomfortable and on top of that made us feel bad for asking for an extra dollop of mayonnaise.

So to sum it up, what does Carnmath have to offer? - 'Service with a smile'?.....or - 'mayonaise with a scowl'?

Who knows! Thanks to the lovely waitress who served us though!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Carnmarth is a fabulous hotel with friendly welcoming staff, and beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable rooms. We also had an evening meal in the hotel and the food was excellent. The view from our room was fantastic, overlooking both the golf course and fistral beach. Stay here! you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went to this hotel as a solo traveller ,in May 2013 , as other members of my party were in an alternate hotel along the road . Single room was hardly spacious but was clean , tidy and more than appropriate for my needs - a place to rest while enjoying an adventurous weekend . Views really are spectacular and it's well worth a 5 minute stroll after breakfast just to take in the magnificence of the beach , the bay and the surroundings .
My falling asleep with the tv on proved too much for the guests next door and they awoke me from my reverie - obviously the soundproofing either isn't up to much (or the other guests lived in a library because the tv was set below the level preset by the hotel ) . Staff were fun and welcoming even though the "C-bar" (geddit?) was always empty on my late return . Breakfast was not a belly-buster but again utterly appropriate for my needs .
The staff more than made up for the intolerance of other guests and I'd definitely stay here again .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Conti1964
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Six of us stayed here for the Easter holiday. What a lovely hotel, clean, lovely helpful staff. Amazing breakfast servied piping hot. Extra coffee, tea and toast no problem. Was a lot of diffrent age groups staying. There was a wedding on the Saturday and the noise from the band was a bit loud but hey hoo it was Saturday night!! The views were magnificent. We were in Room 11 and talk about a 360 degree - visual of Fistral Bay, the Golf Course and the spires of the town all from our room. The walk to the town is about 10 minutes with small shops and cafes on the way down the road. There is a large Sainsburys where you can get your fav wine from! No problem getting a filled ice bucket from the bar.

All in all would recommend the hotel to you and the town itself is lovely (this my first visit to Newquay and Cornwall) - although like other British seaside resorts it's a little bit tired they have not given up. Lovely welcome where every you go and cornish pasties galore! We wil be back!

Room Tip: Ask for one at the front of the hotel (for the view) on the second floor not above the function room...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends