“As usual”

Bay Beresford Hotel
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is standard for a shearings hotel, rooms and food good, entertainment gets a little monotonous at times but overall a good weeks stay. One real downside for us was that the lift to our side of the hotel was out of order for most of our stay, when your on the top floor this is quite a climb on saying that we proberly shall return some time in the future as you really do get what you pay for and this hotel is good value for money

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ivan R
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2014

Hi Ivan

Thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor, and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The lift has been a problem and I know that this causes inconvenience to you. We are now in the process of renewing this lift, and whilst this may take some time, it will definitely be worth it. In the meantime, the lift on the dining room side of the hotel is new and working well!

Bay Hotels do try and all meet the same standard, so that if you enjoyed one of our Hotels, you know that you will get a similar welcome at another and this is a re-assurance to many guests who stay with us and use the Company frequently.

If you were looking for something a little bit different why not look at our Coast and Country Hotels, they still have all of the Customer Service standards that you have come to expect, but with extra supplements, such as a la carte menu, longer restaurant opening times, premier rooms etc.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

I'm not sure how many times we have been to the Beresford now but so far we've never had a bad experience and this time was no exception.

We realise that the hotel is large and old and endlessly undergoing refurbishment but so far that hasn't spoil our enjoyment of what is a traditional seaside hotel in a stunning location. Our sea view room – and you should pay the extra – has been refurbished and was, despite our best efforts with wetsuits and sand, kept spotlessly clean by Bev with towels changed when requested and the two minor niggles with the bathroom sorted out quickly.

The staff are brilliant and nothing seems too much effort for anybody although asking for a pot of hot water and separate tea bags had the Spanish waiting staff completely confused to the point that we gave up trying in the end and brought our own bags from our room instead!

The food is good and with enough choice for most, although if you want the ‘special of the day’ I’d advise getting down to eat early as it seemed to go quite quickly. The four drinks vouchers each per day were more than enough for us especially with the optional upgrades that were available.

Paying for parking at the hotel is advisable especially in high season and £5.00 compares favourably with other local car parks. The car park next door now charges £10.00 per day!

The side wall of the hotel could do with some repair work as it looks a little off-putting to those arriving for the first time as it’s covered with black plastic which is now ripped and looking past its best. A job for the autumn maybe Jackie?

The clientèle isn't all ‘pensioners on coach trips’ (although there are a lot of those) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel if you have young children as well. The location, over the road from a family friendly sandy beach, can’t be faulted. Newquay town centre is a 10 - 15 minute walk away with all it has to offer in terms of shops, bars and beaches.

Now to the only reason I’m not giving the hotel a 5 star rating and it’s purely a personal thing and a cause of disagreement between my husband and me! We were put in the ‘conservatory’ dining area which used a few years back to be a nice seating area and has now been given over to dining. I didn’t like it last year and I still don’t, although my husband does – so horses for courses I think. The reasons I don’t like it are (1) when the sun shines it’s like eating in a greenhouse, far too hot and with a blinding sun in your eyes, (2) at times I feel like I’m a bit on display as the main road into Newquay is right in front of you (3) it’s a long way from the kitchen which meant that some of the meals were not as hot as I would have liked by the time they got to us and finally it has deprived the hotel of a nice seating area to watch the sun go down and people watch.

But that said it wasn't enough of an issue to stop me having a great time and I know we’ll be back again next summer.

Room Tip: Always have a sea view and ask for one with a bay front for added people watching
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2014

Hi Dez

thankyou for your great comments about your stay with us, I am so glad that you keep coming back, that is the greatest compliment that you can pay us.

I agree with you about the sea view rooms, I don't think that there is a better view in the world (not that I am biased) and on a sunny day, with the surfers in the sea and the fishing boats out, it is spectacular.

There is a lot of work going on, and yes, the side wall will be included in this, it has taken so long to deal with the legal side of this, but I am happy to say that it is now all on track. We are also having the reception rooms refurbished this winter, so when you come back you should see a nice change!

I am not sure how you would explain your tea/water issues to our Spanish Staff, next time you come, we will give it a go!

Thank you again for commenting, it was a pleasure to have you at the Hotel and we will see you next year.

Jackie

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I have just returned from a week's stay at the Bay Beresford where I went with my Sister on a Shearings coach holiday. Before I go into a detailed review I must say that, on the whole, we had a wonderful holiday and would recommend the location and the hotel to anyone who doesn't have overly high expectations. I thought the whole package was great value for money considering the transfer, the three included day trips and the 4 free drinks vouchers each evening. However, as almost all previous reviewers have said, the hotel is dated and, if you are not in one of the refurbished rooms, you do have to accept the standard of your room will be basic. We booked two single rooms which were located at the back of the hotel. They were fairly small but we weren't too bothered about that. However, both ours beds sloped to one side (I thought I was going to fall out on more than one occasion) although, to be fair, they were comfortable. I had a very old style television which didn't have a very good picture on some channels and the toilet cistern was covered in an unidentifiable white deposit which looked awful. No toilet roll holder either although the bracket was there. My sister's room was even smaller than mine with only one drawer which wasn't really adequate for a week's stay. The showers, although small, were fine when they worked. Unfortunately, probably because we were right at the end of the hotel, the water pressure was intermittent and, one night, we didn't get any water at all! The toilet cistern made the most terrible noise when filling up and the taps spurted water all over the place occasionally. I think air locks in the system were the problem but, even though I reported the lack of water, I didn't hear if anything had been done so we just made the best of it. I do understand that the refurbishment of all the rooms will take time but think that, for a few pounds, they could make the existing rooms a bit more pleasant. A new carpet, a toilet roll holder and a matching toilet seat (a white one on an avocado suite looked very odd) wouldn't cost that much and would make all the difference to the paying guest. The public rooms were fine though and there was plenty of seating for everyone to enjoy a drink after dinner. On the whole, the food was good but we found it very frustrating not to be able to ever try one of the 'specials'. Dinner was from 6.30 'till 8.00 and we liked to go in around 7.30. Every time we asked for the 'special' we were told it was finished. Obviously we would have needed to go in when the doors opened to ensure we could order whatever 'special' was on offer that evening, which rather negates the option of choosing your own dinner time! Our waiter was lovely and very efficient. A little too efficient on occasions as he did try to clear the table before my sister had even finished eating one night. However, considering how many tables they look after we were very impressed by the service in the restaurant generally. The bar staff were also really good and very friendly. A final 'negative' (and I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this) is why we had to pay a £35 supplement each to occupy a single room? Especially as they haven't yet been refurbished and are at the back of the hotel overlooking the rooftops! I can totally understand paying a single room supplement if a single person occupies a double room (to make up for the lack of income for a double occupancy) but not when a single person occupies a single room. There is no lack of income and one person only eats one person's amount of food. I would love to know how that is justified so would welcome a response to that question. One other thing which really needs to be sorted is the look of the hotel as you drive up to it. The left hand wall was was covered in old black plastic which was hanging off in part. It looked so scruffy and, quite frankly, I would have kept on driving if I had been an independent traveller. All that said, I will reiterate that we had a lovely holiday and could not fault Shearing's organisation, both with the journeys to and from Newquay and the day trips. The location of the hotel is fantastic, the staff were wonderful and the sun shone. We made some great friends and had a lot of laughs. I even won at Bingo!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Hi

thank you for taking the time to write a very comprehensive comment on your stay with us, and I am glad that you both enjoyed your holiday, despite certain reservations on some of our facilities at the Hotel.

We are a typical seaside hotel, built at the turn of the last century and Shearings have invested heavily to ensure that the Hotel meets todays quickly changing holiday market, but this does take time and, whilst all of our rooms reach a good 2 star standard, we are aspiring to bring every room to the same level, which is a good 3 star standard.

I hope that you take the time to look at some of our other Hotels, possibly the Coast and Country section would be of interest to you, with upgraded rooms.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I've just spent a 8 days holiday on a coach trip with Shearings in the Beresford Hotel. Overall my impression was great, as when we arrived at the hotel the manager jackie came onto the coach and told us the times for the meals and herself and reception staff were always willing to help if you had any questions about anything, the location of the hotel was within close proximity of the sea, the amenities were only 2 mins walk from hotel. My allocated room 51 was clean warm and comfortable. Very good choice of meals which were well presented and hot. The 4 free drinks voucher was generous and all the bar staff were really friendly. The waitress Laura was always welcoming and smiling and she was always willing to accommodate with what you asked for. The included and extra excursions were enjoyable days out and our tour driver chris was brilliant and his knowledge of the area was excellent he really entertained us and was always putting his passengers first and was willing to do anything for us. I would definately recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank emmawP4679OR

Hi Emma

Thank you for your great comments about the Beresford Hotel and its staff, you obviously enjoyed yourself and we enjoyed having you to stay.

The Bay Inclusive Package is such a good idea, guests really appreciate the drinks vouchers that they can use all day.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Went with Shearings for the first time. Our driver to resort and excursions was Chris. He is excellent both as a driver and tour guide and takes great care looking after his passengers.
The rooms are a little dated and the showers are too. The breakfasts were good, the evening meals were just edible. Having made some negative comments I must add the whole holiday was organised to perfection. The cost of the holiday was exceptional when you have the added benefit of 3 excursions included in the price and 4 drinks per person per day. The staff in the hotel were polite and helpful. We had a very pleasant and attentive waiter at mealtimes. Well done to the organisers for a value for money holiday.

• Stayed: August 2014

Hi Elaine

Thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor about your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed the excursions and the whole Bay Inclusive Package.

I was sorry that you were not so impressed with the evening meals, this is a comment I don't often see, Phil, our Head Chef, works so hard to deliver well cooked and well presented food to 200 guests in such a short time, and generally he succeeds.

I hope that we see you again in Newquay.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were on Shearings coach holiday (26/07/2014 to 2/08/2014). Mix up with the room, 2 couples given the same room. This was soon sorted. Our room was clean and tidy (206) but décor in serious need of refurbishment. The bathroom was dire, the shower cubicle was very small especially when you had to keep the curtain inside the cubicle. The biggest downside was the fact the lift on the side of the hotel we were in was not working and had not been for some time. You could not use the other lift as it did not connect with our side of the hotel. We were lucky in the fact that we were on the 2nd floor. We did not ask for a low floor, even though my wife has a slight heart complaint, as the hotel advertises a lift and we thought this would be ok. We managed this time only just. That's was the down side now for the upside. The food was very good with plenty of choice,The staff were tremendous. Bar staff quick and efficient. Dining room staff equally quick and efficient, we were on table 9 and the waiter we had most of the week was Paul who was the most obliging young man who certainly knew his job.

Room Tip: make sure both lifts are working. Sea view a must, as there is a chance of a lovely sunset over the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 968peter

Hi Peter

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Beresford Hotel, I was pleased that you enjoyed the food and the service that you received.

Shearings have a robust refurbishment programme in place, and we are due to have further rooms and public areas completed in the New Year, but we have 103 letting bedrooms, extensive corridors and public areas, and this all takes time.

One of our lifts was out of order for 10 days, and I understand how inconvenient this was to some of our lesser able guests, and although we tried to ensure that those who needed it were on a low floor, or near the other lift, obviously some guests were effected. Both lifts are now in full operation.

Why don't you look at some of our Coast and Country Hotels, they are in fantastic locations and offer many supplements, such as premier and superior rooms, but with similar standards of customer service.

Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Had an excellent 3 night holiday. The food was superb & Im really fussy! The 4 free drinks allocation was generous & staff were really friendly. Only downside the lift wasn't working & hadn't been for some time & it was really difficult for myself & husband to climb the stairs but the hotel offered porters which helped with our cases.

• Stayed: August 2014

Hi

thanks for your great comments on trip advisor.

The Bay inclusive deal is a very good one, and the drinks vouchers are so popular.

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and will make sure that Phil, our Chef, sees your review.

One of the lifts being out of action for 10 days was difficult for some of our guests, we did try to minimise this by ensuring that we allocated low floor rooms where necessary, but we were pleased when they fitted the new part.

Hope to see you again soon