“really enjoyed our stay”

Bay Beresford Hotel
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed March 19, 2014

had a 5 day break with shearings stayed in room 19 recently refurbished nice clean comfortable room.food was good and plenty of it.really enjoyed the entertainment and with 4 free drinks a day the holiday was excellent value for what we paid.excellent location and we loved exploring all the beaches.we would go back again .

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon H
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Hi Sharon

Thank you for your comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed Newquay and the Beresford Hotel.

As you found, the beaches are fantastic and I am sure you would enjoy coming back to see us and discovering more of our lovely area.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Back fro weekend at the Beresford Shearings trip.Hotel faces the beach but over 100 steps to get down to the beach 5 minute walk into Town 20 minute walk to the beaches of Porth and Lusty Bay,Newquay town itself in my opinion not even worth a visit the town is just full of run down bars packed with stag and hen parties very few shops the main building on the front is a massive Australian bar with side walls covered in graffiti,
However away from Newquay very pretty bays ,walks ,Watergate bay is only 4 miles away well worth a visit .
Finally the Hotel itself very dated like a scene from miss Marple set rooms tired staff seemed disalusioned as if they know something is about to change,however for the price charged it is fair value for the money,food very basic and small portions,bar prices expensive ,rooms were clean.

Room Tip: pay for sea view
1  Thank wetherby12

Hi

I am sorry that Newquay wasn't the destination for you.

Why not have a look at our Coast and Country Hotels, they offer a high level of comfort and surroundings in amazing locations. These hotels have premier and superior rooms and a la carte menus.

Thankyou for taking the time to comment on trip advisor

kind regards

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Another visit to the Beresford, where Jackie and her team looked after us again. Having read some of the negative reviews, I can only say don't pay budget prices and expect 5* quality. The hotel is basic, and in need of some maintenance, and it's nice to see they are upgrading the lift. For the price paid, the food is very good, the staff try their upmost to give you a good time and both times I have been recently, I cannot fault their service. It,s a good base to tour from, close to the Eden project, St Ives, St Michaels Mount, Port Isaac (Doc Martin fame) and Padstow and many others

Room Tip: Get an upgrade room with sea view
1  Thank SagaloutsTour

Hi

Thanks for the great review, although the best compliment you can pay us is to return to the Hotel, like you have.

The refurbishment is all in progress, and the new lift ready to go on Tuesday! The new bedrooms are looking great, and plans are already in progress for 2015.

Shearings do offer great value for money and I do believe the Beresford Hotel offers a degree of comfort and service that most guests appreciate. I think we will always be a traditional seaside Hotel and this is still what most of our guests come here for.

Thanks again for appreciating the Hotel and its staff, we really do love listening to your comments.

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I booked for my Husband and I to stay here through laterooms.com.
The hotel had several bad reviews but I booked anyway.
On arrival there was absolutely nobody to be found, rang the bell and waited for 20 minutes before my husband went off to find a member of staff. When he came back there was absolutely no apology which I found poor.
There were people sat watching football in the reception area who said they hadnt seen the bar tender or any other staff member for over an hour, they were all waiting for drinks etc.
I found the member of staff quite rude he said he had no record of the booking. We left to find somewhere else to stay and then got a phone call saying the booking had now been found and if we didnt stay there they would still charge my card the full amount!
Room very dated bathroom had no hot water either.
In the morning we went to breakfast in the hotel. None of the many waitresses stood around bothered to greet us. Sat at an empty table, waitress watched us waited until we got a drink etc and then rudely demanded we move seats as someone else was wanting to sit there!! Can only assume they tipped well as no reserved sign and an elderly couple waltzed in after we had finished to sit there. If breakfast wasnt included I definately wouldn't have paid for it!
All in all terrible experience terrible customer service and can truly say the worst place ive ever stayed.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank LoveSunInEngland
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Hi

How sorry I was to read your comments on trip advisor, we do get guests who were looking for something different and are therefore not completely satisfied, but I have never seen a review that says our staff are rude and unhelpful.
Your comments have been thoroughly investigated and I can see that there were shortcomings on our side. When you arrived on Saturday morning, there was a major rugby match on tv, and many guests chose not to go on their scheduled coach trip, but to stay in enjoy the match. Unfortunately, we were unaware of this when sorting the rotas and had just one person on duty to cover the bar, coffee shop and reception, so when you arrived, he was in the kitchen preparing food.
Zolly was unable to find your booking, but was obviously under quite a lot of pressure and maybe this showed. He is a lovely young man, and I have never known anyone find him rude. He asked you to come back at check in time, we did not phone you at any time, and Jason happily checked you in to an upgraded sea view room at 3pm when you returned to the Hotel. During the evening, I understand that Jason, our Duty Manager talked with you and he said that you made no mention of any problems with the water or your room.
At breakfast each guest has a specific table, unfortunately we were not there to greet you at the door and you did sit on another guest's table. They came in and it was then that we had to ask you to move, I am sorry if this was handled badly, I can only assure you that Anya, who you spoke to is unaware that she was anything but polite, she did not want to have to move you and maybe this showed in her manner.
I am convinced that we can change your mind about our Hotel and its staff, I understand from Jason that you are looking to live in the area, and maybe if you are coming down again soon your could contact me, I would love to be able to offer you a room and to retrieve our reputation with you.

01637 873238

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Despite reading a few negative reviews about the Beresford in Newquay we have just been on a 4 day weekend there and it was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful, our room was one of the newly refurbished and was fantastic - lovely comfy bed, great shower/bathroom. The food was excellent - good quality and plenty of it. The entertainment was excellent, very good singers and good fun quizzes. All in all we had a fantastic weekend there and cant fault the staff or hotel at all.

Room Tip: Our room was room 108 and it was very good.
3  Thank lyndag434

Hi Lynda

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

My friends & I have just spent 5 days at the Beresford, it will be a lovely Hotel when it's finished! We each had a bedroom of our own(3) & all the bathrooms were badly in need of updating, I appreciate they are in the process of trying to do this, but my room(bathroom wise) should not have been used for guests, you had to be very strong to turn the taps in the sink just to get a trickle out of the cold tap! The shower changed temperature constantly, without turning the knob, scalding hot at times, lots of pollyfilla used around the bathroom,badly, some painted over, some not, some trying to hide the mould! Also some of the bedroom furniture was broken & the TV was hit/miss & very old. Having said all that, the room was very clean, bedding/towels, general appearance. It was nice to have several sitting areas in the downstairs area, the wifi was a little hit/miss, but at least they had it! The food was basic but good, the entertainment was good, apart from far too much bingo! All the staff were excellent, helpful(especially the young chap behind the bar helping everyone get connected to the wifi!) I would go back again, after they have updated all the rooms. It's in a perfect position to explore Newquay & the surrounding area, & the staff were wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary G
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Hi Mary

Thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor, and I am pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your holiday.

The Beresford is a typical seaside hotel, built over 100 years ago and is constantly being refurbished to suit the modern day guest. Our investment programme is ongoing, but with 103 bedrooms, miles of corridors and an extensive reception area, this is never going to be easy. This year we have had one floor of rooms refurbished and a new lift, and are delighted with the results.

This investment is ongoing throughout Shearings Hotels and I hope that your experience with us will encourage you to book another holiday with us.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

third holiday with shearings in 6 weeks having been to torquay and strathpeffer in feburary and janaury.
what stop this being a 4 star stay was the size of my room.it was the smallest room i have ever had in 10 stays at various hotel on shearings holidays.instead of a chair they was a stool.the hot radiator was against the bed.the good point was that instead of 5 main channel on the tv their was freeview tv of the 5 channels plus the hour later channel.
the food was of very good quality and served quickly.the 4 drink voucher every day was good and a good tour driver.the hotel is a short walk from the town centre.a very good holiday apart from the very small bedroom

Room Tip: room 18 was small
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank forestwood

Hi

Thank you for your comments on trip advisor.

The Beresford is a typical seaside hotel, built at the turn of the last century and there is nothing uniform about it, all of the rooms are different sizes and shapes!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, despite the size of the room, you obviously enjoy travelling with Shearings, and I hope that we see you again in Newquay sometime. There is so much to see in Cornwall, and of course, we have another Bay Hotel in St Ives that is well worth a visit.

General Mananger