“Avoid!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park
Ranked #16 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Newquay
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed at Holywell for four nights in oct 2013 half term. We booked to stay in a Trewan caravan, which was the most expensive. So, we assumed the best?
Apparently not. The caravan was filthy! Kitchen hadn't been cleaned and the lounge seating and dining chair pads were literally black with stains.
Back to reception to complain, and double check we were in the right accommodation. Yes, we were, and yes this was the best caravan on site. Seriously? We sometimes take our dog away with us and have stayed in far superior, cleaner caravans.
Reception said a cleaner would be round shortly to sort any issues. Kitchen got wiped over with a dirty cloth, and she offered to steam clean the soft furnishings but it would take 2 days to dry! Being that we were there just for 4 nights we declined this offer!
As the park was fully booked, we ended up with the cleaner bringing us duvet covers to use as throws for the lounge furniture and pillow cases to cover the dining chairs. Luxury at its best.
Clubhouse far too small, entertainment done every night by the same crew, even though its advertised as having outside people in.
Love ,love, love this area but not this park. Don't go!!!

4  Thank Boo883

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We have stayed at Holywell bay twice in las two years, the park itself is a nice clean friendly family park of small size but with adequate facilities for a family stay.
My wife myself and two children (4 and 2) love this park which is only a short virtually traffic free 10min walk (past a nice pub for food)from the beach which I have to say is one of the best Cornwall has in my opinion, with soft sand, dunes to play in and some great caves and most of all with kids CLEAN.
The park itself is flat and and so is the walk to the beach.
There is a lovely brook that runs past the park which has lots of little Brown Trout for the kids to either watch or try and catch (this can give them hours of entertainment) This meanders down to the bay itself.
The facilities at the park are good for a small park with outdoor pool, with water slide a small hard court play area and two small parks, which are no more that 50yards from any caravan on the site, these have always been clean, and well maintained.
The entertainmet for the kids is good ,and the food is reasonable and not too pricey.
There is also a surfboard hire shop onsite so you can have a go and the rates are pretty reasonable (board £8 per day).
All in all I would reccomend this site for either families that want to spend all their time on the beach, but with the convenience of just a short walk back to base or for families who want beach and plenty of other activties for days out locally, in a clean friendly small sized site away from the big all action parks.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Squidgybearpickle
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This used to be a nice family run park for families, decent services, but it has gone down hill since big business has taken over. The quality of the caravans has gone down hill, the staff are not as friendly as before, but the last straw was a group of teenage girls in the caravan next door celebrating finishing their GCSEs. They got drunk every night but the last night they defecated outside our caravan and several others. this however was not an isolated incident, the bins regularly overflow I have seen several rats round the site and it gets very muddy when wet, something that never used to happen.
The last time we stayed we got into our caravan late, it was not clean, we had to wash the crockery before we could use it, the mattresses were stained and very hard. There was mould in the bathroom, and the toilet needed a good dose of bleach.
The only redeeming feature is that it is set in a conservation area, which means it will not get any bigger, and the National Trust beach. The St Pirans Pub next to the beach is warm and friendly with good quality and value food.
Peak season is extortionately expensive for a caravan. For less money you can get a beach side villa of far better quality and much more space.

Room Tip: Look somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank mrtafft
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Usually I am not one to complain, but we have just returned from a week at Holywell bay (We have been going to Holywell for years as a family and obviously really like the park and its location) and after this experience we will not be booking for next year or ever use Parkdean again.

We arrived on the Friday and were allocated caravan 133, next to us in 132 and 131 were all male parties in approx 7-8 vehicles, they were all standing outside their caravans smoking and loudly swearing. Eventually they departed their caravans to return at 2am in the morning and proceeded to open up their VW transporter and blast out dance music whilst standing outside the caravan smoking and talking really loudly, which woke up the whole family! After about half an hour of this (which must have woken up the whole site, apart from site security) my wife could not handle any more and went out and told them to turn it off because of our children (My wife at this time smelt that they were smoking drugs) they turned off the music but continued to talk loudly outside their van all night.

Needless to say we did not get any sleep and we reported this to reception who said they would look into it. In our opinion the fact of both the noise and the drugs smoked right outside my 10 year old daughters window should have spurred the staff to remove them from the site and contact the police.

The following night they had moved the cannabis wagon down to the caravan that was farthest away from us and we had high hopes of sleep. But no such luck at 2am they were all outside again smoking and talking at the tops of their voices.

We again contacted reception and asked them what action they had taken and why an all male party was allowed on a family site and why they were put next to families with young children. We were told that it is because of discrimination laws that they cannot be stopped coming to the sites. After looking on the Parkdean web site it says that it is at Parkdeans absolute discretion to allow these parties. All we can say is that they obviously have none!

If this is Parkdeans policy they should let people know! We would certainly not have booked if we knew single sex parties were accepted and we are sure many others feel the same regarding a so called family holiday.

We feel that our week was a disaster and totally spoiled for a bunch of inconsiderate individuals that should not have been on the site (especially during a half term break when all the children are on holiday). We are at a loss to why Parkdean did not remove them from the site or call the police and it was lucky that they left on the Sunday as we were ready to leave and cut our holiday short due to this disruption. Considering on arrival we inquired about the possibility of extra nights to stay, I count myself lucky that we never extended our break.

We contacted Parkdeans head office twice over the last 2 weeks with no response. Obviously they could not care less and this is reflected in their customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a caravan that is not near single sex parties and a drug free area!
10  Thank otterks
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed as a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 2 children aged 11 and 6 ), for 7 nights beginning sat 26th October 2013, half term week. I had booked directly with park dean after numerous emails before hand, where i had asked loads of questions. The emails were always answered promptly and were very helpful. Cannot fault the before booking service. I went ahead and booked and then was reading lots of negative feedback on trip advisor, mainly about caravan cleanliness. I emailed again and explained my concerns and said i was more apprehensive than excited about the holiday. Once again my email was answered promptly and i was told that a manager would go and double check my caravan after it had been made ready for our arrival. I felt that i couldn't ask for any more. We arrived at 3.50pm, check in was swift, very informative and very friendly. We had caravan number 9 which park dean call a MYlor and was new in march 2013. It was SPOTLESS, VERY WELL EQUIPPED, IDEALLY SITUATED, couldn't have asked for more. We unpacked, beds were already made up with super fresh clean white sheets. The eldest son wanted the tv on but remote didn't work, we changed the batteries but still no joy, i walked to reception, (less than 3 mins) and they came around and swapped remote. That night the storm was forecast and yes it was very windy and rainy but we were sun in our caravan with heating gin all rooms and they a rev proper radiators, in fact we were never ever cold and dried washing on radiators. There is a stream behind the caravan which is lovely to sit relaxing and listening to it. The arcade is small but its a small site so that is fine, shop is well stocked up. The bar/club is lovely, and the food is fab. My youngest loved the ball pit. Only can get a phone signal in the bar or at the top of the entrance drive to the park, but thats no problem. I love my phone but you are on hols, and are they to relax and switch off, so chill about the lack of signal. The outdoor pool was closed due to time of year but looked like it would be fab and the slide. We went to the sister site, not far away called white acres and used their indoor pool. You can walk to the beach from holywell, about 5mins walk. Lovely beach. We had an AMAZING holiday, i am a bit O.C.D with cleanliness but need not have worried. Staff were always polite and friendly. My younger son entered the Haloween fancy dress and all the games, which he loved and the entertainers were brill. We and lots of others decorated our caravans for halloween. So all the moaners and whingers, who had left bad reviews were totally wrong, and we will defo be going again. Well done Parkdean, we loved it. Some people just love to moan, probably hoping for a freebie. I will complain if things are not right but will always give credit where credit is due.

6  Thank richrnc
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed half term week 26the October booked this holiday (Kelsey 3 bedroom £219.00) through Hoseasons before reading reviews! rung to upgrade (Mitchel 3 bedroom £279.00) a 2013 caravan ( then read some more reviews stating they did not end up with the caravans they had booked. 2 things I need to say first, Hoseasons allowed me to make an upgrade in caravan and place additional guests onto my party with no admin charge, very big positive to Hoseasons for that also I did receive the caravan I had booked a 3 bedroom Mitchel marked up as a ABI Tebay platinum.
The caravan was very well equipped, very clean and surprisingly spacious for a 10 foot wide van and the bed linen was white freshly pressed, top notch, all the things it should be but that is not always the case is it? but it was on this occasion so praise where praise is due.
Found the park and club house to be small compact but on the whole very good (Carling £3.25) could easily see this being great for kids when the pool is open. The beach is very special and easy to see again that in warm sunny weather it will be amazing.

2  Thank gary w
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I had a long weekend booked here as the usual place we stay was booked.
Full weather warnings in place for storms, 100mph winds and met office saying avoid travelling.
I called them to explain had a young child and was worried about the forecasted flood warnings and storms and could we re book holiday.
Well, there response was outstanding. "If you choose to obey weather warnings and avoid travelling that's down to you" and "we won't rebook on grounds of bad weather warnings" so basically you choose to put your family's welfare first tough.
Just be wary.
I cannot recommend now to friends and family.

Stayed: October 2013
5  Thank Mrscsykes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Perran Sands Holiday Park - Haven
Hendra Holiday Park
Hendra Holiday Park
#2 of 79 in Newquay
Perran View Holiday Park
Tolroy Manor Holiday Park

Been to Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!