“A Good base to explore Cornwall and relax in the evenings.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park
Ranked #16 of 78 Specialty Lodging in Newquay
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Just come back from a 4 day break at Parkdean, Holywell Bay. Me, my husband and 16month daughter booked in to a 2 bedroom Cubert Caravan from the Monday to the friday. I'll break the review down into sections as I know from experience that I find this most helpful.

Checking in:
We got at the site just before 4pm and found reception easily as it is just next to the enterance. Was checked in efficiently and with a friendly smile, given our keys, information pack and shown on the map how to locate our caravan.

Accomodation: Had booked the Cubert Caravan as these were the new models for 2012 and we had managed in January to find a very reasonable price for our stay. The caravan it self was very nicely furnished with modern fittings and fixtures, 32" LCD TV, fridge/freezer, oven, Iorn/iorning board etc.also central heating! My only one negative is that it has a very compact feel to it with not alot of room between the Kitchen and living space. However once we were in and settled it was a very comfy base for the three of us.

On arrival I noticed that we had no clean linen and that the dirty linen had not been taken away. Also I was slightly concerned as to where I was going to put my little girls travel cot. However this problem was quickly resolved with a trip to reception, within 5mins of complaining housekeeping came round with fresh linen and showed my husband how the beds fold away to accomodate the travel cot in the second bedroom, great.

Entertainment:
The site offers a well stocked bar and restaurant, which is situated next to the entertainment/dance floor. It also has a lovely decked area which I would imagine would be nice to have a drink on in the warmer months. The decking area over looks the toddler play area which looked clean and safe. There is also a small indoor soft play area for the little ones which again looked nice however my little girl never got in there as we ran out of time.
On the first night we did have a few drinks in the bar and my husband was more than pleased that they had sky sports on the tv's for the football. The drinks were average price and what you would expect to pay when out, pint £3.50, bottle of wine £8.95. I cannot comment of the food as we didn't eat there, we preferred to visit the nearby Morrisons and cook our own food. I will say however that what I saw coming out of the Kitchen looked lovely and they had a good menu.

There is also a shop, laundrette and small arcade on site, as well as a larger adventure playground and outdoor swimming pool, which looked lovely but sadly we didn't have the weather to use it. My daughter however did enjoy the swings in the playground.

Surrounding area:
The site itself is situated in a lovely valley, which would explain the lack of phone signal, and is a 10 mins gentle walk away from the beach. This is great for nature lovers as there is plenty too see. The beach itself is accessed through sand dunes so prepare for a little climb but it is well worth it as the beach is beautiful and clean, my little girl loved running around on it.

You are about 5 mins drive away from the centre of Newquay which offers a variety of things to do and see, the town centre has a variety of shops and pubs as well as the stunning beaches on the front. There is also Newquay zoo and the blue reef aquarium. We wanted to take our daughter swimming while we were there so we visited the Oasis pool situated on Hendra holiday park, it is a bit pricey but the pools are lovely with nice splash pools for the toddlers and a couple of flume rides for the older kids.

We also visited Looe/Polperro while we were there, Padstow and St Ives all are with 45mins of the Caravan site and were well worth the visit.

Staff:
All staff who I encountered during my stay at Holywell were friendly and very helpful, esspecially the ladies on reception who were able to give me information on the surrounding area and solve any problems I had. The bar and shop staff were also very friendly and always had a smile for my daughter.

All in all it was a good stay which as a family we really enjoyed. We didn't use the entertainment every night as we like to relax in the comfort of our caravan with a bottle of wine. I understand that some people are put off with the lack of mobile signal but you only have to drive 2 mins out of the valley to get a signal again, so you would be able to contact home if needed. I will agree that there wi-fi does need to be looked at as it is painfully slow or non exsistent but this is a minor detail. I would definitley book with parkdean again!! I would also like to add that a couple of days after our stay we received a postcard from one of the reception memebers at parkdean thanking us for our stay this was a really nice touch.

Room Tip: Newer caravan models have central heating and upgraded furnishins so book one of these if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank eightpercent

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Just had a week down at Hollywell Bay and loved it. The weather was something else though, from hail storms to brilliant sunshine within the same hour, oh; and the wind was up. But the site is truly family freindly. The caravan we had (155) was a short walk away from everything you needed, shop, bar, entertainments and reception. A good welcome from the reception when we arrived and nothing was too much trouble. The beach is about 10 minutes away and it is STUNNING! One afternoon I had it all to myself as the girls were taking a nap. Raw nature at it's best. The site has plenty to offer and is a handy base from which to explore north Cornwall. (Visit Port Isaac where they film Doc Marten Absolutley grand.) Would we go to Parkdeans Hollywell Bay again? Certainly, but as it is an 750 mile round trip I would want to stay longer. Downsides? The sat nav will take you to the bottom gate and you cannot get in there. Take the first gate you come to on the left hand side half way down the hill. Also there are public phone boxes on site with quite good reason, you can't get a signal down there. Yippee!!! There is however wifi in the bar area so don't despair. I was well pleased, as I hate mobile phones anyway. We stayed with Parkdean in Cornwall last year over at Mullion, and although it too was also good, Hollwell Bay is nicer. PS the bar prices are reasonable too.

Room Tip: It would depend on what your'e after. If you want 5 star accom then go somewhere else, otherwise...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Frank B
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We've just come back from a week here and will not be returning. The shame is that there is a lot to like about the place, and if you are the sort who either stays in the club until they throw everyone out or returns to the site after midnight then I can recommend the place. But if you'd like to get your kids and yourself to sleep before midnight avoid this place like the plague.

To be balanced, here's a bit more detail:

We booked into a bottom of the line caravan. Check in was swift with a very friendly reception crew - who maintained such through the week whenever we contracted them. Unfortunately it closed early in the evening so if you had to report anything then, it involved going to the noisy club, and making your way through a crowded bar populated with people who, to put it mildly, were not in a fit state to legally get behind the wheel of a car.

The caravan was small. but plenty room for up to four, though storage is lacking - no drawers for your smalls.

It was an old van, but apart from some missed salad leaves in the sink was clean throughout and had new carpets. Linen is supplied, but you have to make up your own bed. The mattresses had a worn surface but still had plenty of support and comfort in them. Unlike some other caravans they also supplied a good sized fridge freezer. Could have done with a reading light in the bedroom.

If you have a mobile phone addict in the group, be aware that there no network reception anywhere. Also, the free wi-fi is reminiscent of the old dial up days, but with added multiple "unable to connect" messages. It's only available in the club and as has been established it gets very noisy in there.

There were a number of issues we brought up during the week - all those concerning the caravan were dealt with very promptly by maintenance:
Gaps in windows
Broken bin
Sticking front door
Missing door knob in the loo
Missing pillowcase
Overgrown brambles at the back which squeaked against the main bedroom wall in the wind.
Unable to turn the fire on as the instructions were for a different model.
Nothing above is enough to damn the place and the fact that maintenance were quick to resolve them is a credit to them.

Whilst our child did not want to take part in the kid's club (after let downs at another brand's kids club) we did not use the club, but caught the start of a couple of sessions and I have to say the two blokes we saw at work were terrific with the kids, very engaging (unlike the previously mentioned competitors). All of which makes it such a shame that the site ruins it all by making sure every caravan can hear every note that is blared out in the evening.

The restaurant is in the same room as the club, so if you want a relaxing meal after about 7:00m forget it. Again, a huge shame as the grub was nice, fairly priced and the staff good. Nice breakfasts, but it does not open until 9:00am.

We did point out to reception more than once that not everyone wants to listen to the Macarena at 11:45 pm, and they passed the message on to the Entertainment division who either stuck two fingers up at the complaint or could not interpret the multi-syllabic words they had been presented with.

It's such a shame that the late night noise ruined the hard work of everyone else on the camp-site. But if noisy night's are your thing then head over there, otherwise search for calmer waters elsewhere.

One non-site related gripe, but pointed at Park Dean. For some reason they don't like people booking on-line. I did so, then sent a request for a non-smoking caravan. They replied saying it would be another £10, claiming I'd been given a £10 discount for booking on-line. I had not. I'd been given a £10 discount for paying everything up-front. So, if you want to specify a caravan you need to book over the phone - which sadly is a non-geographic kick-back number.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Holywell bay is a lovely place although I was shocked to hear from reception they get absolutely no mobile signal there, so if u rely on your mobile this is not he place for you! Site was lovely and quiet if that's what you like. Beach is nice but very hard going because of the dunes so if you are unfit/disabled it's not for you. Shop is well stocked but only open til 7pm at latest which I thought was odd. Restaurant on site serves nice food at a reasonable price. All the staff seemed nice and polite. Caravans need some attention as none of the locks on toilet worked and the door knob kept falling off. Beds had seen better days and had definately had some DIY work carried out. very cold in the caravan so take extra bedding! Kids entertainment was very good, my son loved it. Not much entertainment for adults though. All in all, I would say its a nice quiet site for a break, if your the type to find fault easily then don't go. But for the £102 we paid for 4 days I thought it was a nice break.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here twice, both times we booked a bungalow to stay in. While they are a little dated they are clean and homely and reaonably priced. There is plenty of space and they have good kitchen and bathroom facilities. We expected lots of noise from the entertainment place on the site but because of where the bungalows were situated we couldn't hear anything. The park is a short walk to the beach which is great for me, there's a lovely pub on the way. We will definitely be back to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SarahHale74
Reviewed February 10, 2012

It had everything we needed, swimming pool, shop and good entertainment. The caravan was fine and very close to the beach. I had no complaints and have been quite a few times.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank ShellyBobbs
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We rented a caravan on this site (No. 56) hoping for a lovely holiday. From the moment we stepped into the caravan it felt unclean. There was mould everywhere. thick black stuff on the shower curtain. the toilet light pulley was black instead of the usual white. Opened the lid to the toilet and was faced with disgusting brown stuff, which was easily cleaned by us using a cheap 29p bottle of bleach, something the cleaner could have used.
There was what looked like several damp stains on the bedroom carpet again along with specks of mould on walls. Duvet on double bed didnt even fit the bed leaving gaps either side when two people laid in bed. Duvet on singles bed didnt even cover my two sons (17 & 12)
Kitchen sink draining board had thick black gunk down where the water should have drained down. Cutlery looked unwashed so we washed everything before use. Fridge door had mould all around the seal and the door didnt really shut probably.
Air filters in the ceiling where clogged full of dust and cobwebs.
The caravan was just pure filthy.

The campsite it self was quietish apart from what seemed like people in heavy boots tramping up and down their caravans early in the morning and late at night.

The good part was that the campsite was about 10 mins walk to a beautiful beach, which our two sons loved.

I will visit the beach again but never this campsite. Not until they sack the cleaner and update the caravans.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Rainbowwitch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Perran Sands Holiday Park - Haven
Newquay View Resort
Newquay View Resort
#4 of 78 in Newquay

Been to Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!