Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park
$207
  • Breakfast included
$122
$119
The Esplanade Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
$118
$112
$77
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
The Pentire Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
$101
$91
All reviewssand dunessmall siteshort walkno mobile phone signalsmall arcadestunning beachsun newspaperkids entertainmentoutdoor poolcentral heatingon site shoplovely sitelovely caravanentertainment stafffamily holidaydvd playergreat holiday
Reviewed August 22, 2011

we stayed in one of the bungalows( partner & 2 children) on arrival we were told that we could book in . we were early so they told us 2 wait 10 mins as they were still cleaning which was fine. when we got to the bungalow, on opening the door, the smell of wet dog and smelly feet hit you. the carpet was vert stained and walls dirty. the bathroom was a horror story. the shower had leaked for sum time so the lino was black . the tiles were mouldy and decoration was shabby and needs updating. there was ivy growing inside the window as the windows had been shut. when i complained to reception it took 2 days for them to clean the carpet. a handy man came to look at the bath/shower an decleard nothing wrong with it. a cleaner came and left 2 bath mats to soak up all the water, on her leaving she told me it was best we all "just had a bath then there wouldnt be any water on the floor" outside the bungalow was a piece of grass that my children loved to play on until the park staff started to drive over it to turn their vechicles . that was another complaint to reception which proved pointless. the pool was fine, clean not to big but the weather wasnt the best so not many people were using it. ellenglaze bar was fine to .although we had a horrible meal on our first day, the prices were reasonable and in the evening it was always full with lots of families eating there. for the amount of families using the park the play area is very poor. there is plenty of places where they could put a lovely big play area but instead use it as a car park for acsess to the beach. there was no phone reception at all in the park. the walk to the beach was short and the best thing about holywell... beautiful beach with lovely sandunes. i am lead to believe that the new caravans are much better , but unfortunatly we wont be returning to holywell bay next year. a good base to explore cornwall and the beach for bodyboarding, but the accomadation spoilt my holiday.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I booked this a few weeks before we went, out first choice was perran sands but unfortunally their sale ended the day before I booked and couldn't justify an extra £126 for 4 nights.
We arrived about 2pm and was greeted warmly by the receptionist she said that we could have the keys but the linen may not be there as our check in was 4pm. I was quite disapointed when she got the map out to show us where the caravan was, as it was situated the other end of the park furtherist away from the beach as possibly actually we were just opposite the tents and touring caravans.
I had booked the Porthtowan caravan which is a new model for 2011, the caravan had nice decor but was very small . The bedrooms had no room to store socks, underwear or T-shirts each bedroom had a small wardrobe but the one in the twin room was tiny.
The kitchen area was well equipted with plenty of cupboard space.
The shower was very good but there was no where to hang towels or store toothbrushes.
The site itself was quite disapointing. The outdoor pool didn't have she any changing room or toilets near by so there was no where to change after you had been in the pool.
The games room was very small and was always empty when we went there.
The shop seemed well stocked but I couldn't comment on the prices as I only bought some crisps but the man who worked there was very talkative.
The evening entertainment was ok'ish for my 6 year old she liked the dancing with sid and lizzie but my 8 year old was bored and hung out just outside where there was a tiny park area. We usually left around 9 which is quite early for us while on holiday.
A couple of the night we actually went off site and had dinner just so we didn't have to go th the entertainment.
The Ellenglaze bar is small compared to other parks and if you wasn't there by 7.30pm then you had trouble finding a table.
In all we liked the area as it was very central for st ives and padstow but we wouldn't stay at this park again due to lack of facilities partly my fault for not looking more into it when booking

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2011

The area is lovely and the beach even more so. However the standard of the caravans leave a lot to be desired. Having booked late this year we ended up in a Trispen caravan overlooking the play area. It was noisy. Most of the time there was no parental supervision and the children ran riot, not the fault of the park however. The caravan exterior was filthy, it would not take much to hose down, and the windows, inside and out, hadn't seen a clean for months. We could not use the bottom tray in the fridge (for milk etc) as it fell off when we put the milk on it - as it has done several times before judging by the amount of filler and rusty screws used to "bodge" it back together. The toaster didn't work - reported but never changed. We attempted to use the pull out bed in the lounge once but removing the hardboard under the seat, the smell of damp was nauseating so we left it where it was. We watched the cleaner several times in neighbouring caravans and she was not in long, which goes some way to explaining the state of the caravans. However we only saw the one lady cleaner, don't know if she was the only one. This was our 6th visit to this site in 12 years as we love the area so much, but I doubt we will be returning again. It is a shame as the site itself is spotless and maintained daily. Must say thanks to shop staff (Costcutter) who were very friendly and helpful and always served with a smile. Have to give a two rating unfortunately as the park is clean but caravans need serious updating, and certainly not worth what they are charging for them.

Room Tip: Book by phone rather than the internet. This way you can choose where you stay on the park. The telephone operators are very helpful.
Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We booked a Trispen caravan for £769. We didn't have high expectations but clean would have been nice. Got keys early, opened door and straight away a awful fish/urine smell came from bathroom. I came prepared with dettol wipes, bleach. We spent an hour cleaning everything. Yes, shower was mouldy, as was headboard in bedroom.Bedding grubby. We luckily took our own this I would highly recommend. we did go out and brought air freshners and spray. On the plus side the children loved the facilities and the freedom. Making lots of friends. The beach a short walk, only downside no toilet on beach.

If you book, go expecting to rough it. Take cleaning stuff and own bedding.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Gratwicke
Reviewed August 6, 2011

On arrival we were quite impressed, didnt have to wait for keys even though we couple of hours early. We had paid for an "upgrade" and £900 for the week so was expecting pretty good accomodation.

On opening up the caravan, the first thing that hit you was the smell of damp, on entering the bathroom, I was totally horrified!!! There was black mould all over the walls, ceiling, curtains, even the pull cord to the light was covered in black mould. The shower cubicle was also covered in black mould. The smell was awful, a mixture of old urine and damp. At this point I felt totally gutted, this was our third caravan holiday this year and meant to be the best and no where what the price reflected.

I went to the shop and bought cleaning stuff and spent a "good hour" scrubbing the mould off the walls, the floor when wiped showed dried yellow stains which i assume to be urine.

A little while later, my 5 yr old sat on the seating bench around the dining table and fell through!!!! On inspection, the wood panel underneath was smashed and nothing put a pile of chipboard on the floor.

On the plus side, I went straight to reception to complain and straight away rang housekeeping and said I should have reported the "dirty bathroom" but that really wasnt the point, the damp had taken weeks/months to get to that state. The housekeeping woman did arrive within a few minutes and I showed her the problem in the bathroom and she sprayed some flash on it "to make it smell better" when I asked about the mould all over the caravan, (by then i'd discovered it was in pretty much every corner of the rear rooms) she looked at me blankly as if she had no idea what I was talking about!! The rear bedroom carpet smelt very badly of urine too.

The clubhouse was very nice as just had a refurb, the food was okish but incredibly overpriced.

Pity really, as with regular maintenance to the caravans could be a fantastic site.

Oh, and no phone signal for any network as due to no phone masts.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family