“Lovely birthday treat!”

Ranked #89 of 105 Newquay B&B and Inns
rochdale
“Lovely birthday treat!”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We arrived a little early then the 2pm check in time, (12:55pm.) & were told politely that we wouldn't be able to check in 'till then, however the receptionist was very helpful & gave us a map of the area to explore.
The town itself is around 10-15mins walk away, with some lovely beaches although I think a town that's in need of a little T.L.C. quite scruffy in parts. It's around 20 years since I last visited Newquay!! Quite a few changes!
We were checked in & pionted in the right direction to the room, a lovely sea view with balcony. All rooms are beach themed, ours was the seabreeze, lovely! Towels changed when needed, you use these also at the pool etc. We had a problem with the balcony door but after reporting it to reception it was sorted (it was a little awkward to unlock so we left it unlocked as we were told it was quite safe up there). The only down side of having a room with a balcony is not being able to have a window open for fresh air, if the door is left open the wind blows it knocking into the iron work of the balcony making it very unpleasant for other guests. We also found the position of our room (over the bar & kitchen area) to be fairly noisy, especially the fan on the roof outside our balcony door!
The breakfasts were adequate, we also ate there twice in the evening. The food was excellant, service great, all staff work really hard, especially when they have weddings on. As mentioned in other reviews the wedding parties do tend to take over.
The gym, pool, sauna, steam room & hot tub all used by myself & partner. I didn't like the changing rooms as they weren't very private, & the lockers had no keys in so had to leave my stuff on the benches! But loved the pool just deep enough for me, don't like getting out of my depth.
We enjoyed this break, & would like to go back again in the future.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
London
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We have just spent a week at the Glendorgal and I can not say enough good things about the place. The views are some of the best I have ever seen in the world and I do travel a bit. The level of service was friendly, professional and nothing was too much for the staff. The rooms are comfortable and I especially appreciate that you can get wi-fi in your hotel room. We loved using the health club and found it clean and much better and bigger than I would have expected for a hotel this size. We will be back! Thank you Glendorgal and all your staff. I also enjoyed a nice meal down on Lusty Glaze beach as well which is next to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2010

This is a nice hotel overlooking Porth Bay and some rooms have fantastic views over the bay with balconies. The room we stayed in was adequate but had a poor view and we could hear the conversations and noises from next door along. The floor boards creaked and every morning a six am someone left a room banging a door. The breakfasts were excellent in a restaurant overlooking the bay. The smoked haddock with poached egg was to due for. The Gym was good but the steam room and sauna cold. The fact that the hotel specialises in weddings means that standard guests will get little attention at weekends. All in all a hotel worth staying in BUT not worth the £140 a night I paid.
The tapas bar at the head of the beach is well worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank briankirk
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Dear Jo Hammond, Please accept this email as a formal complaint in relation to our recent stay at Glendorgal Hotel, room 3 between the nights of 6-7th August 2010. I highlight the following issues in relation to the room itself, the spa, dining arrangements, staff generally and summing up -:

The room
While taking a shower, the valve could not be adjusted without experiencing extremes of hot and cold.
The bed mattress creaked
The television remote control was unworkable. The digi box had in excess of 300 programmes and you had to scroll through them all to find the odd 6 channels which worked. The EPG button or the manual programme buttons did not work. We contacted reception and was advised that it could not be fixed. We understand this has been an ongoing issue.
The second time we contacted reception was when the patio/balcony door was left open, a seagull flew past and dropped a series of droppings on the walls. I was advised or rather asked if I could get a tissue and clean it as House keeping had gone home. I pointed out the risks and hazards of cleaning it without appropriate gloves and or chemical cleaners and the lady said she would report it to the manager, which I guess is your good self. A gentleman came up with a sponge and got most off the inside of the patio door and then left our room using the hand he had just used to clean up, leaving suds on the handle.

The Spa
The steam room was cold
The Sauna was switched off and very cold. Although reception responded by putting the timer back on, my wife and my self ended up with steamed red faces because it was like having a bowl of water over a 5kw electric bar fire. The sauna needs to be left on to be useable and safe, with an appropriate thermostat.

Dining arrangements
On the saturday night 7th, you had a wedding. There was extreme confusion about where to get pre-dinner drinks, one minute told when were at the front, that we needed to go to the back, where apparently we were to dine, rearranged without telling us, was not ready because the wedding guests were using it and then told to go to the front where we would be served, to be advised to wait in the corner where a child was sleeping until things were ready.

Staff Generally
Your staff are overall very friendly and helpful, but they seem inadequately trained and resourced to deal with the issues.

Summing up
The wedding party, being what it was, was noisy until the early hours of sunday morning. Looking forward to a full english breakfast before our journey home was also a big disappointment, biting into a cheap sausage and into crunchy bone I think sums up the whole experience of staying with you, profits before people.

The combined effects of the above left our return journey to Bristol not a safe one. Both my wife and my self had to take regular turns in driving and trying to keep each other awake as we were so tired we were both susceptible to micro-napping.

The price tag of £190 per person per night is a rip off to say the least and I think you may manage to persuade the English Tourist Board that your a 3* establishment and if this is the case, you make a mockery of us all. What should have been a relaxing break, turned out to be anything but.

Mr and Mrs Phill and Alison Wheatley

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank PhillWheatley

Travelers are raving about these Newquay hotels

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Fantastic view, ok breakfast, excellent for running, within walking distance of the city centre, surfing and kiting possibilities everywhere. Have fun !
PS: Ask for a room with a view of the bay !!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Went to the Glendorgal Hotel on a reckie as my son is getting married there later this year. Was not very impressed at all with the restaurant only five main courses to choice from. My wife and myself both had ribeye steak with melted blue cheese. When our meal arrived it was rump steak not ribeye and the cheese was only warmed not melted very dissapointed.Very expensive as well main course was nearly £20.00 Could have had a 160z t bone for 18.00 in newquay. Receptionist could not be bothered to even say good evening despite looking straight at us she was very off hand. Lets just hope the wedding is ok and the food/services improves.Could not comment on rooms till after the wedding fingers crossed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cettown6511
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Just home from a stay at Glendorgal.

Scenery is beautiful .Stayed in House on site and it was lovely very clean and well equiped .Unfortunately Staff in hotel incredibly ignorant and unhelpful.Too many young people employed in the hotel with attitude problems.The words please and thank you need to be taught to staff.Food in hotel was disgusting with burnt roast potatoes offered and Leisure club area was permanently unmanned.

Will definitely visit cornwall again but not Glendorgal.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family