“Fantastic location- needs some tender loving care”
Review of Glendorgal Hotel

Glendorgal Hotel
Ranked #85 of 106 Newquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I don't normally do reviews but felt compelled to do so. The location is stunning, over looking Porth Cove and Lusty Glaze beach. However having read the previous reviews we arrived with some trepidation for the Easter Weekend in the self catering apartments. The cleaning was hopeless, we were not sure whether this was the first letting of the season but we had to complete a full clean of the shower heads, the dishes and glasses in the cupboard and old unclean glasses were still in the dish washer smelling badly. There were skittles (sweets) down the back of the settee.There was no grill pan, bread knife, oven gloves and despite requesting them from Reception never arrived. The swimming pool was very cold and the sauna door had a gap all around it. There was no sign of the Jacuzzi -- I assume the entrance to the Jacuzzi room was off limits due to a large plant pot.
However the walks and views from here are stunning and the beaches at Porth, Watergate Bay, and Crantock beach are spectacular.
The staff were very friendly at the hotel and the staff at the Traveller's Inn at Trevarrian and the Beach Hut at Watergate Bay meant taking the dog with us for an evening meal was easy.
With a bit of loving care, a new coat of paint and a cleaning team that know how to clean this Hotel and self catering apartments could be much improved.
The 3 days we stayed were very relaxing and we would stay here again but I would give the swimming pool and sauna facilities a miss.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed with my family in one of the self catering accommodation behind the hotel. Breath taking view however the steps are so dangerous it could be your last breath! Accommodation was booked through a private company and was very good, Clean and well equipped. Shame about the wood decking steps down to the accommodation, Had mould and algae growing all over it, The guys next door had an accident on the steps and had to go to hospital. Went to reception to enquire about using the hotels facilities and found the staff very rude and grumpy. Such a shame as the hotel is situated in such a lovely place with amazing views but obviously money comes before health, safety and attitude here at this establishment. With the right owner's and a bit of refurbishment this place could be a little gem. Such a shame!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank R0ger245
Reviewed March 1, 2013

After reading trip advisor reports I was worried about what we might find. When we arrived the location was fantastic and the staff very friendly . Rooms were nice and clean. Shower could have been a little cleaner but was fine. Food in the restaurant was great value and the hotel was a great base for exploring Cornwall. Will be coming back.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend booked this for a surprise birthday trip and I'd been looking forward to a relaxing trip away. We live fairly locally, so arrived early afternoon and were pleased that there was a room available. First impressions were good - lots of parking, nice reception, friendly staff. We headed up to the room, no 27, I excitedly pushed open the door and felt - horribly disappointed.

The room was small, drab and obviously hadn't been checked in a while. The walls were scuffed badly, the window sill dusty and chipped, and what would have been a great view through the skylight was obscured by weeks worth of seagull excrement. I would have been embarrassed to let guests stay in a room like this in my home for free, never mind expect payment for it. There was no feeling of luxury whatsoever, a tired armchair with a faded cushion was the extent of it. The boyfriend tried to chivvy me with a cup of tea, but I'd rather have just gone home.

Fortunately we asked to move and got no 17 instead. This was 3 times the size, had towels rolled into elephant shapes (loved these!) no view, some dubious carpet stains but was a vast improvement. There was no privacy whatsoever. I have never stayed in a hotel with worse soundproofing. You could hear everything from both sides and above, including next door's dog which barked every time I walked around our room. I had little hope of any sleep but the beds were actually quite comfy, if a bit small.

We ate in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. I had a veggie burger for dinner. This experience could be recreated at home by rolling a giant paxo ball of stuffing and encasing it in a co op 4 for £1 multiseed roll. The food was fine but took ages to arrive, I was ready to eat the napkin by the time our starter of bread and dips turned up. Seriously, how long can it take to slice some bread and pour some dips? Answer: 55 mins, for anyone who cares. Breakfast was very ordinary and not worth the money. No croissants, pastries or real choice.

The location of this place is undeniably awesome, and would be amazing in summer but the content could have been so much better. The staff clearly worked hard and were pleasant but the whole place needs a bit of love and attention and a decent team of handymen to sort out all the chipped and broken things. The spa was just awful. No towels provided, no swimsuit drier. A cold, soulless pool of chemically smelling water in a window less tiled room, and a garden shed with a 3 bar heater constituted the pool and sauna. I didn't see a solarium or hot tub. I lasted 5 minutes before heading back to my room. On the way back, a couple were complaining about their room at reception, it had a kicked in wardrobe apparently. Nice. Why does nobody check the rooms before guests arrive?

I've seen from other reviews that others have paid £300 or so for rooms here. Don't, I beg you! Go to the headland instead, or the scarlet. Or I've got a lovely spare room at home nearby that I might consider letting out now I know what my competition is.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Katie76
Reviewed January 16, 2013

we stayed here on new years eve for one night.i had stayed here many years ago and had fond memories. our visit started well when entering through a lovely old door and into the reception. very pleasant receptionist gave us our key and directions to our room. we went to see what the restaurant was like and followed very bland corridors with different flooring and walls that badly needed a lick of paint.we went into this huge room the size of a village hall with a scattering of couches a bar and dining tables with no character whatsover.our room was nice with a wonderful view of porth island, but what let it down was the bedding.two wafer thin pillows and a quilt which was the same we managed to get two new pillows but the quilt failed to keep us warm.there was no info in the folder about the hotel or the spa.the bathroom was ok but a bit grubby especially around the shower breakfast the next morning was an experience.there was a menu on the table telling you what was available on the self service table but it didnt quite tally with what was on display we had to keep asking for things like oj? it is such a shame that this hotel has no character like it used to have what with it being in such a stunning position.

Room Tip: no 4 was a nice room wonderful view although vent on flat roof lots of food smells and miniscule tv.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We got married last weekend and we decided to stay here for 3 nights as a little get away. The Hotel was was better than expected. We had an amazing view from our room and the staff were very friendly. One member of staff even offered to buy us a drink to say congratulations. We will come back again as we were very impressed.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 9, 2012

stayed on the 08/12/2012 for a christmas function very dissapointed. my wife and i paid £20 each for a buffet style meal but going up near the end they had run out of potatoes and stuffing and other items in short supply when asked for more we were informed there was no more coming. not good enough im afraid (wife expecting and needs to eat!).the cost of keeping everybody happy would not be too high and would still ensure a profit, especially with the size of the party attending. so well done you've just made an extra £20 but what price the fact that 20 people now are going to write bad reviews.The rooms are ok if you like to hear the people next door going to the toilet and don't want a decent a pillow!
Beautiful location and nicely decorated but very badly managed and a few extra touches would just improve the general experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends