“Beautiful views but apartment in need of some TLC”

Beachcombers Apartments
Ranked #24 of 78 Specialty Lodging in Newquay
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Beautiful views but apartment in need of some TLC”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We paid extra for a sea view, and although it was a fairly good sea view, I would expet the ones from Waves are more with what I would have expected. The apartment was tired looking, I didn't think they were that old but the years I've been coming to Watergate Bay have probaby flown by. Once we had got other that we had a perfectly nice stay. Would have liked nicer toiletries too as for once we'd actually not taken our own.
We got this on a deal and even then I think it was around £300 for 3 nights, the 3 stars is really because I expected more for the money. Perfectly nice place to stay but perhaps only worth it on a deal because it seemd expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: Worth paying for a sea view, you probably won't get more than a glipse if that from your room ot...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sunsearcher7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I booked a surprise weekend for my boyfriends 30 th birthday for 6 of us to go to Cornwall-namely to go to rick steins restaurant in padstow. I saw the deal on secret escapes and booked quickly. We were very lucky with the weather as it was stunning-so the boys got the surfboards hired and hit the waves!! The beach is gorgeous. Pure sand and nestled in between 2 cliffs. We walked all the way to Newquay and it was just lovely. Found some hidden coves en route. Padstow was a 10 min drive away and the restaurant was amazing!!! On the last night we are at fifteen which is right by the apartment in watergate bay and overlooks the beach. Incredible food and great service. I was really surprised by how fantastic the apartments, location etc were-a real hidden gem!!

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Annabel D
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Location lovely, rooms nice, if a bit dated in places. Quality extras. However the attitude of management stinks. I was told that my friend who lives locally was not allowed to leave her dog in my car in their car park for an hour whilst we went for dinner next door, it was an hour, the window was slightly open and it was 8 oclock in the evening, in october - no risk of overheating!The dog had been for a two hour walk so was tired, fed, watered and perfectly happy to sleep. The note left on my windscreen was in capital letters and when approached the following day I was told with her nose in the air 'we don't agree with dogs in cars' Thats fine, nor do I at times but don't judge me because you have no idea what you are talking about or the circumstances involved. I also had a query about security and asked her very politely to reassure me that although the same key that opened my front door also opened the communcal doors that no other key for any other room also opened my door and I was going to be safe in the room on my own (I was with others staying in a different room) Once again she rolled her eyes, took a key, put it in the door and stated 'tell me how that opens that door!?'

The problem was resolved sure, but I was left feeling like a child being told off in a classroom which quite frankly when you're 30 years old and paying premium rates for a weekend away you don't really want!! I certainly won't be returning, or giving these people any more of my hard earned money. God forbid you have an issue and want some help when you are there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Jo M
Hereford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in no. 30 which had a good partial view over Watergate Bay. The apartment has a twin room with ensuite as well as a separate shower room with wc. There is an open plan kitchen/living room with large patio doors out onto the balcony. The kitchen is well equipt, however we only used it for the basics as there are plenty of places to eat within Watergate Bay itself, as well as the rest of Cornwall! We booked a table well in advance at Fifteen and enjoyed a lovely meal there with a stunning view. We also ate at the Beach Hut, Phoenix pub and had a takeaway from the Venus cafe. There is also the Watergate Bay Hotel. The apartment was clean and had a homely feel about it. One thing to note is that, as we booked through an agents, they do take a credit card imprint when you arrive so do make sure you bring one. We spent 4 nights here at the beginning of Oct and wish we could have stayed much longer!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jenna H
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This break was from Thursday, Friday & Saturday night. Most impressed with accommodation, classed as a Penthouse but would say more of a top flat with stairs as one bedroom on first floor and second bedroom on second level, wished we had a sea view, icing on the cake so to speak but no complaints as very spacious, very well equipped, very comfortable, just lovely. With this deal we had a Cream Tea & 3 course dinner included at the nearby Porth Veor Manor Hotel, excellent food & service. This hotel is in a lovely position with their own little apartments within the grounds, perhaps next time we might stay there. This offer was excellent for all the right reasons, well done!

Lynn Orchard

Room Tip: Althought the accommodation was excellent I think maybe for older people a ground floor room would b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lynn O
bristol
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked this 3night break earlier in the year via travelzoo. We upgraded to a sea view apartment and had no regrets. We went with friends so the description of 2 bed appt didnt do it justice as one of them was described as a bunk room. Not so! There wer two double bedrooms (one ensuite) and a third bedroom which had 2 sets of bunks in! Very spacious appartment . Very comfortable and clean. The main bathroom was a wee bit odd though, it was like someone forgot to put the bath in it ! Nevertheless it was lovely so next offer coming up will be booked. Also the Phoenix pub next door is great. Lovely food and very welcoming and comfy. All in all a nice relaxing break

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank lulah_j
Chandlers Ford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Great apartments, we have been at least 10 times but this was probably our last. Returned after a surf trip to find the car park space allocated to us had another car half in our space. Was advised to use the public car park over the road earlier when we asked if any larger spaces were free, but none were available, which I was not keen on as I had all my boards and kit in the back of the van, along with a longboard on the roof. Last time we were here I also had a wetsuit stolen off the balcony.
Anyway, had no choice so used the car park over the road as advised and looks like I've got a parking fine coming from Cornwall council who don't allow overnight parking of vans. I then had to pay a full days parking for the following day that kicked in at 9am.
So if you have a van be warned, if you can't get into your allocated space or have more than 1 vehicle (1 space per apartment) you have nowhere left to go and park.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple