“Lovely place, shame about management”

Beachcombers Apartments
Ranked #30 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Newquay
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Location lovely, rooms nice, if a bit dated in places. Quality extras. However the attitude of management stinks. I was told that my friend who lives locally was not allowed to leave her dog in my car in their car park for an hour whilst we went for dinner next door, it was an hour, the window was slightly open and it was 8 oclock in the evening, in october - no risk of overheating!The dog had been for a two hour walk so was tired, fed, watered and perfectly happy to sleep. The note left on my windscreen was in capital letters and when approached the following day I was told with her nose in the air 'we don't agree with dogs in cars' Thats fine, nor do I at times but don't judge me because you have no idea what you are talking about or the circumstances involved. I also had a query about security and asked her very politely to reassure me that although the same key that opened my front door also opened the communcal doors that no other key for any other room also opened my door and I was going to be safe in the room on my own (I was with others staying in a different room) Once again she rolled her eyes, took a key, put it in the door and stated 'tell me how that opens that door!?'

The problem was resolved sure, but I was left feeling like a child being told off in a classroom which quite frankly when you're 30 years old and paying premium rates for a weekend away you don't really want!! I certainly won't be returning, or giving these people any more of my hard earned money. God forbid you have an issue and want some help when you are there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank Jo M

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in no. 30 which had a good partial view over Watergate Bay. The apartment has a twin room with ensuite as well as a separate shower room with wc. There is an open plan kitchen/living room with large patio doors out onto the balcony. The kitchen is well equipt, however we only used it for the basics as there are plenty of places to eat within Watergate Bay itself, as well as the rest of Cornwall! We booked a table well in advance at Fifteen and enjoyed a lovely meal there with a stunning view. We also ate at the Beach Hut, Phoenix pub and had a takeaway from the Venus cafe. There is also the Watergate Bay Hotel. The apartment was clean and had a homely feel about it. One thing to note is that, as we booked through an agents, they do take a credit card imprint when you arrive so do make sure you bring one. We spent 4 nights here at the beginning of Oct and wish we could have stayed much longer!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jenna H
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This break was from Thursday, Friday & Saturday night. Most impressed with accommodation, classed as a Penthouse but would say more of a top flat with stairs as one bedroom on first floor and second bedroom on second level, wished we had a sea view, icing on the cake so to speak but no complaints as very spacious, very well equipped, very comfortable, just lovely. With this deal we had a Cream Tea & 3 course dinner included at the nearby Porth Veor Manor Hotel, excellent food & service. This hotel is in a lovely position with their own little apartments within the grounds, perhaps next time we might stay there. This offer was excellent for all the right reasons, well done!

Lynn Orchard

Room Tip: Althought the accommodation was excellent I think maybe for older people a ground floor room would b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lynn O
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked this 3night break earlier in the year via travelzoo. We upgraded to a sea view apartment and had no regrets. We went with friends so the description of 2 bed appt didnt do it justice as one of them was described as a bunk room. Not so! There wer two double bedrooms (one ensuite) and a third bedroom which had 2 sets of bunks in! Very spacious appartment . Very comfortable and clean. The main bathroom was a wee bit odd though, it was like someone forgot to put the bath in it ! Nevertheless it was lovely so next offer coming up will be booked. Also the Phoenix pub next door is great. Lovely food and very welcoming and comfy. All in all a nice relaxing break

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank lulah_j
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Great apartments, we have been at least 10 times but this was probably our last. Returned after a surf trip to find the car park space allocated to us had another car half in our space. Was advised to use the public car park over the road earlier when we asked if any larger spaces were free, but none were available, which I was not keen on as I had all my boards and kit in the back of the van, along with a longboard on the roof. Last time we were here I also had a wetsuit stolen off the balcony.
Anyway, had no choice so used the car park over the road as advised and looks like I've got a parking fine coming from Cornwall council who don't allow overnight parking of vans. I then had to pay a full days parking for the following day that kicked in at 9am.
So if you have a van be warned, if you can't get into your allocated space or have more than 1 vehicle (1 space per apartment) you have nowhere left to go and park.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy B
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My son had his wedding at the Watergate Hotel on 14th September. The Beachcomber apartments seemed the logical place to stay as a 7 day stay at the hotel would have cost a fortune. I booked online for a 2 bed apartment with 2 bathrooms, one en suite, with a sea view. The apartment surpassed my expectations. The views were to die for. It was beautifully fitted out with quality items such as matching blinds and curtains in the huge lounge and the kitchen equipment appeared to be all brand new. The box containing the iron was empty and the hair dryer was old and grubby and when we mentioned it brand new items were provided immediately. The bathrooms were spotless and sparkling and looked brand new. The staff were helpful and friendly. The wedding was perfect and the apartments made the whole trip a holiday to remember. Definitely the best rental experience of all time.

Room Tip: Research as much as possible and look to see what other people say. Given a choice always get the se...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Steelcitygirl2013
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We spent 3 days at Beachcomber apartments in August 2013. We stayed in Apartment 31, which had a sea view and large outside patio area. The apartment had one bedroom with two single beds and an en suite toilet. There was also a spacious shower room with toilet and wash basin too. The shower had constant hot water and good pressure. The living area was open plan from the kitchen area too which was equipped with fridge, oven, dishwasher and a good selection of clean crockery and cutlery. Even dishwasher tablets are provided. The main sofa converts to a full double bed which our 15 year old daughter used and found it to be very comfortable. The lounge had tv, dvd etc, which we only used while returning to our apartment etc. Some have said the TV's are old and the apartments look outdated and whilt our TV was not a flat screen, it still looked modern and whilst the decor was a little more old fashioned than say our own house, everything was spotless, comfortable and the apartment was a great base while we toured the area. Watergate bay is a 10 minute drive from Newquay centre. Watergate is very popular with surfers, which we are not, but the bay is huge with plenty of room to sunbathe, walk, fly a kite and of course surf. Dogs are permitted on this beach too. Next door to the apartment is a Pub/Restaurant called The Phoenix. They serve Real Ale, quality food and were a real friendly bunch. They do get busy in the evening, but will accept a booking if you pop your head in and reserve for later. Prices were really good here and the food was quite exceptional. Some evenings they have live entertainment downstairs, but this is quiet acoustic stuff, not loud or raucous. Just a mile up the coast on the way to Newquay, you go through another beach called Porth, this is a really good traditional beach without the surf and the pub there called The Mermaid is another great stop for quality pub grub. We also visited Padstow while here, just 10 miles up the cost and really a first class small fishing port made famous by Rick Stein and his Restaurants. We also went to St Austell Brewery again approx 10 miles away. Great to tour and they have a Bar Restaurant called Hick's Bar which serve really good food and it is suitable for all ages. In conclusion, a great location, quality accommodation and i'd stay there again anytime.

Room Tip: Rooms with a Sea View are worth the extra, because they have either a balcony or patio area with tab...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family