“Fabulous weekend at Watergate bay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Watergate Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here two years ago and rated it highly then. But since our last visit the hotel has developed its Swim Club, a fantastic pool, spa and outdoor deck area. The hotel is on the beach and the whole interaction of the Swim Club with the beach works brilliantly. You can store wet suits and boards in lockers at the side of the hotel minutes from the beach. Go surfing, come back and shower down in hot showers by the lockers and then make your way up to the swim club for a swim, hot tub etc. We thought it a fab addition to the hotel. The food and service remains excellent. We had exactly the same room as before and it didn't appear to have aged in any way. I think the hotel looks after the standards of the rooms very well. Parkings as always was busy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NCB24

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We recently stayed for 3 nights with our two children during the summer holidays. I was expecting it to be rammed with children but although busy it was not at all over crowded. We were able to easily find a table in the lovely Living Space restaurant and enjoyed fantastic views of the bay. Great value meal as well.
We had a best family suite in the Coach house which was spacious, clean and quiet. There was no real need to pay extra for a sea view room as it was so nearby.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel especially for those with children. Quite pricey in the holidays but well worth it. Cant wait to visit again!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Snookymum
Reviewed August 6, 2013

booked four nights in a non front facing best family suite.
flew to newquay from london gatwick 1h10 (£40 each way) which amounted to less than the petrol cost (yay!!) and avoided five hour drive!!! (nqy airport ten mins from hotel £10 each way)
on arrival our bags were held and we were asked for a mobile number incase the room was available earlier - (arrived at 10am) at 12:30 a phone call to confirm the room was ready, which was a welcome surprise.
I had booked a dinner bed and breakfast for my son as he is a toddler and early dinner was a good choice. I had contacted the hotel prior to booking to alert of his allergies (wheat, dairy,eggs, gluten, nuts and soy) I was a little apprehensive of handing over the reigns of non contaminated cooking to someone else but it had to be done at some point! so first tea time arrived, my sons name and our room number were known by the lady as well as his allergies (making us feel very happy that the message had been passed on to the relevant people) tea came and included a dessert which was not what the other children were having showing that the kitchen had gone out of their way to accommodate!
Breakfast - on arrival - again, name and room number were known (at this point felt a little like we were famous!) and again - gluten free sausages, dairy and soy free milk, approved cereal and baked beans! my son had four courses at breakfast! at this point I was ready to move in!
every day was the same - breakfast and dinner were extremely well catered for him and we left watergate bay without even a skin rash let alone a food allergy reaction!
The bedding was so lovely that I asked for suppliers and have since stocked my linen cupboard with the same! housekeeping were extremely helpful and thorough.
wait staff- very attentive.
breakfast room - this has received a little criticism for the view, I have to say that I feel guests may be a little greedy on this point -you get the best view I have ever seen from the pool, the living space, the spa and the outdoor deck, you will only be at breakfast for about an hour, two at the most - I did not find an issue with a partial view of the sea - the choice at breakfast included everything that you would expect and the smoked salmon was especially delicious!
Every member of staff treated us with a great deal of respect and courtesy, the kids club was utilized, and I found this to be extremely well run. The babysitting service tech pack was great to own for a £50 returnable deposit, the gentleman who dropped it off installed it for me too which was very nice!
room service was prompt! (chocolate pudding at 11pm)..dont judge!!!!

to conclude- I will probably return to the hotel for every year (I have already booked another for this year)it is great even in the bad weather - the fact that you can also bring your dog is a great touch as we plan to get one soon!

Room Tip: best family suite - gorgeous
3  Thank miablue
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Treated my husband to a night here for his birthday. I paid £420 for the night for dinner bed and breakfast in the top priced suite, requested and got room 21, I expected for the money a luxurious room and we weren't disappointed it was stunning.
Check in at 3pm is quite late but you can use all the facilities without any problem they gave us a key card for access to the swim/spa area when we arrived at mid-day, we then had a drink on the terrace, lunch at nearby Beach Hut, then came back and used the pool area, lovely sitting in the hot tub overlooking the beautiful views of the beach.
Room was ready at 3pm as stated and we loved it, bath in the window with a Juliette balcony, plus fab bathroom with shower for 2 with 4 shower heads !! all extremely clean and well furnished, if you want a romantic night choose room 21. unspoilt views from the 2 front facing windows.
We opted for the dinner inclusive option, whilst was very nice the menu had about 5 main options and my husband being a big meat lover was slightly disappointed that there was no steak option but was still enjoyable.
After booking I read lots of reviews about kids and dogs so was apprehensive but wasn't an issue, both were very well behaved and didn't make any difference to our stay, people were all respectful of one another.
Breakfast was ok standard buffet style. Had large range of drinks in the bar and extensive wine list.
All the staff we came into contact with through reception, cleaners to waitressing staff were all friendly and efficient and a credit to the hotel.
Would definitely recommend and stay again. Thanks all for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Room 21 for that added luxury and great views
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oscar1995
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed for four nights on a B&B basis. This hotel has some lovely features. The Living Space, the spa area, the pool and Lounge, the excellent and friendly staff cannot be faulted. We could always find a quiet space to sit and read, with a view. Fabulous location and views, beach adjacent and good parking, plus a great idea to have locked cages on the way up to the hotel to leave the wetsuits, spades in. The food in the Living Space was imaginative, large enough portions and reasonably priced we thought. The chef grilled the hake when asked, rather than fry, and the scallops and steak, flatbread starters, roasted veg and burgers were all superb. So far, so good.
However, we were very disappointed with our room and having looked at it we told the staff immediately and they were very helpful within their limits as the hotel was fully booked. From their reaction we suspect that we are not the first people to have had these issues with this room.
We paid over £400 per night B&B for 2 adults and our 13 year old son on a Z-bed in Room 2.
It is a King room with a sea view, but the sea view is only one quarter of the view, the lower half being the grey flat roof of the bar, below, and the upper quarter the sky. Which is nice in itself, one half sea and sky, but you would need to put a chair on top of the bed to get the view that I thought I was paying £400 a night for.
The rooms either side had balconies but ours had a bath in the bay window. When you are in a bath you can only see sky, and we would have preferred an opening window and a balcony.
And the curtains? First, they were hanging down which the staff quickly rectified. Second, they were not wide enough for the windows. I do like curtains to do their thing, to keep the light out. Why dress up the room with wall art made from driftwood planks and scrimp on another yard of fabric?
I have come to expect a small bar of soap for washing but here it is a fixed-to-the-wall hand-wash. And who needs hand lotion, with its plug of thick gloopy residue from the previous occupant's use?
The tea and coffee making facilities are basic. UHT milk tubs and only 2 cups. Our son is 13, and charged at 75% adult rate even in our room so I think he deserves a cup, a towel, a bathrobe, a toothbrush mug......Other family friendly hotels nearby provide a small fridge and fresh milk, but not here.
I know that some of the reviewers have had issues with children running around. We grin and bear it in the hope that it keeps us young, and it is school holidays. But, some of the parents really do need a stern talking to. Apart from the general busyness at breakfast (great selection, freshly cooked) with toddlers being encouraged to be very grown up and help themselves to individual baked beans by their parents, there was a high chair next to our table that looked as though the parents had added their crusts to the pile on the floor before leaving. Please. To their credit, the staff get on with it and keep the tables cleared and clean.
Will we return? Well, probably, out of season, on a special offer and in a different room.

Room Tip: Try a room on the second floor for better views.
2  Thank Mossdeeping20
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel again with my three year old twins having had an absolutely brilliant holiday here last year. The location is stunning and the views from the bar and the ocean sea view room tremendous. The room was spacious and pleasant and the children's club had a lovely selection of toys and books for all children to play with when they are not on the beach including an outside climbing frame. The only criticism is that a few more cars would be useful! An absolutely wonderful beach holiday for parents and children. We have already booked to come back for a couple of days over the bank holiday. Keep it up.

1  Thank Michelle L
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We enjoyed three nights here in 2012. It's in a fantastic position and so close to the beach you almost feel as if you're on a ship. Our only complaints were the constant playing of piped music and the sodium lights on all night in the car park. We asked if these could be turned off and very kindly, the management complied and we slept much better! We were there as an elderly couple but feel this would be a particularly good hotel for those with children. In fact, some of our family are going there this year for that very reason. We would suggest that the really beautiful downstairs lounge by the Spa could be a child and music free zone. It would be the only part of the hotel that is and would be considerate to those who just want to sit and gaze at the fabulous view, or read in peace. The restaurant was the only disappointment. The food is pretty good but the organisation is chaotic and really does need re-thinking. The buffet style breakfast meant you either got hot bacon and cold toast, or vice versa. We greatly enjoyed a meal at the Beach Shack and two meals at Jamie's, just across the car park.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple