“Perfect Weekend”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Watergate Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Last weekend I was treated to a weekend stay at the Watergate Bay Hotel by my wife on my Birthday .
My reaction on arrival was WOW !!

I have stayed in hotels that have fantastic locations on many occasions but often find that the hotels owners and staff rely heavily on the location to attract guests and can arrogantly fall short on the hospitality front.

The Watergate Hotel has both a location to be very proud of and a Staff to be even prouder off .
The standard of hospitality here was 5 star and I just loved the way the whole place had a freindly laid back , 'Take it Easy' atmosphere.

Our Room which was, as they describe, a better double had an amazing sea view and was larger than expected . the bedding and furniture was very nice and in keeping with the beach/Surfing theme .

Breakfast was superb and everyone was made to feel special as they entered the dining room .

5 star service was provided while i had my breakfast in shorts . tee shirt and flip flops !!

I often feel that an an expensive room in a hotel is a waist of money as most of my time is spent away from the Hotel but in the case of this Hotel i felt I got value for money as I could not find a reason to want to leave the tranquility of the place.

I was so comfortable in this hotel I was tempted into the spar and treatment rooms with my wife for some luxury treatments . Glad I did because the high standards carry through to this facility and the large Chill out room with its large picture windows looking down to the beach was just fantastic .

There were a few families with pre school children around the hotel which may bother a few guests but as far as I was concerned (who on this occasion left the kids at Home)this was not an issue and anyway there are pleanty of areas in the hotel to move to where it is very quiet and chilled .

Well done the Watergate Hotel hope to come back soon.

Room Tip: room 126 was not the most expensive but was fantastic with an amazing view .
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Back for what I think is our 7th visit, this time accompanied by some friends who were staying for the first time. The changes are fantastic, love the new pool and residents lounge, the girls loved the treatments..! We were on a Taste of the Bay deal, very good value when you consider you can eat dinner in three, great, but different restaurants and not have to drive...
The hotel was quite quiet, a few pre school families, a few older people so it was a little different, but equally relaxing in a slightly chilled way. The staff were as ever, friendly, attentive and efficient but maybe a couple still a little new. The hotel restaurant is still not quite right in terms of style/decor, but that may be a personal taste. Loved our evening in the Beach Hut, Laura, the Manager,was fab and fun. Fifteen was great, super food. One of our party wasn't sure about the white tables and I thought the wine overpriced. My tip, don't go too cheap on the wine, the iniquitous mark ups some restaurants charge (add £10 to the cost and double it?) mean you're better buying a slightly more expensive wine.
Our first timer friends loved the trip, "better than we thought it was going to be, and our expectations were high..!" We will be back....

Room Tip: We chose "House Better" rooms, they were good but not that large. Having said that, we did...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Edsnote
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great stay at this relaxed friendly beach side hotel. We gathered to celebrate a family members 60 th birthday . There were 15 of us ranging in age from 13 to 92. We made full use of the swim club. The spa treatments were so relaxing. The restaurant team had thoughtly arranged an annex so we could all sit privately together for the birthday celebration meal. The meal was delicious . The next day we descended to the beach hut for Sunday lunch. Once again the service was excellent & the food was yummy. Our 3 westies were made very welcome. Long walks on the beach & cliff paths.
We enjoyed ourselves so much we are going to make it an annual event.

Room Tip: Ocean rooms are amazing but expensive. We are happy staying in the better rooms in the coach house w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BlueseaDevon
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have been to the hotel many times, its a unique place. The hotel has had a refurb, and its fantastic. The views are fabulous of the bay, 15, Jamie Olivers is just across the car park, and if you fancy an apartement, the Beachcomber Apt are just a short walk up the road. I have stayed there many times and they are lovely. The food in the Hotel is a very good standard and 15 has a new taster menu and you can also choose 4 courses off the main menu. Over the hill is the Porth Veor Hotel with Beaucliffes Restaurant with fine dining, its superb. There is deals with travelsmith incorporating 15 and the Beaucliffes, excellent value. There is a bus stop inbetween the Watergate Hotel and the Beachcomber apt. All in all excellent value, and superb accom.

Room Tip: Phone the hotel and ask, they are always ready to help, to make your stay special.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited in Feb with children for my birthday. Was a little worried as it was half term and other reviewers had suggested it could be manic! Nothing was further from the truth. We swam 3 times and had the pool to ourselves twice. We even managed a quiet session in the hot tub - a real tart. Family room was good. At dinner I was treated to champagne on the house and at dessert time the staff came out and sang happy birthday - with a birthday message iced on the plate. It really made me feel special. We all loved relaxing in the big comfy chairs, with the sun shining through the large windows and I even managed to read the newspapers. Would recommend and will visit again.

Room Tip: We had a room around the back and altogether close to the road it was not noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cacky76
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel really knows how to look after customers. The place itself is really five star, yet relaxed and laid back. The rooms and facilities are first class, the products in the bathrooms smell beautiful, the food is delicious, the drinks are served quickly and are lovely and the setting is to die for. The pool and the treatments are also first class.

Right on the beach, Jamie's next door' padstow up the road there is really nothing here you could fault. Well worth the money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheDalys_10
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We visit Cornwall every year and love what has been done with this hotel. Whilst retaining its original character, it incorporates the best of modern hotels and very cleverly takes full advantage of its spectacular location. The staff were all young, polite and enthusiastic and could not have been more helpful. The hotel was just about full during our 4-day stay, but there was always plenty of space to relax in comfort and enjoy the views - log fires, comfy sofas etc. Fabulous swimming pool. We dined well throughout our stay and would definitely like to return to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#10 of 37 in Newquay
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth

Been to Watergate Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!